You are on paradise island .... now what?

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK
After reading quite a lot of posts from people like my husband & I who are planning to move to Bali in the near future and from people who are already there, etc. I would be interested to know what people's expectations are living on Bali and what they plan to do when they have made the big move?

To live there full time? 6mths at a time? Working or not working? Starting own business? etc etc

My husband & I are working towards our goal to make the big move in a couple of years time. We're working hard to grow our company bigger as fast as possible, sell it at the right time, then semi-retire on Bali.

I say "semi-retire" because we're too used to working, so after a while not doing very much we will be BORED!!! We'll have to find something to do, so he may do some sort of business consultancy or something, or help our eldest son start a tennis school.

We expect to find lots of things we don't like on Bali, just like anywhere else. Polution, bugs, poverty, corruption, to name just a few. But we can't wait to actually move there. Why? Because I come from Indonesia and after being away for 20 yrs it is time to come home and give something back to my country. I also want our 2 sons to learn a bit about their other half of background, speak Indonesian, get to know my family properly, etc, etc. :)

As long as we get our finances sorted properly, living on Bali would also mean spending more time for each other as a family, before it's too late. We work so hard here, we hardly have the time or energy for each other. We don't even eat together most of the time, if we're lucky we eat together on a Sunday. That's it! (As Bert would say) :(

So guys....... how about sharing your thoughts & aspirations?

Alfred

Apr 21, 2006
Netherlands
Hi Irma,

We are in a simular situation. I have a small business since 1992 wich is running quite well now. I too will wait a couple of
years and then sell the company in order to get a good price. In order to do so the company needs to make substantial profit for some years in a row (wich it already does)

So, being in my late 4ties, It would be nice to relax a bit but in the same time start something new.

Just like you said, I will also semi-retire but then I`m not the guy to just sit still and do nothing. Most likely I would start a new business and / or join someone overthere as a partner in business. I have been in tradings business for the last 20 years or so and have a big network overhere so maybe I start
some export to Europe.

I think, as the moment will come closer and I have visit Bali a couple of times more the ideas will come and things will happen just like they did before. If you offer a service wich is needed, you always can make some money!

My son is asking my attention now.

regards

Alfred.

Tommy

May 11, 2005
Alfred, Irma.
Hi to you both. It`s commendable of you both to go 'in depth' discussing the issues and questions you both have about a possible move to Bali. My one and only 'answer' or suggestion to summarize my view would be to: Come to Bali and live here for a few months. Within this time you'll be able to see everything as it is.. homes, facilities, schools, infrastructur, businesses, poverty, wealth and everything Bali has to offer.. or not offer. 'Words are far from reality', at least to me. Only when you're here you'll truly be able to 'weigh' the goods and bads of living here.

Ps. Alfred, I love your name. My grandpa's name was Alfred *rest his creative soul* and if I ever get a kid 'Alfred' is up there on the top 3 list. :p

Ps. Irma, if you'll eventually move to Desa Adat Canggu it is likely we might share Village. :wink:

Tony

Aug 24, 2005
Maui, Hawaii
Aloha Irma,

My situation is quite similar to both your and Alfred's (with the notable exception that neither my wife or I are Indonesian). We're also in our mid & late 40's and have been traveling several times a year to Bali since 1980. I'm a commercial photographer doing work primarily for large resorts & lifestyle magazines, while my wife has been exporting silver jewelry for wholesale from Bali for over 15 years.

We've recently purchased 17 are. of land near the Soka Beach area in Tabanan and hope to build a home there in the next couple of years. We are island dwellers, having lived in Hawaii for the past 25 years. As much as we love it here, the cost of living is a bit extortionate. Our goal is to retire in Bali...with the ability to spend 3-6 months each year there prior to the actual full-time move. Our Hawaii home will be paid-off in the next 10 years and the rental income from it will provide us a comfortable base income once we move. I already have several resort clients in Bali that I work for with a hope to develop more over the next few years. I am also hoping to spend time writing several books I have smoldering in the back of my head. Bali is also an easier jumping off point than Hawaii to service my other clients in Asia (Singapore, Bangkok, Japan) so the transition seems most natural to us. My wife will be able to continue business as usual from Bali after establishing a network of sales reps here in the US.

