Bali is suffocating

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Read it here:

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2008/12/27/letter-bali-needs-serious-attention.html

Especially the reaction of Susi Johnston:

I just wrote this rather long piece start to finish, without stopping, in response to two heartfelt comments on the Jakarta Post online reader’s forum. In those comments, the writers were giving voice to their concerns as visitors, about Bali and the issues that this island faces. While their comments were valid, I doubt these two writers could understand the unprecedented and truly bizarre situation which Bali finds itself in now, being all at once many things, among them: a beloved tourism mecca; a crossroads of global and regional cultures; a development boomtown; a small province in a country beset with serious structural, economic and ideological crises many of which are not especially salient in Bali but affect it nevertheless; and a hotbed of internally generated and internally felt conflicts that are unique to the island. All of this is Bali now.

(And this is just the beginning)

(BTW Talking about rodents, there is a rodent between the responders as well)

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
Bert Vierstra said:
Read it here:

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2008/12/27/letter-bali-needs-serious-attention.html

Especially the reaction of Susi Johnston:

I just wrote this rather long piece start to finish, without stopping, in response to two heartfelt comments on the Jakarta Post online reader’s forum. In those comments, the writers were giving voice to their concerns as visitors, about Bali and the issues that this island faces. While their comments were valid, I doubt these two writers could understand the unprecedented and truly bizarre situation which Bali finds itself in now, being all at once many things, among them: a beloved tourism mecca; a crossroads of global and regional cultures; a development boomtown; a small province in a country beset with serious structural, economic and ideological crises many of which are not especially salient in Bali but affect it nevertheless; and a hotbed of internally generated and internally felt conflicts that are unique to the island. All of this is Bali now.

(And this is just the beginning)

(BTW Talking about rodents, there is a rodent between the responders as well)

Susi's comments are bang on..from sentence to sentence she's on the money and is to be commended for having the guts to say what needs to be said (and I'm guessing will get the usual 'if you don't like it there are planes leaving' sort of response for her trouble).

To me this feels like an island in crisis right now, and sticking one's head in the sand is not helping anyone.

Do these sorts of letters make any difference? I guess not, but at least they're being printed.

milan

Mar 20, 2008
I'm Indonesian and I couldn't agree more with the writer.

SG, sorry to threadjack here, could you please tell me again that Restaurant Penang, is it? you mentioned once which is Jl. Kebon Sirih, Jakarta.
Thanks in advance. I appreciate it.

chilli

Apr 24, 2008
Yes, Bali is definately suffocating. We were surprised at the delay at the airport,
beach is disgusting, alcohol prices out of this world.

However, the entire world is going bezerk in one way or another.
i think its best to hang on and be very patient with everything at the moment.

it could all be much much worse.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
For those of you who do not know who Susi Johnston is, she is a long time Bali resident, quite a (beautiful :) ) lady with a remarkably eclectic background, and, above all, a head on her shoulders. Her original article, Does Bali Needs a System Reboot? can be seen on her website

http://susijohnston.com/

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
chilli said:
Yes, Bali is definately suffocating. We were surprised at the delay at the airport,
beach is disgusting, alcohol prices out of this world.

However, the entire world is going bezerk in one way or another.
i think its best to hang on and be very patient with everything at the moment.

it could all be much much worse.

I think the point Suzi is making is that it is much much worse than that. The place is in real crisis and if something is not done now it stands on the edge of something very much worse than it is now.. You need to read her whole letter, not just the excerpt here.

Milan...It's just called Penang Restaurant, and your address is correct.

macantidur

Dec 4, 2008
Yes, please do read the blog post. I wrote the Jakarta Post response rapid-fire. Then I went back and reviewed it, as one should. And I added more than a dozen telling photo images with pithy captions (as pithy as I could make them).

I think you will appreciate the properly edited piece, and enjoy the photo captions (I was inspired by the Economist . . . for highly abstract articles they print oddball but relevant images with quirky captions).

And do please post comments on the blog. Critical comments absolutely welcome. If my writing or thinking or understanding can be improved in any way, I'm grateful.

x x x

Susi

chilli

Apr 24, 2008
Thanks SG, i hadn't had the time to read the article, but did so last night.
I agree with it.

Susi, great job !

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
chilli said:
Thanks SG, i hadn't had the time to read the article, but did so last night.
I agree with it.

Susi, great job !

I agree Chilli. I've sent it on to quite a few people and the response has been one of overwhelming agreement.

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
The article reflects something anyone whos been around a while already knows, but often doesnt speak about , as usually the response is, "if you dont like it, then stop complaining and get out of Bali". For a lot of us Bali is home, and has been for quite some time. It's not as easy as just "getting out" and whats more, most of all of us that live here love the place but are genuinely disturbed at the direction its headed in (and the lack of motivation those that have the power to change that direction are displaying).

Sticking ones head in the sand on these issues or pretending they dont exist or that it is all "part of the cycle" is like throwing your plastic trash on the side of the road and saying it will break down, decompose and become part of the food chain again.

While its often said that the opinion of tourists and bule's living in Bali doesnt warrant listening to as they are not of Baliese ethnicicty, I find it ridiculous that those that hold this opinion are usually the very same people that would (and are going to) struggle without the revenue generated from this sector.

Nice work Susi.....spot on.

Sumatra

May 4, 2008
Boston
It would seem that everyone on the forum is in agreement with Susi Johnston's assessment of Bali and Indonesia in general.
Given the current world crisis, does anyone have any thoughts on whether it will get better or worse? Do all of you who can afford it have medical evacuation coverage on your insurance policies? It would seem to be a must, when someone can simply purchase a medical degree.
Oh well, just a few thoughts to consider, it's time for me to fire up my snow blower and get rid of the foot of snow in my huge driveway.

Don

bambang

Jan 4, 2009
Susi Johnston's sweeping generalisations and breathless rhetoric about Bali and Indonesia in general seem to be de rigueur amongst the chattering classes especially those expats making their living there in the so called "arts". It's easy for any casual observer to come up with the laundry list of problems facing Indonesia that Susi Johnston does. What isn't so easy is to make a reasoned analysis of the underlying causes of these problems and make any meaningful contribution to solving them. Susi Johnston's garbled and self contradicting diatribe fails miserably on both counts.

The tone of Susi Johnston's attack is set by saying that Indonesia is "beset with serious structural, economic and ideological crises many of which are not especially salient in Bali but affect it nevertheless". She believes that tourism revenue should be used to raise the standard of living of the Balinese to a much higher level and certainly much higher than the rest of Indonesia as though Bali can somehow separate itself from the rest of the country. It can't. Indonesia rightly uses tourism revenue to benefit all Indonesians. In return Bali enjoys a special status, infrastructure investment far beyond any similar sized region and a degree of autonomy in its administration.

Many areas of Bali are desperately poor like most of Indonesia but Susi Johnston believes that Bali is "prosperous" and has an "abundance of luxury" the inference being that corruption is syphoning off all of the tourism profits and leaving very little for Bali. Where exactly is all this prosperity and luxury? Perhaps she is referring to the rapidly multiplying high end hotels, the bland cookie cutter villa complexes she spruiks on her blog, or the largely unpatronised fashion boutiques.

No doubt Susi Johnston is a proponent of "trickle down" economics. Well yes it can be argued that a "rising tide floats all boats" and this is already evident in the higher wages enjoyed by the average Balinese relative to other Indonesians. However the effect is always going to be minimal because the only significant and sustainable increase in wealth will come from organic development within the society itself.

Bali as part of a developing country has always been a budget holiday destination where the mainly Japanese and Australian tourists go to enjoy the tropical weather and maybe even a cultural experience at a budget price. Susi Johnston wants to have it both ways. She believes that Bali has "abandoned its almost automatic claim to quality and gone down-market", that it should be marketing itself "like diamonds", in limited supplying to the wealthy few. That would suit Susi Johnston whose interior decorating business is aimed at the upper end of the market. How will this benefit the majority of Balinese? Are they all going to open five star hotels or restaurants?

The benefits of tourism to the general population are largely illusory. The majority of restaurants and hotels in the tourist areas are struggling to survive. That's because the majority of tourists come for a week, spend their money in the large hotels, sit by the pool, go on a couple of tours and go home. The vast majority of tourism income received by the Balinese is in the form of wages while they sit around waiting for customers in the hundreds of under patronised hotels, restaurants and retail outlets. At least they have that. In Susi Johnston's world they would be required to make the leap from the agrarian life of the village to opening a Ritz-Carlton.

The revenue from tourism is never going to be enough to make the kind of societal and infrastructure changes that Susi Johnston believes should be made. While the bulk of the workforce is seduced by the tourist dollar it isn’t developing more sustainable industries. No, Susi Johnston just wants things to be better. She wants better roads, better health care and better education and she believes that if only the Balinese weren’t so lazy and the government so corrupt they would have them.

