A romantic translation ...

Gerry

Dec 15, 2004
Dorset, UK
Good evening all ( well it is evening here in the UK ) A long time since my last posting on the forum where I unveiled my plans to marry my fiencee from Bali.

We are getting married here in the UK on May 26th, and I am making the wedding cake, a traditional UK cake - rich fruit and 3 tiers and so on, I used to be a pastry chef so its quite nice having free reign on our wedding cake !

Vera - as my lovely lady is known, knows what I am basically designing for the wedding cake, it has to involve Clownfish and reefs and anenomes (she is in the conservation and education business for sea life around Indonesia)

However - I am also going to put some wording around the base of the cake as a surprise for her which she will not see until the wedding day, and as it is a surprise I cannot ask Vera for a translation !

I am hoping someone can help me out here, my previous attempt at using online translation tools has apparently been of some hilarity to Vera as they tend to translate english far too literally to the way it was intended.

What I would like to say aound the base of our wedding cake is this -

TWO HEARTS TOGETHER WE JOIN TODAY, TOGETHER FOR EVER COME WHAT MAY.

I realise there probably will not be a direct translation for this - and I am happy for alternative suggestions which fit into the same thing I am saying in English.

Shall be there in 3 weeks time delivering all of the visa paperwork to Vera, I cant wait !

Gerry

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Hi Gerry,

Let me be the first one to take a stab at the translation. I am sure someone on this forum will be able to do a better job with an Indonesian equivalent.

Dua hati yang dibekerja sama hari ini, bersama-sama untuk selama-lamanya apapun akan terjadi.

Congratulations. :)

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
I like the second translation better but the thing I did not like about the first was only the word "dibekerja" not sure it is grammatically correct but its sounds more like work. Perhaps bersama-sama would be better.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Hi Jimbo,

"bekerja sama" means "to join together."

"yang dibekerja sama" is just the passive form, which translates as "which are (were) joined together."

As you know, "bersama-sama" just means "together," not "joined together."

Bulbul's translation is quite acceptable (Two hearts united, no matter what happens, always together forever and ever).

My first trial translation is

"Two hearts (which have been) joined together today, together for eternity come what may"

Another version, less "bahasa pasar," could be:

Dua hati berpadu hari ini, bersama-sama untuk selama-lamanya bagaimanapun juga.

What does your wife say?

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Tintin

I am sure you are right. I would have translated that it meant cooperation rather than joined together but my Indonesian is a bit limited these days as I speak Bahasa Campur with Maria and the children.

Strangest language you have ever heard. Bit like Spanglish :)

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Jimbo,

You are certainly correct that the first meaning of "bekerja sama" is "to collaborate," but this was the first word(s) that came to my mind: "joined together," in the sense of "collaborate," maybe not the best choice of words.

I will add further that, although I am quite familiar with bahasa Indonesia, nobody in his/her right mind would consider me an expert (unless you are Balinese, of course: then, you would say "bahasa Indonesia Bapak bagus sekali!" :) )

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK
Re: RE: A romantic translation ...

tintin said:
Another version, less "bahasa pasar," could be:

Bapak Tintin, your bahasa Indonesia is definitely BAGUS sekali! I'm impressed! Your version above is the most appropriate in this case.

Also well done to you Bulbul.

Gerry

Dec 15, 2004
Dorset, UK
Many Thanks for the replies, sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to you all .

So many choices - and of course I trust you all in that the translation is not something entirely different :)

So shall I go for Dua hati berpadu hari ini, bersama-sama untuk selama bagaimanapun juga. ?

Incidentally, here is the design for the cover of our invitations :)

Vera being involved with the sea and coral conservation we thought it was quite nice ...

73647518.jpg

Many Thanks

Gerry

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Gerry,

Please note the correction. It is

Dua hati berpadu hari ini, bersama-sama untuk selamanya bagaimanapun juga. :)

The cover of your invitation is beautiful, romantic (did you draw it yourself also?), and certainly a propos.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Hi Gerry

I wish you all the very best with your cake for Vera.
I've read the well-meant suggestions at translations of the words you want and they're all, more or less, OK.

However, I think that some of the suggestions are too big to fit onto a cake. The gist of your words is something like this (and should fit onto a cake without any problems):

"...Dua hati menyatu selamannya..."

I believe, on good authority, that the above words are meaningful, sensitive and poetic-enough.

Best wishes to you both.
:D

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
I would not be so presumptuous as to tell a pastry chef what can be put and what cannot be put at the bottom of his cake.

Sanurian contribution is also correct, but it is not what Gerry had requested. So for his benefit,

menyatu = from the root "satu," means "become one," or "are one."
selamanya (one "n," please) = forever

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
With all due respect, tintin...

...I would not be so presumptuous as to tell a pastry chef what can be put and what cannot be put at the bottom of his cake...

Me either. Unless Gerry's planning to make a very big cake, there's no way he'll fit the proposed translations onto one without a microscope.

Please recall that apart from asking for a translation of:

...TWO HEARTS TOGETHER WE JOIN TODAY, TOGETHER FOR EVER COME WHAT MAY...

He also wants to put it "around the base of his wedding cake".

I have no idea how big his intended cake is supposed to be.

:roll:

Dyah

Dec 29, 2005
Hamburg, Germany
www.ikat-agentur.com
What may= apapun yang terjadi (maybe i´ts not very romantic in indonesian language)
but:
Two hearts together we join today, together for ever (its very romantic) ...
-You can use the word today = hari ini, di hari ini.. or simply without it.
-bersatu, menyatu or berpadu or bersatu padu it´s okay for the translation...
-bersatu=menjadi satu=menyatu
-abadi (poetic)=for ever

Maybe for the cake you need just short translation
1. Hari ini menyatu dua hati untuk selamanya
2. Dua hati bersatu di hari ini untuk selamanya
3. Dua hati bersatu padu abadi
4. Dua hati berpadu untuk selamanya

Congratulation for you and Vera!
Dyah

Gerry

Dec 15, 2004
Dorset, UK
Re: RE: A romantic translation ...

tintin said:
Gerry,

Please note the correction. It is

Dua hati berpadu hari ini, bersama-sama untuk selamanya bagaimanapun juga. :)

The cover of your invitation is beautiful, romantic (did you draw it yourself also?), and certainly a propos.

Hi Tintin, sorry to say I trawled the internet for the picture, it would be nice to be able to draw like this though !

I found the picture after searching through this site where there are some wonderful ones - and also some not so wonderful ones

http://www.artsig.com/go/works/

As for the length of the phrase I wish to put onto the cake - the bottom tier of my cake is 14 inches in diameter, this will be around 15 inches after the addition of marzipan and icing. The wording will go flat on the cake board that the cake will be sitting on, as this will also be iced to hide the board. This will give me around 45 inches to do the wording :D

The sides of the cake will have faint mermaid images around the sides, and Clownfish in Anenomes modelled as centerpieces on the top of the bottom 2 tiers. Undecided yet what to have on the top tier :)

Gerry