Article About Bali Dogs

lumumba

Sep 17, 2008
Bandung-Bali-Jakarta
Article from today's Jakarta Post
----------------------------------------------
Badung culls suspect rabid dogs, after four deaths
Andra Wisnu , The Jakarta Post , Uluwatu | Fri, 11/28/2008 10:54 AM | Bali
The Badung regency culled 11 reportedly rabid dogs from the village of Ungasan in Uluwatu district, Bali on Thursday after two adults and two children in the area who were bitten died of undetermined causes.

Officials from the animal husbandry agency and representatives from the Yudisthira Swarga Foundation for wild dog welfare captured the animals, extracted cranial fluids for testing, then administered lethal injections to prevent a possible outbreak. The dogs were then buried.
Ungasan village chief and agency official, Wayan Suarkana, said most of the dogs culled were wild, though some belonged to villagers who were willing to hand over their pets.

He said it would take a few days to determine whether the culled dogs had rabies.
Suarkana said the agency might decide to cull more dogs in the village before waiting for lab results on the dogs' cranial fluids.
"It's hard to tell whether the disease is actually here or whether the dogs we culled today have rabies, but we just can't take the risk," he said.

This is the first case of mass culling of reportedly rabid canines. Bali has been rabies free for several decades, but the number of deaths forced the agency to act quickly, Suarkana said
In September this year dogs bit Made Artana, 32, and Ketut Wirata, 28. Two months later they both died, with officials believing the cause to be rabies. Artana died on Nov. 14 at Kasih Ibu Hospital in Badung; Wirata died on Nov. 23 at Sanglah Hospital in Denpasar.
Suarkana declined to identify the two toddlers, though their deaths were confirmed to have occurred "recently".

"They died of unknown causes, but they may have contracted rabies. They were bitten before they died," Suarkana said.
Sixteen other villagers have also been bitten, though none of them have complained of illness. Village records record 170 families living there.
Balinese tend to let wild dogs roam free and domesticated dogs are rarely kept on a leash.
In a separate interview, Tinneke Indrajaya from the Bali Animal Welfare Association said it would be a major concern if the dogs were infected with rabies because no vaccine for the disease is stored on the island.
"Bali has been free of rabies for decades, we haven't had any need for a vaccine in the island.

"But there's no need for panic, nothing's been confirmed yet," she said.

Rabies is a disease that causes acute inflammation in the brain. The disease can be carried by dogs, monkeys and bats, among other mammals.
A bite from an infected animal is fatal for humans if left untreated. However, immediate immunization is 100 percent effective in preventing the onset of the disease. There has been 31,000 deaths in Asia from rabies according to a 2006 report from the World Health Organization.
I do love dogs very much and in my life I had about 5, all from puppies.

I think the one running around in Bali should be put down, especially the one on the beach of Kuta. When we see one we always detour but most of the times he will follow and get very close to our legs…………who knows what could happen.
They also look very mingy and sick. :oops:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
A simple cranial autopsy on the four suspected victims would have easily proven if they died from rabies.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
The incubation of rabies by an animal, in this case a dog, could be a long as 6 months. During this period, it is not contagious, as it cannot infect another being until the virus has reached the dog's brain, where it multiplies and then travels to the dog's salivary glands. This is why rabies is transmitted through a bite.

However, once the virus has reached the animal's brain, the animal will die within 3 to 5 days. Since a bite victim of a rabid animal must start the series of anti-rabies shots within THREE days of the bite, the series of shots should be started as soon as possible within those 3 days. If not, forget it, you're history. One stops the series of shots (which takes place over a one month period, administered on days 0, 3, 7, 14, and 28), if the suspected animal survives its 10-day quarantine.

So, if the suspected rabid dogs were captured, the protocol called for a quarantine of the animals of 10 days. If after that time, the animals were behaving "normally," it means they were not infected with the rabies virus (one cannot miss the symptoms of an infected animal).

