Solar panel costs

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
There's no mention of battery storage so assume there isn't any. Without battery storage, doesn't this mean you'd only be able to use the generated electricity during the day? Not so great if most of your usage is at night.

I suppose it'd work well if PLN bought(or credited) your excess electricity during the day. Not sure if they do that here yet.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
It's getting slowly, very slowly down to a price that might be interesting but as Denpasar House mentions without the PowerWall from Musk the whole system simply isn't...

O

May 21, 2007
indonesia
DenpasarHouse outlined the main issue of a solar installation in Indonesia i.e power storage . I will switch to solar the day PLN sets up a system to feed back electricity produced by solar panels back into the main grid as it is done in a number of countries. That would eliminate the need for costly PowerWall or a battery park that requires maintenance and regular replacement. And of course it would also maximize the power production and would give you "credits" when not using the power. Which is the case in so many partially occupied villas. If someone knows about such plans by PLN please share!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I think the purpose of solar energy for me is to go completely off grid. I, for one, would not trust PLN to do anything as complicated as you envision there friend and would simply be happy if I could cut the wires to their network completely.

Reactions: ALGO and tel522

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
I think the purpose of solar energy for me is to go completely off grid. I, for one, would not trust PLN to do anything as complicated as you envision there friend and would simply be happy if I could cut the wires to their network completely.
here here !

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
Just a FYI.

If you've already got a PLN connection to your house, and it's on one of the new Pulsa meters, there's no reason you'd actually need to cut the wires to go off-grid. This is because you don't get charged an access fee, you only get charged for the electricity you use.

That makes it a pretty handy, no-cost backup in case your home solar system goes offline, or you need to run high wattage power tools. Saves you having to have a backup petrol generator.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Correct but matey above (O) was concerned about getting paid money back from PLN for the excess power he gave back into the system.

PLN I don't want shit back. I just want to be able to cut the wires that lead to/from you...

O

May 21, 2007
indonesia
Off the grid solar is of course a nice concept...if you are truly leaving on one of the thousand of islands in Indonesia where there is no grid, no PLN, Circle K, no Bintang, no internet, and no expats to complain about the fact that there is no PLN, no circle K......;). Anyway, solar systems' purpose isn't just to live off the grid relying of love and spring water. It could help lower the number of coal stations being build in this country -more money is now invested in the world on solar than coal, Huge improvement! . It could help you not have a battery bank that you will need to maintain and replace. Basically whether it's for environmental purposes or one's own individual need, solar makes sense..especially in Indonesia where there is no lack of that free energy. But with no feed in the grid system, fewer people will join because installation and maintenance cost will bw way higher.

Sep 19, 2021
Off the grid solar is of course a nice concept...if you are truly leaving on one of the thousand of islands in Indonesia where there is no grid, no PLN, Circle K, no Bintang, no internet, and no expats to complain about the fact that there is no PLN, no circle K......;). Anyway, solar systems' purpose isn't just to live off the grid relying of love and spring water. It could help lower the number of coal stations being build in this country -more money is now invested in the world on solar than coal, Huge improvement! 300w solar panel. It could help you not have a battery bank that you will need to maintain and replace. Basically whether it's for environmental purposes or one's own individual need, solar makes sense..especially in Indonesia where there is no lack of that free energy. But with no feed in the grid system, fewer people will join because installation and maintenance cost will bw way higher.
The cost of a professionally installed PV system varies by location and by the amount of PV installed. With these numbers you might be able to better negotiate a price for your roof. Pricing is always changing over time and these tables were from 2018, so your mileage may vary.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
I'm looking around now for solar + battery, when I get some prices I will let you know what I find. If you want to deal with PLN you need to send a letter stating what you want to do, Panels and they will supply a meter and timer only. The timer will turn the power off (PLN) at a set time morning and turn back on at night.

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Same for wind turbine blades. They seem to be non-recycable.

And I doubt the whole structure will last 25 years ?

Reactions: YachtRock

YachtRock

Nov 2, 2022
Tabanan, Bali
Same for wind turbine blades. They seem to be non-recycable.

And I doubt the whole structure will last 25 years ?
I was recently in your home country of France and noticed the mountain ridges littered with these wind turbines. Very ugly and was wondering what they will do with all of them when they rust up and need to be replaced someday?

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
I was recently in your home country of France and noticed the mountain ridges littered with these wind turbines. Very ugly and was wondering what they will do with all of them when they rust up and need to be replaced someday?
It is madness.
As with Covid or the Ukraine war, government is making decisions in a rush without thinking about the mid / long term consequences.
All this is the name of " we can not do nothing, we have to show that we care and take action".
even if the decisions are ridiculous, made by politicians, tree huggers, and people driven by their mental orientation instead of technology and logic...

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I've never understood the seemingly deep antipathy people have to wind turbines.

Since the first time I saw them in the Altamont hills in California wwwwaaaayyy back I've found them strangely beautiful, almost a sign of the millennium, how they slowly, gracefully turn in the slightest breeze!

Love em, me. Sight prettier than your usual power station or transmission tower ranging across the countryside.

P.S. they are starting to use carbon fiber to build them now that the costs are dropping for that material so that means quiet easily re-usable and shouldn't end up in land fill.

YachtRock

Nov 2, 2022
Tabanan, Bali
I've never understood the seemingly deep antipathy people have to wind turbines.

Since the first time I saw them in the Altamont hills in California wwwwaaaayyy back I've found them strangely beautiful, almost a sign of the millennium, how they slowly, gracefully turn in the slightest breeze!

Love em, me. Sight prettier than your usual power station or transmission tower ranging across the countryside.

P.S. they are starting to use carbon fiber to build them now that the costs are dropping for that material so that means quiet easily re-usable and shouldn't end up in land fill.
That's good news about the carbon fiber! Hope that trend continues

Reactions: tel522 and Markit

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Ugly, noisy, killing birds and a disgrace to the beauty of nature.

Except in Scotland or North of England (where the wind is 24/7/365 ) they are efficient at best 50% of the times. No wind or not enough, no output, too much wind you need to feather the blades or they will detruct the structure by vibrations).

The French RTE the distribution arm of EDF (national elec producer) has all the info day by day, life, hour by hour on their website.
Yesterday 29/06 :

Last edited: