banjar 'building' fees

meremortal

Jun 12, 2023
Clearly people have different experiences with the local bureaucracy and they for sure aren't all happy but, out of curiosity, can you say where you are on the island?

Apparently I live in a blissfully happy corner of Bali where I've never heard of anything like this happening in the last 15 years around me.

Sadly some people cause this type of reaction with the way they confront their neighbors and treat the locals. I have seen that type of reaction often enough usually from old Colonial Dutchmen and egotistical, been here 30 times with my 'Balinese family' and they will always look after me, Ozzies. Not saying this is the present situation but have just seen similar things like this.
it's so good to hear your views as they are more positive but with caution. thank you again. i'm now in a quandary what to do! but have a bit of time to ponder ....

meremortal

Jun 12, 2023
what happens when there is a thunder clap, a great bright light in the sky, a bunch of little winged angels appear and start blowing trumpets and out of the cloud steps this bloke with a beard, long hair and a white robe and he says, "Lo and behold I have returned. Follow me for eternal life." Do you trust him?
that's SO funny!!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
it's so good to hear your views as they are more positive but with caution. thank you again. i'm now in a quandary what to do! but have a bit of time to ponder ....
I think many people leave behind a terrible life and find one again where they've fled to - I suspect they may have brought it with them or at least the capability to create one.

I say to anyone wishing to have a good experience of Bali to try and find some locals to support you that you can give your trust to even if you are paying them for theirs. The higher up the food chain they are and with deep (Balinese) religious beliefs - actually a no-brainer here, a good, respected member of the local society, family with children and a good stable job and you will have few problems. Get everything in writing, remember a verbal agreement isn't worth the paper it's written on. Be friendly and humble in your needs and respect their beliefs and customs - that doesn't mean you should dress like them or follow their holidays or ceremonies (unless you like that stuff) but just have some understanding for this world. Story: friend called me up livid with anger as the man I'd recommended to him was taking a day other than the agreed weekend off without begging my friends permission. I had to point out to my friend that he was possibly the only person on the island that didn't realize it was a full moon that day and that ALL the locals take off for that day and many more. Expats seem to make the mistake thinking they can act and regulate life here with contracts and witnesses and judicial b.s. just like can where they come from - it just aint so, sorry.

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
what happens when there is a thunder clap, a great bright light in the sky, a bunch of little winged angels appear and start blowing trumpets and out of the cloud steps this bloke with a beard, long hair and a white robe and he says, "Lo and behold I have returned. Follow me for eternal life." Do you trust him?
I'll gave no choice, death is just another step in life....

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
think many people leave behind a terrible life and find one again where they've fled to - I suspect they may have brought it with them or at least the capability to create one.
Most of the time it's ignorance, lack of general culture and thinking that they found paradise....

And that's before the girlie thing jumps in....

Reactions: Markit

Foamcrest

Jun 11, 2016
Markit I agree with you wholeheartedly.
Even though we don’t live there we have some amazing Bali friends who we value greatly. There are those who visit or live in Bali who only scratch the surface of the Balinese people and their culture as they, knowingly or from sheer ignorance, perceive themselves as above or superior to the ‘natives’. Additionally Markit lives in an area I call ‘the real Bali’, wrong I know but it’s just my feeling for the area. It’s changing of course as the western influences infiltrate the area to the betterment, in it a lot of cases to the locals. We all make mistakes like the time I was at a family ceremony and when I received the grain of rice I ate it instead of putting it on my forehead. My ignorance of the culture but they all laughed and were not offended. We’ve been to weddings, funerals blessings including our villa. We have a spirit, a beautiful woman who comes from the ravine that runs beside our villa. She been seen by our staff and an Australian woman who lives nearby. It’s all about Bali and people. We love them their culture and customs.
Well said Markit.

Reactions: Markit

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
It's interesting that people are ignoring the subject matter of the person talking about how the local Banjar is trying to bleed the foreigner for money! As they said, once they pay for so called access there will be something in the future the Banjar will want more money for! If a person is developing a piece of land, building a house, hiring construction crews, shopping locally, probably hiring many locals for various things. Isn't that enough? I've never understood how someone can sell land without access? What if a person just wants to develop a piece of land how they want as long as it's not hurting the water flow or building a bridge, to get to their home. Why can't they just be left in peace? Why should a person be forced to pay the local community money? If they want to participate in the local religious ceremonies, then they can join the Banjar and pay fees, but what if they don't? It seems to live here there is a tax on just living here, not only to the government but to the local community also.
It's nice some have found friends here, but that has nothing to do with the original subject!

Reactions: Balifrog

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
It's interesting that people are ignoring the subject matter of the person talking about how the local Banjar is trying to bleed the foreigner for money! Nobody is ignoring anything - you are just too underlit to see what we are talking about - for the low wattage among us - it's not about a particular problem it's about the entire mind set that's causing the problems. As they said, once they pay for so called access there will be something in the future the Banjar will want more money for! Of course there will be - have you not heard of council tax? sales tax? inheritance tax, vat ? etc. these are all methods of extracting further payments from trapped individual. The secret is to try and keep them to a minimum. If a person is developing a piece of land, building a house, hiring construction crews, shopping locally, probably hiring many locals for various things. Isn't that enough? Is that "enough" in any other country in the world? Suggest you build a house in your home town Buttfuk, Idaho and try convincing the the other Buttfukians you've paid enough and they ain't getting a dime more for water/road/trash/rates/taxes. I've never understood how someone can sell land without access? And I've never understood how someone can BUY land without access? What if a person just wants to develop a piece of land how they want as long as it's not hurting the water flow or building a bridge, to get to their home. Why can't they just be left in peace? And all sitting around singing Kumbaya trading organic, vegan recipes. Why should a person be forced to pay the local community money? See above If they want to participate in the local religious ceremonies, then they can join the Banjar and pay fees, but what if they don't? It seems to live here there is a tax on just living here, not only to the government but to the local community also.
It's nice some have found friends here, but that has nothing to do with the original subject!
You need to up the meds friend.

