You're Invited

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
After two and one half years building this place, it’s finally finished. Our gallery is opening, once and for all on July 12.

Three exhibitions will be presented at the same time, running to at least September 3.

One exhibit will be of archaeological shipwreck ceramics from China, Thailand, and Vietnam dating from the T’ang dynasty, (9th century AD) to the early 19th century. This exhibit is being held in association with the Department of Archaeology.

A second exhibit will be of maps and prints of Bali, Java, and other parts of Indonesia dating from 1540 AD to the early 19th century. Without beating my chest, I must say this exhibit is most extraordinary, and nothing like it has ever been exhibited in Bali before. Many years of careful and discerning collecting is offered in this exhibit.

Our third exhibit is also a first time event. We are showing 19 paintings and drawings by the first expat artist in Bali, who, oddly enough, was an American. Maurice Sterne, NA lived in Bali from 1912 to 1914. Sterne was a major artist, the first to have a one man show at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City. Just do a “google” or “yahoo” search.

Anyway, if you are in Bali during this time, it would be great to meet you! The gallery name is MOOD STUDIO and it’s located on Jalan Lungsiakan, the road into Ubud from Jalan Kedewatan.

Thorsten

Nov 30, 2002
Germany
Congrats Roy,

unfortunately I will not be there, but I send you my best wishes for you and Eri and I'm looking forward to see some pics from the opening!

best regards
Thorsten

PS: In my translation regarding the drawing is a mistake, its was not one cannon fired, the orgiginal text is:

5 big pieces of cannons ...

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Congratulations Roy. The exhibitions sound interesting.

I'll be in Ubud mid September, so will drop in for a look around.

javajive

May 30, 2005
Jakarta
RE: You

Roy - We'll be in Bali tomorrow morning. We'll be staying in Ubud for about 3 weeks, and will definitely drop by. Your exhibit sounds absolutely fascinating! Looking forward to meeting you.

Brandon

Mar 6, 2005
Paris France

Congratulations Roy

We sadly had to leave Ubud and Bali on the very same day you sent your post. Patsy and I would have loved to see this exhibition and meet with you. Hope we will have another occasion to meet on a next trip. I hope you will have others interesting exhibitions then.

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com

Congratulations Roy,

Sorry I didn't get to make it to Ubud last week. After being here for two years there were just too many things to do in too little time. Hopefully we'll get to meet in December.

Good luck with the gallery.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Many thanks for all the encouragement and well wishes! The opening was a grand success, and as I’ve set this up as a family business, I am very relieved to say the least. Most of my family is wandering around mumbling the words from that great baseball film, “if you build it they will come” and came indeed they did. Some photos just before the opening are below on the link. If it comes up thumbnail size, just click on it and you can enlarge it, (I hope).

I must say, it has been a most interesting experience working with my Balinese family on a joint business project. For certain, it has brought us all that much closer together. Business aside, that’s got to be number 1.

Again, many thanks to you all for your kind words, and we all hope one day to meet you at the gallery, or better yet, at Nuris for martinis!

http://www.sundream.com/~majapahit/images/Opening1.jpg

godinho

May 31, 2005
Portugal

In the baseball movie they lined up for miles… perhaps this is not the case, but who knows you will have visitors from distant lands… hehehe. We will probably drop by in August.
Very nice pics, congrats!

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Hey Princess! Many thanks for your kind words. Today is Bima's sixth birthday, and we're having a big party! 35 kids! Yikes! Who said life in Bali is relaxed and laid back? :shock: Funny thing is, I'm wearing one of your Helen Flavel Foundation tee shirts today, and under the part that says, "we care, we share" I've written, "yea, but I'm outta here!"

Many thanks godinho and Jean Pascal. Yup, martinis at Nuris anytime...and all you can drink if you could rescue me right now! :D

Jim Thorpe

Nov 7, 2002
USA
Congrats on getting it up and going! Funny that you would quote "Field of Dreams" as I was just there on Thursday.... "Is this heaven?" "No, it's Iowa." I love that quote.

Good luck with the business.

JT

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Congrats on getting it up

Geeeez Jim! I have a reputation to uphold around here!

Seriously, many thanks amigo. I'm still dreaming of introducing Little League baseball in Bali. These kids would be great at this sport...they are pure natural baseball players.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
OK, OK...so what great games did the Dutch introduce to the Balinese? Eh, eh, Bert? 300 years a Dutch colony, and the game is.......?

PS...a business card is too large to write the answer! :shock:

Seriously, think about it. They are perfect for this game. They are used to hours of standing around doing nothing, and in a nano second, moving like the wind…essential for a good out fielder. Their reflexes are phenomenal...thus they are very good at badminton, and their hand/eye coordination is almost unbelievable!

In my mind’s eye, I can see a Balinese left fielder shimmying up the left corner foul post at Yankee Stadium like it was a coconut tree, to catch what would normally be a home run! Awesome play!

My only question is, what do we name the first professional Balinese Baseball Team?