It looks as the Yudisthira Swarga Foundation, in Bali, had a knee-jerk reaction, and its directors need to go back to school. The fact that the suspected dogs were still alive 2 months after having bitten these 2 poor guys, back in September, indicates that the dogs couldn't possibly have been infected with rabies. Elementary, my dear Watson… :)

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Mimpimanis,

Could you be more explicit? How were the dogs tested? 17 dogs infected and nobody saw them behaving like rabid dogs!!! Like I wrote above, a dog will be contagious with the virus in its brain for 3 to 5 days, and then it will die. There must have been many dead dogs in your neighborhood, bukan? Allow me to be skeptical.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
...17 dogs have been tested positive so far...
That's a frightening result, if, in fact, it's true. I hope not.

A lot of the time, Indonesian officials and media have a tendency to get things wildly wrong. I hope this is not one of them.

I find it difficult to believe statements that "Bali has been free of rabies for decades". Given the languorous approach by authorities in all kinds of areas, it's hard to swallow. Some sceptics have suggested that rabies is still here and the reason we don't hear about it is because it might harm tourist numbers. I don't know about that, but it wouldn't surprise me.

These current reports seem to be serious. They've been splashed around in media like The Jakarta Post. The Uluwatu region is about as far south in Bali as you can go. If there are positively tested rabid dogs down there, what about the other more populated areas of Bali? How can/could they be unaffected?

If nothing else, hopefully, news like this will bring into focus the issue of having an uncontrolled, unmonitored, uncared-for, and increasingly large population of dogs on Bali.

You don't have to bitten by an animal carrying the rabies virus to contract it. The virus is transmitted through saliva. A casual lick can do the job if you have any broken skin. An infected animal may not show any obvious symptoms but can give you the lick of an excruciatingly painful death. Unless you can get competent medical help super fast.

I read a couple of days ago that Bali doesn't have stocks of rabies vaccine because "Bali doesn't have rabies". Well, we'll see soon...

:(

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Come on, you guys (and gals), this is not a question of Black or White Magic, this is a scientific question, which has been studied scientifically for more than two centuries.

Back this past April, I personally experienced a (partial) rabies treatment, which, by the way, is not the old type that Louis Pasteur had developed. It's now almost painless. And I wrote "patial" because it was cut short after 10 days only (it usually lasts one month), when the doctor asked me how the animal (a feral cat, in this instance) was behaving. Since I reported that the cat was behaving "normally," i.e. not showing signs of being infected, the doctor stopped the shots. Believe me, I had a long discussion with this Emergencies Room doctor and did very fast lot of reading on the subject.

The animal's symptoms usually develop between 20 and 60 days after its exposure, but can take as long as 5 - 6 months. Why so long? It depends where the virus was introduced in the animal. The virus, once injected, moves very slowly along the animal's nervous system to its brain. Therefore, if the rabid bite occurred on the animal's tail, it can take that long to reach its brain. During this incubation period, the animal is not contagious.

How does a rabid animal behave? It can become aggressive and vicious (who wouldn't be?), and very sensitive to being touched and other kinds of stimulation. . This is the kind most usually associated with mad dogs. In other cases, the animal becomes lethargic and weak, and it cannot raise its head or make sounds because its throat and neck muscles are paralyzed. In both kinds of animal rabies, death occurs, usually from respiratory failure, within 3 – 5 days after the first symptoms appear.

It is only during this short period that the animal can pass the virus, which it has "cultivated" in its salivary glands, through a bite. Of course, if it were to lick someone at a place where that "someone" had an opened wound, it would pass on the virus. But I doubt very much that a rabid animal is in a "licking mood."

In the USA, one of the most likely animals to pass the rabies virus is the bat. As a matter of fact, during the last 11 years, the total human rabies deaths have averaged 2.9/ year, and 24 (75%) of 32 deaths were due to bat rabis variant, and their victims had been unaware of having being beaten. In Asia, Central and South America, dogs are the principal cause of rabid deaths.

Rabies in Bali would developed as rabies develops in animals all over the world, so I doubt very much that what has been reported by the Indonesian "authorities is indeed "rabies." There is only one way to test an animal for rabies, and it's post-mortem, collecting some of its brain tissues for analysis.

