Women caught in a more radical Indonesia

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas
Ok I agree with you but, why do we wear anything at all? For me I find a half naked lady arousing and a distraction... if chicks ran around naked all day , I would get nothing done,, mabey thats why parts of africa are so "behind"...all they do is run around and hump like rabbits with no regard of the results "more children" that they cannot even feed!!! getting down to the primal ehh??,,, there should be some modesty, nothing worse than having to see the lacy panties under a mini-skirt on a young smoothed skin 17 year old while I'M SITTING IN CHURCH,, TALK ABOUT A DISTRACTION! You are not a guy and i dont think you can relate to the male hormon and the power it can have over us.... wars have been fought over women,,, lions kill each other and so do we....running around topless would not be very productive ,unless of course theres a brass pole and some loud music to shake your butt too!! you can be an athiest and be modest, I do see where your comming from, but we have to have some rules or laws, and most rules and laws are based upon religious backgrounds,, Ie.. the ten commandments,,, but then again if I was raised with nudity all around me, would it then arouse me? Hmm,, I'f It comes to a vote here I would be more than glad to support the bill for naked chicks running around!!

Jim Thorpe

Nov 7, 2002
USA
Hi Freo!
I understand what you are saying and in general agree with some of it but you say "in normal Islamic countries." I am not sure there is a "normal" Islamic country. Saudi Arabia, the keeper of Mecca? I think Jimbo can tell us how sharia law treats women there... Iran? Pakistan? Afghanistan? Dubai? Kuwait? There doesn't seem to be a normal country.
On the other hand I wonder if there is a "normal" western country. In California there are naked parades. How about the beaches of southern France? Red light district of Amsterdam? All sorts of places that are not controlled by religious laws in the western world. But IN GENERAL, I think someone can say that the penalty for breaking a morality law is more severe in Islamic countries than in western countries. Would you agree?

It also would depend on what Christian sect you were referring to as well as what Islamic sect, wouldn't it?

And for the last thing to throw into the frey :) , I suggest that the laws in most "western countries" are now cultural based (having been in place for centuries or at least decades) vs. religious laws. Passing NEW laws, at the request of the local religious authorities is not cultural but obviously religious.

Cheers from Iowa!

Roslyn

Mar 6, 2007
Middle East
Not sure about other Islamic countries but from personal experience in Dubai we have major extremes to this issue, which is pretty interesting for such a cosmopolitan city.
Walking around any of the 5 star hotels, you will see many eastern European women in their g-string bikinis and Prada stilletoes walking to the pool or to breakfast. No more than 15km away is an area where it is illegal for men to wear shorts...let alone women having to be covered.

I agree with you Jim...I don't think there is a "normal" western country either, from religious beliefs to every day ways of life...especially when you come across brainless amphibians who can't contribute intelligently to a conversation.

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
Froggy wrote:
nothing worse than having to see the lacy panties under a mini-skirt on a young smoothed skin 17 year old while I'M SITTING IN CHURCH,, TALK ABOUT A DISTRACTION!

LOL! That's why muslim women pray at the back of the mosque. Muslims bend over when praying, and while you can't see the panties, I'm told it would be too distracting :lol:

But IN GENERAL, I think someone can say that the penalty for breaking a morality law is more severe in Islamic countries than in western countries. Would you agree?

Yes I agree. However I would argue that under Sharia the wearing of a hijab is a modesty law not a morality law. The breaking of morality laws carry much more severe punishments.

When refering to normal Islamic countries, I was thinking of Pakistan, Indonesia, Malaysia, and most middle eastern countries (Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon and Syria) the later of which have adopted aspects of Sharia law, mostly in business, finance and family law. I don't believe a woman would be 'taken out the back and flogged' in any of those countries for not wearing a hijab.

On your last comment, hmmm religion and culture....

I agree that in western countried the church would be hard pressed to get any new laws passed at their directive, and that is a fundamental difference isn't it? But they are also a pretty strong lobby group when it comes to retaining existing laws that meet their beliefs. They also campaign pretty hard against any new laws that doesn't comply with their beliefs (abortion, gay marriage, to name a couple).

Are our new laws based on culture or religion? The root of our culture is the dominant religion, so a bit of both I think.

Greeting from Perth 8) 8)
Freo

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Jim

I am not being dragged in to Sharia law. I have stated before it is not an extremist law although in some countries the interpretation of it can be.

I am with Freo on this conversation.

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas
I wonder if they get turned on by sexy toes and feet? great -a whole country full of guys with a foot fetish,, Jim I think I'm on ya'lls page- Just had to read over the post a few more times, Jim,Freo know much more about this than I do...

Dasha

Aug 9, 2006
Mornington Peninsula Melbourne
Mark Wales. Well well well … people you bump into on this site when you haven’t got an axe.

Before I start., Make sure you PM me asap soul bro. Cos we gotta get together over there late May, Gayle and I are hoping.

Many of my biz associates have seen those big brown eyes of yours locked onto the wife’s headlights during the shoot at Nuri’s. This is the one that adorns my boardroom wall with all the other shots of Phil the Sanurian and other great Bali expats that day in early March and ask … who is that eccentric looking, big fat cigar chomping, wild eyed Indian guy?

Tell me . How come you are still alive? I thought they had a hitman looking for you. We honestly thought that you had been put 6 feet under simply because we heard the story (very shady background here folks gun runner etc – juz jokin) that your time was limited given the kinda lifestyle you lead… and assumed the worst.

So glad to hear you are still in the land of the living like the rest of us.

Yer…. that day at Roy’s … it is still very blurry, I sorta have flashbacks now and again of this big compound but have no recollection of getting to his place and leaving later. I know you were driving and talking with the incredible Indian plumb accent of yours in full swing… that’s my main recollection of events. Can’t believe we went there after that big arvo and met the great man following copious amount of Roy’s (and now mine) fave drink .. The martini.. And pulled off a great stooge with me as Frank the NZ tourist. Good work you big Indian conman.

In late March we received some great black and white shots of you sitting with the Sanurians wife in their lounge room holding a large schooner of what appears to be Bintang or similar beverage via PM (clock says 10.00am in the background I think – heart starter aye Mark?) and have placed them strategically on my apartment wall. Most of my guests who have not actually set foot in Bali or India for that matter ask… “who is the great one with flowing white hair in that photo with that very attractive young Indonesian woman”.

“Why that is the legendary Sir Mark Wales the most wanted man in Bali” I reply. They then seem to gaze at the shot like stunned mullets. People often mistake you as some God like figure that I worship. Given your majestic stature, stylish dress code and general vibe / ambiance it’s not too difficult to see why.. you very old cool bloke.

And then I always pass on “no he’s just another Bali Expat punter that I met on this website who made the time to meet me and the Mrs on one of our many Indo sojourns”.. Which is why I like to come back to this site and good old Ubud each time now.

Could go on for hours about our exploits… but another day aye?

Don’t; forget My Indian friend .. give old Dasha a PM and stay clear of the bullets until we meet again (late May 07)

Best Dasha