Balinese Rice

Thorsten

Nov 30, 2002
Germany
For Ronb,

this will become a hard piece of work now for me and unfortunately I will have serious problems to explain some very important points, simply due to a lack of the correct English terminologies, but I also don’t like to spend my weekend with internet research for this, so I will give it a try.

Your statement
The Green Revolution made this possible and while issues like insecticides etc are real and need attention wistful ideas like perhaps undoing the Green Revolution won't fly unless you also halve the population.

We could certainly debate for the rest of our life about the pros and contras of industrial agriculture, but since the headline of this thread is Balinese rice, I suggest we will stay focused on this?

Balance – isn’t it all what Bali is about?

Just 100 years ago every farmer on this world had a very solid knowledge about his personal micro cosmos, thousands and thousands years of experience have been forwarded from one generation to the next, the state of agriculture was based on founded knowledge about natural processes achieved by doing and observation.
Without any kind of modern scientific research, the human being found out that the symbiosis of flora and fauna is the only way to achieve successful farming, the people have known about the complexity of an ecosystem and their influence on it, they have known about the soil, the water and the wind, they have known how to use animals to improve their progress and so much more.

Lansing’s studies are a magnificent masterpiece of research, from an ethnological point of view he pictures in an impressive way how rice farming developed a social system over the centuries and (some will not like it) the fundamental importance of the religion in this development.
Balance – the balance of on ecosystem, the balance of water management, the balance within the community, all held together by religion.
Balinese have created a perfect system for cultivating wet rice, an ecosystem where flora and fauna have been in balance, only this balance assured successful harvest, they always understood that the fauna in the soil and the other animals are necessary for the rice to grow, the efficiency of this symbiosis is documented in different scientific studies.

Given the fact, that industrial influence on this system has caused more ecological and economical problems than it would have improved something, I will try to give you an impression from a botanical point of view on that matter.

Wet rice is a hydro culture, the most sensitive way to cultivate plants.

The main problem when plants are cultivated in standing water is the ongoing enrichment of salt on the surface of the substrate, in a sterile environment a permanent water circulation is a must to prevent this process.
In a rice paddy there is usually not much water circulation, so it is existential that the soil is worked, this provides an exchange with the water, the salt concentration is washed out.
Responsible for this job is the fauna inside the soil and all kind of other animals, snails, fishes, ducks, without these field workers the salt concentration will increase until the field is prepared the next time, so you can say the formula is less fauna will demand more water flow to avoid salinity.

Why is the salt content so important?
The water transport inside a plant is caused by the salt concentration within the cells, it’s responsible for the cell pressure, when the plant transpires the cell pressure drops and the salt concentration increases into the direction where the water is leaving the plant, so the concentration is higher at the leaf than at the root.
When the salt concentration in the soil reaches a higher level than inside the plant, the process is reversed, the plant will dry out even standing in the water.

Now let’s have a look what happened after the green revolution.

There was a perfect system in balance based on thousand years of experience, but this experience was wiped out by an industry which tried to improve the perfect.
Irrigation, planting periods, harvesting, periods of recovery for the soil, the calendar for the Subak system was a grown element within Balinese society and all this was ruled by priests, therefore accepted by a religious community.
In a laboratory it’s possible to simulate a lot of things, but it’s absolutely impossible to simulate the complexity of an existing ecosystem, in the intention to improve the efficiency and to modernize agriculture in general, a new philosophy was created, with the help of modern science and its industrial developments, the human being had the intention to gain take control over the system, the idea was to steer the natural processes and to calculate them.

The plan to increase the rice production was based on two things, to improve the yield per hectare by breeding new sorts of plants and to secure three harvesting periods in general, the Balinese had already before sometimes three harvests per year, but was this depending on weather situation and some more aspects.
A higher growth rate indicates also a better nutrition, so additional fertilisation is necessarily, responsible for the growth is Nitrogen given in form of chemical fertilizers, these are relatively cheap to produce in masses, the problem with chemical fertilizers is, the nutrients are tied to salt there, nitrates, sulphates, phosphates.
The effect on the planting is amazing, the Nitrogen is immediately available for the plants and they grow rapidly.