We are also, like you, workaholics. We need to keep busy also. I am a certified ceremony junkie and have little fear that there won't be plenty of things to occupy our time. I also have spent some time developing a photographic workshop program which I anticipate putting into action once in Bali where several times a year we would bring groups of camera enthusiasts from the US, Asia & Europe, both professional and serious amateurs, along with noted instructors from the industry for week-long photographic imersion programs on the island.

We suffer no illusions that life in Bali will be idyllic. Of course, we have slight concerns about Bali's economic recovery over the course of the next few years. However, as I said, we have no plans of our income being dependent upon the Bali tourism industry. As we age, our priorties shift. We seek simply a change in lifestyle and scenery and to involve ourselves as much as we will be permitted in a vibrant culture. Bali offers both. Our familiarity with the island and our love of the devotional aspects of Balinese life seems a natural transition at this stage of our lives.

Best to you,

Tony

Alfred

Apr 21, 2006
Netherlands
Tommy, thanks for your kind replay. Indeed, just live there for a wile
(minimum 6 month to a years or so) to become familier with everything.

How many people live in Desa Adat Canggu? Do you happen to know where I can find a real good map of Bali on the internet so I can find also the smaller places there?

regards

Alfred

Alfred

Apr 21, 2006
Netherlands
Dear Tony,

Thanks for sharing `your story` on this forum. Moving from Hawai to Bali.
This must be a great compliment for the Balinese!

Alfred.

Dyah

Dec 29, 2005
Hamburg, Germany
www.ikat-agentur.com
Dear All,
nice to hear your story. My husband and i will move to Bali in the next 5 year... and we know that in first time, we will stay just for 6 months every year. We have to prepare all of things ... for me, it´s not too difficult to make my job in two countries... i can use this possibility for my firm... than my culture agentur work to establish indonesian culture here. Maybe i can open chance for artists to go to international stage ... it´s my big dream :oops:
I have here little Indonesian Language Scholl -than i´m teacher...and i love my work- I will open new programm next year "Learning by Travelling: Bahasa Indonesia Course for German people"...

We have now one property in Jimbaran, near GWK and we preparing step by step our moving to our sweet home in Bali. ...Now we can just dreaming from Bali ... we waiting... until can say all of you "the dream come true"...
Dyah

zonobono

Aug 24, 2005
switzerland
hi dyah,

do you know any indonesian hiphop-artists? i am a producer and would love to write some music for indonesian rapers...well, if by any chance you know somebody, it would be a pleasure if you could arrange some contact.

zono b.

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK
Re: RE: You are on paradise island .... now what?

Aloha to you too Tony, and welcome to the forum!

Tony said:
We seek simply a change in lifestyle and scenery and to involve ourselves as much as we will be permitted in a vibrant culture. Bali offers both. Our familiarity with the island and our love of the devotional aspects of Balinese life seems a natural transition at this stage of our lives.

My sentiment exactly Tony! We could stay here in the rat race for another 20 yrs, running our business, stressed out most days, etc, etc. But at what cost? Our relationship as a family unit has been suffering for a number of years now because of it! Priorities must change soon!!

Alfred, Dyah thanks for sharing your stories too. Let's hope we all will achieve what we are striving for.

Tommy, I agree with you about living there for a few months first before the big move. TOTALLY! 8) Hey, of course, you live in Canggu! Do you have kids? Which school do they go to? How long have you lived there?