PS. Please, do not mistake "rabies" for "rabbis," as the Emergencies Room secretary wrote on the hospital form as a cause for my coming to the Emergencies (I did not have the guts to correct her). :lol: :lol:

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Tintin wrote
There is only one way to test an animal for rabies, and it's post-mortem, collecting some of its brain tissues for analysis.

However the Jakarta Post says
As of Friday, 17 wild and domesticated dogs had been tested positively for the disease and been put down using lethal injection. In the test, a small amount of the animal's brain fluid is extracted under anesthetic.

Sorry, I quoted the link to the full article rather than linking it before. Here it is again.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2008/11/29/76-vaccinated-rabies-after-dog-bites.html

I have to say on the school run today there are a lot less dogs on the street than usual.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
There is some confusion as to whether this order applies to all stray dogs in Bali, or just those in the Bandung Regency.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
There is still confusion as to whether Governor Pastika has indeed ordered the killing of ALL stray Bali street dogs in ALL of Bali, or just in the Badung Regency. For example, the Jawa Post reports one thing, whereas radio news another.

BAWA, the Bali Animal Welfare Association is having meetings right now, but who knows just how much they can do to restore some order and prevent an unnecessary wholesale slaughter. One thing is for certain, they will do all they can to prevent a needless and wholesale slaughter of these animals.

In our neck of the woods, virtually nothing is going on…things are the same for both dog and man…for now anyway. That is because the understanding here is that this order does not currently apply to Gianyar Regency.

Obviously, anyone in Bali right now with pet dogs would be wise to keep them in doors and off the streets. Personally, I wouldn’t even walk a dog on a leash right now, especially after reading this quote…

“in capturing street dogs, the public must help the teams working in the field. Pastika said: "The people can directly take steps to kill street dogs. If this is only done by government team, clearly we'll be late in handling the problem.”

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Mimpimanis,

I hope you didn't mistake the Jakarta Post for The Lancet or the New England
Journal of Medicine
. The truth of the matter is that neither Luh De Suryani, the author of the JP article, or the Badung Health Agency head, G. A. Mayun Dharma Atmaja, know what they are talking about. There are so many erroneous information and inconsistencies in this article, it is totally ridiculous. Here are some examples:

1) First and foremost, and as stated prviously, if any of these Ungasan village's 76 residents had been bitten by rabid dogs more than 3 days before the rabies vaccine was injected in them, I am sorry, but they all are history, as these injections would be totally useless.

2)
As of Friday, 17 wild and domesticated dogs had been tested positively for the disease and been put down using lethal injection. In the test, a small amount of the animal's brain fluid is extracted under anesthetic.

There is no such a thing as brain fluid in healthy mammals (although I know many people who seem to have fluid instead of grey matter in their brains). Unfortunately, the only way to diagnose rabies is to examine brain tissue, and this can only be done after the animal is dead. This means that testing your dog for rabies is not a test he can survive.

3) Even, if this test was possible with the animal's "brain fluid," it would require a very elaborate procedure, requiring anesthesia and a neurosurgeon to perform needle aspiration biopsy, so that the dog's life is preserved should it be found, from the lab analysis, not contaminated . All of this would be very time consuming and expensive, and I doubt very much that, given the attitude of the Balinese toward animals in general and dogs in particular, it would happen.

3) In the JP article, under the photo caption, it clearly states that

A doctor from the Yudisthira Swarga Foundation for Wild Dogs Welfare administers a lethal injection to a dog suspected of carrying the rabies virus at the village of Ungasan in the Uluwatu District, on Thursday.

This statement, which am sure is closer to the reality, directly contradicts the animal's brain fluid b.s.

4) And finally, the Idiocy Prize goes to Gede Ashrama, deputy head of the Badung Fisheries and Animal Husbandry Agency, who said, when asked why the agencies had not conducted a mass vaccination on the village's 170 families, that "such a move would only be prompted if the test subjects (the dogs) were found positive for the disease."

Doesn't Asharma know that there is NO such a thing as a rabies preventive immunization vaccine? It just does NOT exist, you dumb ass. :evil: :evil:

Don't you feel safer knowing you are protected with the likes of Mayun and Asharma? :lol: :lol:

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Hi Tintin

Well I guess I shouldnt believe all I read. And if this is the case its a shame that many healthy dogs have bene or will be culled.