Whoever knows a bit about the basics of fertilization knows also that the nutrition has to be balanced, a plant needs much more than only Nitrogen to grow and here we are coming back to balance, an imbalanced nutrition of the crops will weaken the plant, due to a lack of other elements the rice is now less resistant toward outer influences, with the use of the chemical fertilizers the salt concentration in the field increases, this has directly influence on the fauna in the soil (edaphon) which is also effecting the oxygen content in the ground and the availability of trace elements important for the plant, the plant cannot develop a natural resistance toward insects and other pests anymore, the fauna in the soil decreases, the salt concentration rises and because the lack of worms, snails, etc. the animals which usually use this kind of fauna for food will disappear also little by little, now we have a vulnerable culture, the rice is not very healthy and vulnerable, the soil is less lively, the ducks which worked the surface of the soil by looking for food have been gone.

To avoid a salinity of the rice paddy the water flow must be increased, this means for the farmers in these terraces more work, a pump system for irrigation is not present, to protect the cultures the use of pesticides is a must now, this contributes on the other hand even more to the destruction of the soil fauna.
The industry is producing now newer sorts of rice with higher resistance toward salt content and pests, but the circle has already started to spin, now the farmers are struggling to stabilize the whole process and in this struggle they rely now completely on the industry, new seeds, new pesticides, new fertilizers, new irrigation channels must be build, maybe the use of pumps – not even to speak about the ecological impact on the water, the creeks, the rivers.

Now you could say, ok these are the side effects of higher production rate and regrettable, but even this is not true, when you read the studies where traditional farming and industrial farming are compared now on Bali, you will be amazed that under the line it’s almost the same, but when you compare it on a economical point of view that the advantage of traditional farming is significant.

Rockefeller is a famous name, I don’t know what you will associate with this name, but I don’t think at first about a family which’s first goal is to save the world and fight the hunger.
The income of the farmers world wide dropped since this so-called green revolution, nobody can really say what it was all worth for, who stands behind the most scientific studies in respect to this, who benefits at most from it?
India was presented as a success, have you read about the enormous rate of suicides under Indian farmers last year, they buy the seeds on loans, then they get almost nothing for the product, we are selling seeds to Africa and afterwards we are exporting the ready product in this areas for the price of the seeds, farmers are driven into bankrupt, fields are not cultivated anymore, than we send aid.

You just must have a look at the agriculture politics of the EU, this is already so absurd and perverted that you sometimes don’t know if to laugh or to cry about it.
Is there really not enough food on this world for the population, we grow wheat and then we burn it, millions over millions of tons over capacity are only produced for the garbage year by year, all sponsored by tax payers, we export agricultural products into nations for prices the local farmers cannot compete anymore, at the other hand we are charging Western prices in even these countries for the seeds, the fertilizers, the pesticides and everything else we are producing here, then we put extra high import customs on the products of these nations to avoid them from exporting the product back to us.

best regards
Thorsten

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Thorsten congratulations on a masterly work and I take my hat off to you for effort and conviction - I can't imagine translating the same amount of work into German (although I speak and read it fluently) that you have done into English.

And it does deserve an answer although I found myself losing the will to live about 1/3 of the way through and you probably won't like or agree with what I say.

I just wish you hadn't used quite so many examples and drawn so many parallels without founding them in accepted facts and statistics. For example:

1) Just 100 years ago every farmer on this world had a very solid knowledge about his personal micro cosmos.

That's why there were massive famines and a world population numbering in the hundreds of millions - they really didn't have a clue, they had mostly never read a book or been to school so information, rumour and old wives tales were passed down from, badly fed, generation to scurvy ridden generation.

2) Without any kind of modern scientific research, the human being found out that the symbiosis of flora and fauna is the only way to achieve successful farming.

Bollocks - they knew almost nothing about symbiosis in terms of ecology or husbandry - it simply wasn't studied. It's only fairly recently that capitalism has seen fit to do serious research into crop yields and pest removal to the ends of increasing output to sell. Back then it was just local custom and some knowledge of the area and local usages. They went hungry regularly.

I could go on and on but I'm sure you are also losing the will to live so I would just like to say in closing that it's not always right and correct to presume that "back then" everything was done better or that they "knew the right way" but that our modern civilization has somehow forgotten/usurped that idyllic way of life for the demon of profit.

Don't forget that the greatest invention ever in the history of the world that has helped the most people, cured the most illnesses, improved and lengthened life the most and directly caused a population explosion that allows for 2 world wars to go unnoticed in the population statistics of the last century has been:

Inside toilets!!!

Thorsten

Nov 30, 2002
Germany
Markit,

I had no intention to doctorate with this posting, since I’m rather lazy I tried to keep it as short as possible, I also tried to keep it as simple as possible, that even a superficial Big Mac economist, like you are one, would be able to understand the context, obviously and unfortunately I failed with this, but I’m not even very surprised though.