Susi Johnston’s characterisation of the Balinese as lazy because they import Javanese workers for manual labour is racist. The Balinese like any large group cannot be characterised with this type of character defect. A more sensible explanation is one of economics. The Balinese enjoy a higher standard of living on average than the Javanese because some 70% of Balinese workers are employed in the tourist industry. The Javanese and other outsiders are more desperate for work and will therefore always undercut whatever rates a Balinese would charge in order to secure labouring jobs.

The simple economic reality in Indonesia explains many of the deficiencies that Susi Johnston sees. For example the expectation that Bali should be emulating Thailand and have a world class medical facility such as Bumrungrad International Hospital in Bangkok is ridiculous. Perhaps she means that Jakarta should have a comparable facility. Perhaps the Indonesian government is more concerned with spreading its health budget over its massive archipelago rather than servicing the few elites and expats that “high-tail it to Singapore and Bangkok”. Either way it is simplistic in the extreme to point at one particular aspect of another country and paint Indonesia as a basket case because it doesn’t measure up on that particular score. Like a mother admonishing a child that her friends’ children are performing better at school Susi Johnston likes to make this sort of comparison.

The comparison with Singapore and Myanmar is a particular howler and gets to what I suspect is at the heart the recent cacophony of criticism – the tax on imported alcohol. Susi Johnston holds up Singapore and Myanmar as examples for Indonesia to follow. We are supposed to be impressed that “we can purchase fine Australian and French wines in the supermarkets of Yangon for the same price, or less, than they cost at home, and for one-tenth of the price they cost in Bali” even though it is an obvious exaggeration. Forget the fact that Singapore is a virtual dictatorship and that Myanmar is a police state that brutally suppresses its citizens with arms traded through Singapore’s ports.

In Susi Johnston’s world, Bali would be reserved as a destination for the so called “moneyed and educated elite”, “people who enjoy quality and expect to find food and beverages of a global standard readily available when they are on holiday” and be better off for it. If only the Balinese would stop being so lazy, corrupt, better educate themselves, build some decent hospitals and stop being so God damned primitive.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
bambang,

Welcome to the forum. I promise to come back late to your post, which makes several good points, but just now, it is late and I am tired. Nevertheless, I would like to point out a flagrant inconsistency in your argument: on one hand, you write

The benefits of tourism to the general population are largely illusory.

and two paragraphs later

The Balinese enjoy a higher standard of living on average than the Javanese because some 70% of Balinese workers are employed in the tourist industry.

So what is it? :)

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Bambang

Welcome to the forum and to cogent argument to get over your point. I will leave others more knowledgeable about Bali than I to put an opposing view (or agreement). What pleases me most is for someone to put such a point of view(right or Wrong) in such an eloquent way which promises much robust discussion for the future.

Stick around.

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
@bambang

An interesting post. Suzi's own post gained some quick currency partially because it was pretty well argued, with depth and some thought. Yours, on other hand seems to be a fairly poorly thought out swipe of a broad brush that is far more contradictory than anything she wrote, as well as factually suspect.

Her piece, now much circulated, also gained currency because there are many, both expat and Indonesian who would agree with very large parts of it (although not all)..myself included.

And for the record many of us are not part of your slighted 'chattering classes especially those expats making their living there in the so called "arts"'. Myself, I have made my living over some years in Indonesia manufacturing and working very closely with Indonesian companies across Indonesia (and exporting millions of dollars of Indonesian goods in the process) Does my opinion count, or am I not one of your anointed few who can live here and comment? You did yourself no favours with that slight and it belittled the rest of your post, which did contain the odd good point amongst the sneers and rather childish tone.

I had to smile at your 'howler'...perhaps the intended irony in the statement about Singapore and Myanmar missed you? And for all that, Singaporeans enjoy a standard of living that many Indonesians would kill for. I suspect many would swap a vote for good healthcare, low child mortality, some of the world's best education and clean air & water.

Many Balinese would argue with your statement:

Indonesia rightly uses tourism revenue to benefit all Indonesians. In return Bali enjoys a special status, infrastructure investment far beyond any similar sized region and a degree of autonomy in its administration.

Bali is the number one earner of forex in Indonesia but this is not reflected in the return to the island. I spend a lot of time in Java and the expenditure on roading and other infrastructure far exceeds that found in Bali. That massive roading project north of Semarang would exceed the cost of anything in Bali in recent years. Or the recent purchase of SU-35 fighter aircraft for the airforce. And once the infrastructure is built, it's maintained..unlike Bali, where roads built, to very shitty standards (like the new-ish East Coast Road) are falling to pieces. In Java, mostly, traffic lights work. I don't think many here would argue that tourism should benefit all Indonesians but if you want to maintain that benefit you at least need to offer infrastructure that equals Java, let alone the major international destinations in SEA that are killing Bali in drawing in tourists.

The airports of Indonesia are shambling run down messes, often dirty and broken, served by airlines that, correctly having spent many hundreds of hours on them, are banned from Europe. Thankfully there are some moves to fix Ngurah Rai this year, but why has it aken so long to do even simple things. I arrived at international yesterday..there were three flights in, all sadly 2/3 empty, and there were two trollies for the flights..both missing a wheel. Paint is peeling off the walls and the arrival sign outside remains broken after a year.

Bali as part of a developing country has always been a budget holiday destination where the mainly Japanese and Australian tourists go to enjoy the tropical weather and maybe even a cultural experience at a budget price.

For decades Bali has provided a destination to all ends of the market. Perhaps you missed those very high end and very long term hotels and villa complexes around Jimabaran, Nusa Dua and Ubud. On a per head basis those people spend an awful more than the low end budget travellers and their proportion of the tourist mix has increased heavily in recent years. You would, it would seem, be happy to lose that very lucrative part of the 'tourism revenue to benefit all Indonesians'. The service charges and taxes on this top end of the market is massive.

The high end hotels are, if released figures are to be believed, all doing rather well. Certainly the jalans of Seminyak are busy and thriving and the restaurants in Laksmana are overflowing some nights. Many of your 'largely unpatronised fashion boutiques' are making pretty good money. Just as in other countries worldwide, those that hit the market work, those that don't, miss out. Go and ask the owners of places like Surfer Girl or Lola how business is......or the multitude of high end spas that are turning folks away.

The majority of restaurants and hotels in the tourist areas are struggling to survive. That's because the majority of tourists come for a week, spend their money in the large hotels, sit by the pool, go on a couple of tours and go home.

Once again, simply untrue. Figures released regularly show that most hotels are doing pretty well, and that the mix has changed quite dramatically in the past few years, since the first bombing and a very big part of the industry is the villa and luxury tourist. One only has to open one's eyes to see that. Friends in the hotel industry who tell me that at just about every level hotels have done extremely well in recent years from both domestic and foreign customers. Sure some struggle and some restaurants are sparse but simply put, if you provide a service that people want you do well. I live in Sanur and many of the cheaper, Nasi Goreng and Nasi Campur places are not busy, but then they never have been. On the other hand, other places, that cater to the market's demands, are roaring..Massimo, Little India, The Village, The Bonsai and more, are all doing well.

I'm not comfortable with Suzi's broad sweep about Balinese work habits but only a fool would argue that corruption is central to the problems faced by Bali, and that many of the problems, the garbage, the traffic issues, road toll and more, could be easily solved by Balinese if there was the will. There is a complacency and lack of drive at the very top to tackle much of this, and despite the best efforts of many further down the chain, these things are getting much worse. In the years I've been coming to the island and then living here, these things have gotten increasingly worse and this is an island on the edge of a crisis. Simply sticking your head in the sand and crying third world economics, doesn't help anyone, and from what I read that seems to be your only response.

This 'cacophony of criticism', as you put it, has nothing, for heavens sake, to do with the tax on alcohol and has been voiced over the years by, if you'd been listening, by many. Suzi is hardly a lone voice and your attack on her, both on her thoughts and, it seems, on her personally, belittles both them and the people of Bali. Suzi's concerns and the way she's expressed them seems, to me at least, to show a level of care for the island she calls home which goes far beyond your patronising 'Balinese need to learn to accept their lot' attitude.

Thorsten

Nov 30, 2002
Germany
Welcome to the forum to Susi and bambang.

Well, I was reading Susi’s statements several times and it was really itching in my fingers to write a response, I was a kind of surprised about this general and unlimited agreement in the responses to her posting, so I welcome bambang’s critical point of view.

It is certainly undeniable that Susi has some valid points, but it’s also obvious that her negative exaggeration doesn’t contribute a lot of constructiveness to the points and beside some dubious assertions without substance, some of her statements I even consider insulting toward Balinese.