But re the Rabies vaccine, I thought there was one. I know to get an animal passport to allow your pet to travel in and out of UK they have to be vaccinated. And isnt there a vaccine for people too, suggested for people who will be working with animals in effected areas?

Infact I recently asked my vet about the vaccine for my dog, to allow for easier travel between Bali & Lombok and rather than say there wasnt one she told me I would have to get it from Java as there is non availble in Bali.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Mimpimanis,

Don't worry, you're not loosing it: there is a rabies vaccine for animals, dog, cats, etc., but it is not for humans. It is very safe and effective. It's usually good for three years, but many juridictions require your pet to be vaccinated every year. It would seem that the 3-year and 1-year vaccines are somewhat slightly different.

For humans in a high-risk occupational groups, such as veterinarians or animal handlers, they will be vaccinated pre-exposure with 3 shots. If/when they are bitten by a rabid animals, they will STILL have to get the 2 other shots of the 5-doses series for humans.

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
“in capturing street dogs, the public must help the teams working in the field. Pastika said: "The people can directly take steps to kill street dogs. If this is only done by government team, clearly we'll be late in handling the problem.”

If Pastika said this he should be culled himself, at least politically. What sort of man gives groups of 'people' the authority to go around randomly killing animals, especially given the way Bali treats animals.

I've far more faith in Daniel's analysis of the situation than the authorities here on balance.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Oddly, I can't find a single news item on this today. Nothing in the Jakarta Post, nothing in The Bali Post, nothing on the radio...so far anyway.

toucan

Feb 24, 2008
I received an sms last night saying that at least 3 dogs had been killed on Kuta Beach, none of them showed any signs of rabies - these dogs were well known to those who spend time at the beach each day, who is responsible is not known. I would definitely recommend keeping pets at home for the time being. I recall the last bout of culling around the tourist spots resulted in several people's pets being poisoned and dying very quickly.

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
Roy said:
Oddly, I can't find a single news item on this today. Nothing in the Jakarta Post, nothing in The Bali Post, nothing on the radio...so far anyway.

Maybe this is why

Local newspapers have previously reported that three people living in Southern Kuta died after bitten by dogs. However local officials in Badung as well as in Sanglah General Hospital denied relationship between their deaths and rabies. Whilst the symptom was admitted as close to rabies, brain infections have been concluded.The delay in rabies has once complainef by a member of Badung House of Representatives Diesel Astawan. The information has somehow reached the central government which immediately instructed authorities in Bali to conduct a check, which resulted in negative conclusion, no evidence of rabies found.

The joint force including Veterinary Office of Bali, Veterinary Office of Badung, and Yudhistira Foundation had field assessment in Ungasan area under the command of Bali Veterinary Office I.B. Raka. At Banjar Sari Karya of Ungasan village the team identified six cases of human bitten by the dogs, with the last case happened back in November 13th 2008. The joint team which previously planned to take the dog for observation in their office has cancelled the plan and have the owner a cage for on-spot observation.

Dog attack has also been happened at Banjar Bakung Sari of Balangan village, but no death resulted. Suspicion arose when the dog died a few days afterward. Meanwhile a resident of Banjar Giri Dharma of Ungasan village died on Sunday (November 24th) after one night hospitalization in Sanglah General Hospital. Suspic
Sementara itu, seorang warga Banjar Giri Dharma Ungasan, Kuta Selatan meninggal, Minggu (BP, 24/11) sekitar pukul 15.00 wita setelah sempat mendapatkan perawatan selama semalam di RS Sanglah. He was suspected for rabies as he had been bitten by dog one month before being hospitalized. Five days before another residents has has also been bitten by dog and died afterward.

With regard to their deaths officials of the hospital refused rabies infection. Head of Emergency Unit of Sanglah General Hospital, dr. Kuning Atmadjaya, Sp.B. said that they are suspected for rabies at first considering their background. “However blood tests have proven that there were no rabies infection,” said Kuning

Perhaps they should've asked Daniel!