Foamcrest

Jun 11, 2016
I’m not sure the moderator would allow the type of photos you’re thinking about..well the ones I’m thinking about anyway!

JDW100

Sep 21, 2020
Clearly people have different experiences with the local bureaucracy and they for sure aren't all happy but, out of curiosity, can you say where you are on the island?

Apparently I live in a blissfully happy corner of Bali where I've never heard of anything like this happening in the last 15 years around me.

Sadly some people cause this type of reaction with the way they confront their neighbors and treat the locals. I have seen that type of reaction often enough usually from old Colonial Dutchmen and egotistical, been here 30 times with my 'Balinese family' and they will always look after me, Ozzies. Not saying this is the present situation but have just seen similar things like this.
Some examples from South, one from Ubud.

I have no issue in paying some money for Banjar. If it was transparent process. I actually really like the culture here and the idea of Banjar. I’m happy to help pay for ceremonies and we always use pecalang if we have a party (usually kid’s birthday) at home. Do cleaning with community in our gang…but they would still have taken us for extra money if they could get away with it.

None of my examples has been bule being arrogant- all the above are banjar being greedy. Everybody above has done their best to do things in the right way. These are decent people.

What winds me up the most is that these guys can extort money and then smile at you the next day.

With our local banjar taking 500 instead of 100 - one of guys that comes to collect the monthly money sat in my house and complained about one of my neighbours being rude and not speaking to him. Getting maid to come out with the donation. It’s because you knowingly ripped him off then refused to give back the money!

I can give you another example of an older lady we met. Had lived next to her Balinese ‘family’ for many years; birthdays, weddings always invited. Very close. Had a house built -owned by one of the ’family’ through the nominee system. That generation of family started dying off and son of one of her ‘family’ decided one day he would take her house. That was that.

Reactions: Shadrach

Foamcrest

Jun 11, 2016
I don’t doubt what you are saying and I sympathise with the lady who lost her home through the nomine system. Im sure that is not an isolated instance . There are better and more secure ways of ‘owning‘ a home in Bali which others will be more familiar with. personally we simply leased our land for 25 years with a 10 year option. Paid the rent upfront, bui the house no problems. Our daughter will have to negotiate the terms of the option and at the expiration of that term the villa will be handed back to the Balinese landowners or their heirs. Finish, full stop. That was the deal we made. Australians particularly have a hard time understanding the fact we just give the house back as our culture is so driven by home ownership. I fear there are going to be many more incidents of sons or daughters claiming the houses after the initial nomine dies. They simply don’t understand that as much as you twist and turn only Balinese can own land in Bali.

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
I don’t doubt what you are saying and I sympathise with the lady who lost her home through the nomine system. Im sure that is not an isolated instance . There are better and more secure ways of ‘owning‘ a home in Bali which others will be more familiar with. personally we simply leased our land for 25 years with a 10 year option. Paid the rent upfront, bui the house no problems. Our daughter will have to negotiate the terms of the option and at the expiration of that term the villa will be handed back to the Balinese landowners or their heirs. Finish, full stop. That was the deal we made. Australians particularly have a hard time understanding the fact we just give the house back as our culture is so driven by home ownership. I fear there are going to be many more incidents of sons or daughters claiming the houses after the initial nomine dies. They simply don’t understand that as much as you twist and turn only Balinese can own land in Bali.
It's simply another mode of renting....

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
We should do an entire post on "the girlie" thing - with photos.
When I arrived here, I already had more than my share of Asian girls.

Very little interest in any of the locals now. In fact the only ones that I tried (without success) to chat up here were Japanese and Koreans.

That's another level.... Bit like comparing economy and first class !

Oops, off topic again

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
Yes I was told the Balinese own the land, but you own the house and have the right to sell it or pass it on to relatives. It's up to you what option you take!

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
I 've never heard of a council tax! And inheritance, sales, Vat, etc. those have nothing to do with having a home here except for sales tax if you sell the house. You don't own the land unless you have an Indonesian wife, then She owns the land! And as you say, if you build a home in the States, maybe you have your own well or spring so don't owe anyone more $ for water. As for the road, again, that depends on where you live. Maybe you own your own road. Taxes are understood for all, such as property tax, that goes to the local government. And income tax for the Feds. It all depends on how and where you live. Pereonally I don't know of any one sitting around singing Kumbaya and trading vegan recipes. Maybe the only people you sit around with sing drunken sailor songs, swilling cheap, crappy beer! That's up to each person. It's so nice to hear how much you love your local Banjar!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
It's so nice to hear how much you love your local Banjar!
Wouldn't know my local banjar if they came and kissed me.

Seriously don't understand what the contributors to this post have with their banjar?!

Mine come around once a year and want a million for the upkeep of local churches/ceremonies/fuknows and I give it and they go away happy until next year.

Reactions: Paraweta007

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
When I arrived here, I already had more than my share of Asian girls.

Very little interest in any of the locals now. In fact the only ones that I tried (without success) to chat up here were Japanese and Koreans.

That's another level.... Bit like comparing economy and first class !

Oops, off topic again
Now that's just plain bragging. Where were shares in Asian girls handed out please? Is there a long line? With no offense the Korean girls are all just clumsy Indonesians - big and sloppy and the Japanese are all morally suspect because so many of them seem to like Japanese men, go figure.