I’m very aware, that most of these financial market parasites do think they are the elite of humankind and when you’re always in the rush to create the next bubble it’s more than understandable that there is not much time to occupy with something like history, or other useless things, never less at least, even in lack of every kind of comprehension, a minimum of respect toward the achievements of former generations would be desirable.

Trust me Markit, they have been knowing what they are doing or talking about – do you?

Best regards
Thorsten

PS: Glad for you, that you have an inside toilet!

Kadek

Dec 6, 2005
Australia
Hi Markit,

After reading your response to Thorsten’s great posting, in my mind, your religion must be economic growth, consumption and technology. The more technologies we have to exploit nature, the more products can be produced and sold, the more can be consumed and generated as waste, the greater the economic growth and thus the more prosperous human society become. That’s progress and advancement in humanity!!!

When a perfectly working system of agriculture that has been sustainable for millennia is not proven in paper and ink by a study, then that knowledge is non-existent – is this right??

I mean, how could they know about balance with nature (symbiosis), ecosystem processes, physical and biological properties of plants and soil, etc, if these traditional farmers didn’t even know what books are or know how to write not to mention how to read.

Well many (maybe most) Balinese farmers today, also don’t read books. They just do what they are told to do.

Are they better off now? I don’t think so. They have less control over their rice cultivation compared to before; they have less knowledge of what they are doing now simply because they rely on “scholars and studied officers” to tell them. The control of rice cultivation has been taken away from the individual farmers and the collective of farmers to the policy makers, seeds and chemical producers.

not always right and correct to presume that "back then" everything was done better or that they "knew the right way" but that our modern civilization has somehow forgotten/usurped that idyllic way of life for the demon of profit.

Of course it is not correct to assume that everything was perfect and idyllic back in the old days. But it is also not always correct to assume that every new inventions and technological advancement are progress.

Many of the practices of modern day society are not sustainable. Economic growth is the measure of prosperity today, but one thing modern economy failed to take into account is nature. Nature is not valued for what it really worth. Nature is an externality in the equation. We are putting pressure on natural resources and the environment without regarding balance, symbiosis and carrying capacity and limitation (although we have tons of knowledge regarding these issues today). We assume that growth can be sustained indefinitely.

As long as the economy is growing, everything is just going to be fine. Or so we are made to believe!

Regards
Kadek

P.S And just for your information – Balinese farmers (well not only them) still don’t have inside toilets!!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I'm sure you guys are right - for you. I think it's just worth bearing in mind that when you look around you at all the things (right and wrong) that civilization has brought about - be it hospitals, war or flights to the moon - and everything in between. They have all been made possible by one thing:

Farming over-production - by moving from a system of subsistence farming, back in the mists of history, to where each farmer was able to produce more than he and his family could consume. This, and this alone, has enabled us to develop priests, doctors, police, soldiers, yep - pretty much the whole shooting match.

Glorification of the "sweaty brow" of the honest and worthy subsistence farmer pretty much forgets that if things had stayed that way we all wouldn't be here...

I'm sure no pedantic reader out there will mistake this as a blanket acceptance on my part for all that has happened since the advent of subsistence farming and the development of modern civilization - right Thorsten?

Kadek if you were to show your average Balinese, Thai, German or UK farmer what their predecessor's short and brutal lives were really like (with the wonderful symbiotic understanding and in tune with nature as you profess it to have been). Do you honestly think you would find 1 that would willingly trade places?

Nostalgia is wonderful - on TV. :cry: :cry:

Nature is wonderful and beautiful and we all live in it and enjoy walks in the woods or jungles with the smell of green things growing. But nature is also the wolf in the woods that will eat your children and the unpredictability of weather that will destroy your whole crop and allow your family to starve slowly.

Enough philosophy - I would love to try all the different types of Balinese rice and I will do it too - soon. Any good rice recipes out there?

Susie

Feb 16, 2007
Ireland
I have been a lurker on the forum for some time. This is my first posting!
Im not sure that Im allowed to copy/paste from other websites so Im just giving you a link instead.
It is to an article from the Bali Advertiser which I found most interesting on the subject of rice growing in Bali.
I have visited the Sari organic farm in Ubud. Wonderful place with wonderful and very delicious rice. They also have organic vegetables for sale.
http://www.baliadvertiser.biz/articles/ ... ncing.html

Kadek

Dec 6, 2005
Australia
Re: RE: Balinese Rice

Markit said:
:

Kadek if you were to show your average Balinese, Thai, German or UK farmer what their predecessor's short and brutal lives were really like (with the wonderful symbiotic understanding and in tune with nature as you profess it to have been). Do you honestly think you would find 1 that would willingly trade places?

I think Susie has just provided the answer to your question. And who said, live was always short and brutal in the old days?

Thank you Susie. I found the article very interesting and I hope more farmers will adopt this strategy.

And welcome to the forum :D

Best Regards
Kadek

Susie

Feb 16, 2007
Ireland
This link isn,t working. Sorry about that.
If you go to the Bali Advertiser site. Go to Articles/Greenspeak. You will find many interesting articles. The one I was trying to show is titled "Ubud Farmers Market Bridges The Gap"

Thorsten

Nov 30, 2002
Germany
Hi Susie,

welcome to the forum and many, many, many thanks for providing this link !

I must admit, that even I was more than surprised to read about the enormous economical improvement given by this example, much more than I had expected!
Don’t forget, this only a very small, isolated project in middle of still chemical polluted agriculture to put the impressing numbers, this farmer delivers in the right context!
I Made Chakra, a young Balinese who has been working for the past two years to return his family’s rice fields to chemical-free production … Two years after chemical use was stopped and the SRI was initiated, harvests doubled.
…If he’d sold it for half that, his profit would still be almost twice that of his neighbour who uses chemicals, plus he makes almost Rp 1.5 juta on the ducks. However you crunch the numbers, he is ahead.)
Harvest +100%, profit +400% in two years, that I would like to call a revolution!
So what has he done to achieve this? The answer is nothing!!!
In fact this farmer simply turned back time for 30 years and did the same what his uneducated ancestors have always done.

To put this numbers in relation, think about that this traditional technique of agriculture has seen not any kind of evolution in the past 30 years, that he is still producing in a contaminated environment, that the bio system surrounding his field is still not intact, that the soil in his fields is still in a process of regeneration after only two years!!!

You can also say that the Green Revolution robbed ¾ of the income from Balinese rice farmers over the last 30years, that’s why they still don’t have inside toilets!

But the most important sentence in this article is:
As understanding spreads that entrepreneurial farmers can make more money, hopefully their children will be encouraged to stay on the land. And raising awareness of Bali’s unique heritage rice varieties is a step in that direction.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Sorry, and I really don't want to rain on your "feel good" party but the example of the young farmer selling his rice for 3+ million is wonderful but not to be compared with the entire rice market. And here's why: he is selling a specialty heritage red rice i.e. selling to the high-end specialty market, not your plain white rice user.

If all the Balinese rice farmers where to follow his glowing example then, basically, they would all starve, sorry but that's the way economics works. Unless the high end, specialty market was to blossom and encompass the whole world rice market it is of very limited application to the rest of Bali or Indonesia. Sorry.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Like I said before, you'll find all you want to know about SRI, I Made Cakra Widia's Sustainable Agriculture Training of Trainers Project and the Rotary Club of Bali Ubud involvement, at

http://www.rotaryubud.org/projects/susA ... ct_Sponsor

The Rotary Club of Bali Ubud has been requested to facilitate funding administration of the Sustainable Agriculture Training of Trainers Project, which is being conducted by Chakra Widia in Bali. Funding for one year has been approved by The Funding Network (TFN); funds will be transferred to a RCBU project account and passed to Chakra as required.

Ongoing RCBU project involvement, over and above the transfer of funds from TFN, occurs only due to the good grace of Chakra Widia and may be terminated by him at any time. The RCBU objective to observe and assess the program is outside the scope of the agreement between Chakra Widia and TFN.

PS. There's even a picture of Made on the page. :)

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Wow! what a lot of valuable information.

However, I see very little recognition of population growth as a major factor causing the changes over the last 50 years. Bali population is now about 3.2 million and now not growing much. In 1950 I believe it would have been 1.6 million at most, and in 1900 I would guess at 1.2 million. Does anyone have information sources that would help here?

The Ubud Rotary page that Tintin points us to says "Rice quality and yield declined as populations grew" - but does not attempt to quantify. I would speculate that rice yields per hectare have not dropped (on average across Bali) and that all the "damage" has come from population growth.

Clearly, while the traditional methods developed over centuries were able to meet the needs of a smaller population, they cannot feed 3.2 million without some changes.

The "Romancing the Rice" page reminds me of the "Real Ale" movement in UK in particular, and the trend to organic farming in general. Connoisseurs are interested enough to seek the "real thing" and are willing to pay premiums, and I would wish the producers catering to these markets every success.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
ronb,

Here are official census figures regarding Bali population

1920 - 947,233
1930 - 1,101,037
1971 - 2,120, 322
1980 - 2,469,930
1990 - 2,777,811
1995 - 2,895,649
2000 - 3,151,162

You educated guess of about 1.6 million is pretty good and most likely correct.

The estimate for 2007 is about 3,200,000 - 3,400,000

Thorsten

Nov 30, 2002
Germany
This all has nothing at all to do with romancing anything or nostalgia , it has also nothing to do with ideology of organic, biological, greener agriculture, maybe indeed (under consideration of export) it could provide an option to a higher price market, but even this is irrelevant on first hand.

Maybe some of you got a wrong impression about my motives in this thread, let me assure you I’m not a greeny, I’m also not dreaming about a Bali 30 years ago, neither I would like to turn back time, much more I see this from an economical aspect!
I don’t want to talk about world population, politics, globalisation or any other, rather abstract matters here in this thread, the topic is Balinese rice and not even in the context, I would like to float into a discussion about industry lobbyism, political failure, whatever, better let’s stay focused on the single, Balinese rice farmer and his personal situation after this so-called Green Revolution.

While estimated 30% of the Balinese population are more or less involved in the tourist industry, 70% of them are not, so to say the majority of the population does not benefit at all from tourism.
Traditionally, agriculture and especially rice farming was and is the main source of income for these people, Bali is an island, but today it’s not the question anymore if Balinese farmers are able to feed the population or not, globalisation also didn’t stop at the shores of Bali, it’s much more the question, is agriculture rentable or not for them.

The price for rice is definite by the market, whoever has seen rice farming in Thailand and will compare it with rice farming in Bali, cultivating rice mostly in steep terraces with paddies, sometimes not even bigger than 100 sqm will understand that the Balinese farmer has no chance at all to compete with it, another factor is the cost of employees and the cost for living in Bali, due to tourism the prices are in general higher than in other parts of Indonesia.

Transport costs in international trade are low, the Balinese farmer is producing an average product, so he will also get an average price for this product, productivity is low due the difficult conditions which make the use of modern technical equipment impossible, human labour is high.
Before the Green Revolution the production costs where almost only definite due the human labour, the farmer was producing the seeds by himself, he had not to buy chemical fertilizers, almost no pesticides – nothing.
With the so-called “Green Revolution” some more other factors were coming together, at the same time the island developed tourism, in the consequence also the local prices for everything else increased, actually the income for the farmer should increase too, to keep the same level of life-standard, at the same time something started which we call now globalisation, so the rice farmers lost the influence on price building, while the costs for production increased now dramatically, in the first years a better yield per hectare due the influence of the modern seeds and intensive use of chemical fertilizers could compensate this a little.
The chemical industry took over the counselling of the farmers, providing more products, newer products, better products, the prices for this products are dictated by them, so the production costs increased and increased, at the other hand the yield per hectare dropped now, the main source for production – the soil died, the ecosystem collapsed and more and more pests were the cause, which are fought now with expensive pesticides, delivered by the same industry.

So the price for the product rice was fixed, the expenses for production increased, the life in general got also more and more expensive.
The tourism industry is advertising Bali all around the world with spectacular images of the rice terraces, a tourist attraction without any doubt and while an unskilled labourer, the people who are preserving and cultivating these terraces gets today 17,500 Rps for a day of hard work, for the Balinese farmer this is even too much, so he gets seasonal workers from Java now, which are doing the job even cheaper in his desperate to reduce some costs.
Rice farming is not providing a solid source of income anymore, more and more Balinese workers are unemployed, the younger people are looking for other jobs.

It’s almost a joke, that the Indonesian government has launched a program now, to get back to sustainable agriculture, it is also a joke, that the SRI program is presented as an innovation, while it is in fact just a return to the time before this Green Revolution, though their statistics about the improvement in different nations of the world are impressing.

In only two generations the knowledge of thousand years was lost, now a training program is teaching Balinese farmers to do the same, they have always done!
When this Balinese farmer Made Cakra is able to double the yield (of course per hectare, per what else, do you think he would even bother to think about the population?) and to increase his profit for 400%, since he simply let the nature do the job, then is this a fundamental change of the economical situation for these farmers!

In agriculture you rely on living elements, it does not work like industrial production, it has nothing to do with eco or not, it is simply fact and these facts have been explored already long time ago.
Balinese rice farmers cannot compete with the world market, but they can try to find a niche for a special product, what will happen with Bali, when all these farmers would give up agriculture, simply due economical pressure, how will the face of Bali change, how will the whole culture change?

Best regards
Thorsten