davita

Mar 13, 2012
Cannot help but notice...
Across from my house is the construction of a single villa which, six months ago, was a paddy field. I'm told all the workers are Balinese so we have yet not been involved with them, other than wave and smile.

Another development, next to my house, uses imported labor from Java. We are friendly and provided Javanese (halal) food as my driver's Javanese wife is a good cook.

From my upstairs window I see the toil and manual labor and the skinny physique of all those workers.

Tonight, I'm watching the inaugeration of the 560 legislators to the Indonesian Parliament...not one is skinny...conversely...most are grossly fat!

I ask myself...do Indonesians have issues between those that DO and those that TALK...or is diet and diabetes a long-term problem for the affluent.

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
After a number of years living here I'm always shocked when I go back to the west at the sheer size of many of the young people that are hulking around in Europe and the US. The only way to get kids to move is to take their mobile phones away and run off with them. They will chase for a bit and then cry...

Astonishing too to remember the dire warnings of the 70s of massive famine and world ice ages coming by the turn of the century.

Makes you stop and think what BS they are predicting now.

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
When I grew up in the USA with 4 seasons , we played outside .Yes in the streets( but always stopped for traffic)or bike riding .now a days most kids are on cellphone texting and sawing they are bored . who's fault is that ? the kids or the parents ?

here in Bali and even Lombok the kids ride bikes( some are rusted or even to big for them) fly kites,play tag, etc all outside .Western world( or atleast NY has lost all that

kayoticlaudia

Mar 10, 2011
Indonesia & Germany
After a number of years living here I'm always shocked when I go back to the west at the sheer size of many of the young people that are hulking around in Europe and the US. The only way to get kids to move is to take their mobile phones away and run off with them. They will chase for a bit and then cry...

Tried the running off with the mobile - did not work on my daughter but then she is not so addicted to it thankfully.......

Astonishing too to remember the dire warnings of the 70s of massive famine and world ice ages coming by the turn of the century.

Makes you stop and think what BS they are predicting now.

Famine - they meant the intelligence and common sense as being lacking. This started with the internet and est. social media.
Ice ages - this refers to the social media phenomena!

phil170258

Feb 13, 2011
Diabetes is already an enormous problem in Indonesia and likely to get worse as it becomes more affluent - when the basis of your diet is white rice (which has almost no nutritional value) and absurd amounts of sugar then you're already in trouble.