The death toll on Bali’s roads is dramatically high without any doubt, Susi even likes to compare it to terrorism, but how about a comparison with Thailand here?
Crime has skyrocketed, but this is not published??? Hello?
Where is this occasional localised cholera outbreaks which killed many during the past year and devastated numerous villages??? Nobody I know ever heard or read about this anywhere and there is also nothing to find about in the net somewhere?
HIV exploding? This is probably true, though nobody has any secured numbers, not in Bali nor anywhere else in Indonesia, official statistics are rubbish and the rest is more or less speculations based on information from NGOs.

Health care facilities are indeed very bad in Indonesia, but praising Thailand is only one side of the medal since it’s only providing good health care standards for those which are able to pay for it, ask all the crippled beggars in the streets of Bangkok how do they benefit from those fancy hospitals.
Sorry, but I’m simply getting tired about some people comparing Singapore with Indonesia, it’s utter nonsense.
Blaming Balinese for laziness due to the seasonal labourers from Java is not worse any further comment, it only shows the cluelessness about the economical reality, for somebody who is living there over 15 years an amazing point of view.

Best regards
Thorsten

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Thorsten writes,

Where is this occasional localised cholera outbreaks which killed many during the past year and devastated numerous villages??? Nobody I know ever heard or read about this anywhere and there is also nothing to find about in the net somewhere?

To put it bluntly, Thorsten, you don't know what you're talking about.

1) There was a serious outbreak of gastrointestinal infections (well, maybe not cholera, although the "jury is still out") last April, in Karangasem Regency, and it was widely reported, in among other publications, in the Bali Post and in the BaliUpdates #604, of April 7, 2008.

==================================================
Gastrointestinal Epidemic Hits Bali's Eastern Province
==================================================

7 Deaths Among Over 600 Infections Traced to Epidemic as it Enters its Third Week.

An epidemic of severe gastrointestinal infections has sent over 600 people to local hospital and clinics, and been blamed for 7 deaths in Bali. The disease - known locally as "Muntaber," is characterized by vomiting, dehydration and acute diarrhea - is now entering its third week with little sign that the number of new cases is abating since its initial appearance on March 19th. The Bali Post reports that the epidemic, transmitted via E coli bacteria, has crowded area hospitals and health centers with patient coming from local villages and now including medical personnel who treated the first wave of patients. Overwhelmed with patients, medical providers in community health centers in Karangasem have been forced to accommodate patients on make-shift beds lining hallways and public areas of the clinics.

Worrying reports from Karangasem's health officials show the footprint of the disease may be widening, with cases now reported across the regency including the communities of Selat, Bedandem, Duda, Sibetan, Abang. Manggis and Rendang.

To curve the further onslaught of the disease military, police and local health officials have been sent to help chemically sterilize local water supplies while local officials are urging local residents to practice good hygiene by taking care in washing hands and boiling all un-bottled drinking water for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, supplies of chemical cleaners sent earlier to treat water supplies have often time remained unused in many villages, with residents complaining that they have no understanding on how to introduce the treatments to their local water supplies.

Denpasar's General Hospital Extends Assistance

Denpasar's Sanglah General Hospital has dispatched a medical team to Karangasem to help local officials to bring the epidemic under control.

Sanglah officials told the Bali Post that the medical response to the current outbreak has been sufficient but has been thwarted by the lack of good hygiene practice among the local population.

Bali's main hospital has sent a team of 60 health professionals comprised of internists, pediatricians, pathologists, paramedics and medical interns to help Karangasem officials handle patients and distribute printed material to educate locals on better hygiene practice.

2) Nothing on the Web? A simple "Googling" shows that there is cholera in Bali. See, for example the scientific publication

Cyrus Simanjuntuk, et al., "Cholera in Indonesia in 1993-1999," Am. J. Trop. Hyg., 65(6) 2001, pages 788 -797.

And I quote from its text

The importance of sporadic cholera occurrence in Bali (10%), second only to Jakarta…

So, maybe the people in your entourage should open their ears and read more… :lol:

Thorsten

Nov 30, 2002
Germany
Daniel,

you still fail to show me where was a CHOLERA OUTBREAK in Bali last year (2007 or 2008 will be accepeted) or even any documented case after 1995?

Another thing, before you quote a scientific publication, you should at least read it and not only the Google quote, then you would know that not even there is any proof for Cholera in Bali at any time (Including the 12 cases of NON O1 Vibrio cholerae reported in 1995 from Bali!!!

The only source for reported Cholera on Bali in Mark Austin's Fugly Bali site, but Susi sounds somehow like his sister, so maybe this could be an explanation?