Sorry, questions, questions, questions........ :roll:

Anyway, what about all those Bali expats there?!! Helloooo, how come apart from Tommy there's no body else here? Tell us about your stories prior to moving to Bali! Apart from a gorgeous Balinese as partner, what attracted you to the place? What made you not go back to your home country? What makes a success living on Bali? Go on.......don't be shy!

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
I want to be rich and do what ever takes my fancy at the time I fancy it. However in the real world it will be slightly different. :)

For me 6 months on and 6 months off will be the order of the day. Renting until I am sure what I want. I will not work in Bali because that makes life far to complex as to do it correctly is too expensive and to do it (Galap-Galap) in the dark side too risky as it is a possibility that it could lead to deportation.

I am sure if I have the internet, television, books, music and my wife I will have lots to do. Annoying Roy once a week is high on my todo list :)

If my brain begins to Atrophy then a short consultancy in the UK or elsewhrer seems in order. I may even open a cooking school for all the Balinese Angels who want to revert to being wives again. (Ouch Irma).

I think I could spend a couple of years just getting to know the place, its people and the culture. I am sure I will not get bored. After 5 years or so some senility from Roys Martinis will take place and hopefully I can become somewhat of a Nineh Nineh and dote on my grandchildren.

By this time obviously I will need a new and much younger wife to look after me in my dotage. Obviously she will be a pembantu for wife number one who will also be getting on a bit but who will be spending most of her time down at our little neighborhood kiost sell Dji sam soe in single sticks.

Onwards and upwards another 5 years have passed and I am a true Indonesia/Balinese citizen. I will then start to plan my Torajan funeral and sending out invitations for 10 years hence so they can save up enough money for the 10 water buffalo each has to supply.

Hopefully my young wife will have had a couple of children by then and I can play with them.

All in all lots to look forward to doing. Will I be bored? Nah far too busy :)

Alfred

Apr 21, 2006
Netherlands
Jimbo,

:roll: thinking over your comments, you have giving extra input to this discussion. In the end readers can make / take their
own mix of ideas and put their dream into reality.

Your six month on / of Bali sounds okay, but not for us having to young kids. We cannot send them to schools both here and overthere.
If you are alone or a couple with older kids already on their own, your `solution` can be a verry good one.

kindest regards,

Alfred.

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK
Re: RE: You are on paradise island .... now what?

Jimbo said:
I want to be rich and do what ever takes my fancy at the time I fancy it. However in the real world it will be slightly different. :)

I know exactly what you mean my fwend..... :(

Jimbo said:
Annoying Roy once a week is high on my todo list :)

Count me in!! :lol:

Jimbo said:
I may even open a cooking school for all the Balinese Angels who want to revert to being wives again. (Ouch Irma).

Watch it Pal!!! :twisted: :lol: :p

Jimbo said:
hopefully I can become somewhat of a Nineh Nineh and dote on my grandchildren.).

Nineh Nineh? Shouldn't it be Nenek-Nenek, Roy? :p

Tommy

May 11, 2005
Hey, of course, you live in Canggu! Do you have kids? Which school do they go to? How long have you lived there?

Irma,
i don't live in Canggu yet but have been in the area alot the last 8 years or so. I've been in Bali since around '96 and lived a few years in Kuta, ping-ponged to Denpasar between '00 'til '02 and formally moved to Denpasar after the first bombing in '02. Everytime i drop by Kuta i think to myself "best thing i ever did was to move from here" though Denpasar is no picnic either. :oops: I've been reluctant to buy any land in Canggu as i didn't want to add any more buildings to the fine landscape. Unfortunately it's not very realistic to think that the sawah will stay untouched and pristine forever in this expanding area.. therefore i recently decided to buy a big lot of land in Canggu "before anyone else gets it" (not rice-field land but dry grass-land). We're still in progress planning how the land should be used and for what purpose. No kids yet as far as i know. :)

Ps. Roy, about schooling.. Bima and Rama go to school in Panjer (jl.tukad pakerisan / jl.bedugul)?