Hey guys,

I'm interested in doing some homebrewing once I move to Bali - let me know if I can join the fun. I have been brewing for over 10 years and sadly unloaded (or loaned) all my gear to my friends...

Peace!

Alcohol Poduction Permit

1. All alcohol production, including arak, requires license in Indonesia.
2. Since a government decree of the early 90's, the government has not issued new licenses and alcohol production has been declared as a sector closed for investment in the investment law.
3. The investors of Hatten Wine have tied up with a local company which already had the license from before the 90's.

I'm exploring the feasibility of starting a small brewing operation in Java. I understand that I will have to purchase an existing licence. Would anyone know how I would go about that?

Alcohol Poduction Permit

Gilbert,

I'm looking at the feasibility of setting up a small speciality brewing operation for the local market. Storm Brewing seem to be operating well in Bali so it is somehow possible.
Do you know where I could more information on obtaining an Alcohol Production Permit? It appears that the only way for a foreigner to obtain one would be by buying an existing licence and having it in an Indonesian's name. Is that correct? Are you sure that a foreigner cannot hold the permit in his own name? Any information and advice would be gratefully accepted.

Hi renzo,

I would like to add to Vandor's reply ..if he doesnt mind :) ,
Hes right that all production of alcoholic beverages have to be licensed, and if he means with
"a sector closed for investment in the investment law" that foreigners cannot have a license in their name..he again is right.
However about getting a license for production of alcoholic beverages..thats not entirely right..according to my humble opinion :) .
I know someone who had applied for a license..and got it.After "paying" the necessary administration fee..(bribes)hahaha.I believe, but not entirley sure this was in 1998.
Ok thats all for now.
greeetings and goodluck with ur study renzo.
Gilbert.

Gilbert,

I'm looking at the feasibility of setting up a small speciality brewing operation for the local market. Storm Brewing seem to be operating well in Bali so it is somehow possible.
Do you know where I could more information on obtaining an Alcohol Production Permit? It appears that the only way for a foreigner to obtain one would be by buying an existing licence and having it in an Indonesian's name. Is that correct? Are you sure that a foreigner cannot hold the permit in his own name? Any information and advice would be gratefully accepted.

Good luck, bring plenty of cash and watch your profits being taxed away. I dont want to be perceived as being negative, be aware that although places like hypermart may attempt to sell jim beam, other whiskey for 600K it can be purchased locally that has been 'confiscated' for around 20 dollars.
I would strongly advise you of cheking/doing the figures, tooling, rental, licensing and limitation of selling to other parts of indonesia (add kota tax to it in some areas i.e cant even get any in manokwari, all of aceh, parts of java, sulawesi etc, ambon charges kota tax etc). This infers your sales will be limited to bali and maybe a sprinkling (if ure lucky) to jakarta. Anyway just advice:icon_mrgreen:

It's not going to be easy or cheap to get a licence. Sorry but you are probably better to think of another business or another country.

Gilbert,

Very expensive, you will have a limit on production making it almost impossible to make a profit. I suggest you talk to Steve at storm [ he is the founder brewer]. A foreigner can not hold a permit. A lot will depend on what product you want to produce as beer [like storm produces] require a lot of the ingredients to be imported, [again big problem].
My advise if you are really keen to proceed is to join with an existing brewer/producer.

Very expensive, you will have a limit on production making it almost impossible to make a profit. I suggest you talk to Steve at storm [ he is the founder brewer]. A foreigner can not hold a permit. A lot will depend on what product you want to produce as beer [like storm produces] require a lot of the ingredients to be imported, [again big problem].
My advise if you are really keen to proceed is to join with an existing brewer/producer.

Thanks. I had a feeling that it would be complicated. I will get in touch with Steve at Storm Beer as you suggested. I may have a few more questions for you in the future. The advice is much appreciated.

Back