Who ruined this paradise?

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
Got your attention? Good!

I wanted to heat things up as this forum seems to be in a slumber. So I'm throwing out an old but common theme of the worldly. This may or may not be my personal opinion so spare me the bashing.

This place used to be great! I remember when (insert locale) was so cool. Now it's overrun with (insert any number of negatives) and it's all the fault of the .....

a. locals
b. expats
c. tourists
d. Tommy Suharto

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
I have been going to Bali since 1981 so I could do 100's of these but today I decided to look to the future and accept Bali for what it is/was on Friday when I left. The best place ever to go for a holiday in the world with lovely smiling people, good shopping, lots of fun with other tourists and locals. You can make life time friends, Indonesian, German, French or Americans.

I have just returned from Bali :D and took a friend with me who was one of the group of first timers in 1981. We are very different people compared to 25 years ago. Bits of memory came back to her, not much and to see what a great holiday she had just confirmed to me "it is what you want it to be".

Anyway as you say that's my opinion today, and am still on a high after just returning. :)

Tina

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
OK, I'll give it a go:

This place used to be great! I remember when Gilimanuk was so cool. Now it's overrun with Tommy Suharto and it's all the fault of Habibi! :p

dandan

Apr 15, 2006
perth
STOKING THE FIRE

YOUR ALL A BUNCH OF @##$%@ SLAVES!
THATS RIGHT , SLAVES.
YOU ALL THINK YOUR SAFE IN YOUR LITTLE WORLDS YOU HAVE CREATED BUT WE WILL HAVE THE LAST LAUGH.
EARTH USED TO BE SUCH A COOL PLACE, NOW ITS OVERRUN WITH THESE ALL THESE DAMNED HUMANS. :evil:

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
How right you are DD! In my past life I was a beautiful stone then after a few billion years of bliss some genious made me into a wheel. Well, you know the rest . . .

dandan

Apr 15, 2006
perth
maybe someone should invite mr bounder back to the forum, his posts in the archives and the numerous reactions to his wacky posts makes for some interesting reading.

really opened my eyes to "the true nature of the balinese and bali itself" you know?

thinkin about cancelling my ticket to bali too, i WAS going to arrive on wednesday ,but I d HATE to think I might pay 5 times what a local dirt farmer paid for the same plate of nasi goreng!

on second thoughts, i dont think i will cancel.
hey Roy, hows your new house ? all done? also , is the gallery open? and whats the address of the gallery so we can visit it.

Tony

Aug 24, 2005
Maui, Hawaii
Paradise is more a state of mind than a point on the map. With the right attitude, paradise can be found anywhere. With the wrong attitude, one man's paradise is another's hell. Returning from my first trip to Bali in the late 70's, I thought I had found hell on earth and vowed never to return. 30 years later and many return trips under my belt and a wife with business based there, I've grown to love the place and have found that it provides me endless opportunities to be fascinated...and endless opportunites to be appalled.

OK...that said...can I still vote for Tommy?

Dyah

Dec 29, 2005
Hamburg, Germany
www.ikat-agentur.com
I´m agree with you Tony. Bali was for me just one of beatiful island in my country... I didn´t thought that one day, i find this island as one place in Indonesian with more international understanding between peoples... and that´s make Bali one of World-Paradise in Indonesia for me.
The number of negatives are fault of many people... exactly people with power ... like Tomy.
Dyah

freelancer

Jul 4, 2006
Cardiff, Wales
Um... but was this a paradise to start with anyway?

The scene, no doubt is paradise. The people...well... if it's the first time, sure, the people 'seem' nice and always smiling. But as some of us know, the Balinese have a smile for every emotion. You never know what they really think.

The tourists have always been there since the 1920's when the Dutch came and developed this place. During the last 30 years, it definitely brought more and more influences of Globalisation and capitalism to this island. Is it a bad thing? Bad only for those who wants Bali to stay the same. Good for the people who are making business here.

Who really ruined it, I have to say it's the world bank and all those international organisations. Indonesia is one of the biggest debtors in the world, therefore, one of the poorest. There are many corruptions in the country, where all it takes is for a international justice organisation to lay the smack down (like the UN, supposedly), and give them a conditional debt clearning machinism (ie. education, clean water system, etc.) and open election that is monitored by an unbias watchdog. Monitor the country for a while... and see what we get. I'm sure it'd be better as a whole. The central gov. is too focused on Jakarta. Indonesia is too big of a place and scattered to be ruled like this. Corruption is able to grow in every corner of every island.

Bali is also one of them, but who ruined this paradise? Maybe it's not ruined but just has gone globalised and the people aren't as innocent and pure but becoming more and more like the rest of the world --- consumerised. :roll:

mosaic

Oct 5, 2003
i have travelled a lot in my thirty yrs and found Bali amazing. people must and probably do understand that things never stay the same. progress brings garbage, over developed areas etc. where else in the world can you go and holiday or live for such little money and still feel safe.... bali to me is such a beautiful, mysterious place . cant wait to go back. I met travellers who bitched and whined about the hawkers, street dogs, garbage burning. To me thats what make s bali wonderful. I can only imagine what it was like 25 yrs ago...

orang gila

Jul 6, 2006
Bali
Thought I should make my first post a response here.

I feel Bali is more of a Paradise now compared to 20 years or so ago when I first made a visit. I don't fully agree that ALL the changes are beneficial to the Balinese, but in the main I'm happy with how things are.

Now that we have chosen to reside in Bali, I hope that our input has a positive ripple effect, and that we can help to improve our environment a l'il bit more.

If I do get frustrated here, all I have to do is jog my brain and remember the reasons why we left Oz. Instant cure for frustrations.

Cheers

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Orang Gila! Welcome to the forum! Your name reminds me of my first attempt in ordering a cup of coffee in Bahasa Indonesia many years ago. “Saya mau minum satu Bali koppe, tidak susu, tidak gila!” The gorgeous young waitress, without blinking an eye replied in perfect English, “pak, we don’t serve crazy coffee here” and sped off to the back of the restaurant to open up her flood of laughter!

Anyway, once again welcome. I for one, and I have no doubts others too, are looking forward to hearing from you more.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Who has ruined Bali? Well I suppose all those who do not care about it from Tourists to corrupt officials. What makes Bali still great in spite of all that...well we know its the people.

Ruined is strong but there is a posibility it could deteriorate further unless things are done.

Roy whats happening to give it sustainable developement without destroying it?

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Jimbo asks me,

Roy whats happening to give it sustainable developement without destroying it?

First off Jimbo, I am honored that you asked me this question. I must say matur suksma, or in high Balinese, thanks for that.

Without “skirting” your question, I can only address it with my own personal knowledge, and that is limited to Ubud, Gianyar Regency, and the many villages that encompass Ubud.

You asked about “sustainable development” without “destroying it” which I take to mean “it” means, the Balinese culture.

In the last six or so years, Ubud has undergone a vast reconstruction of its infrastructure. Beyond the roads and sidewalks, there are way too many other elements within Ubud, and its environs, to fully describe, but I can throw out topics like schools, medical facilities, and temples.

Virtually none of this “sustainable development” has contributed to the demise, or destruction of Balinese culture, but rather, it has enhanced it. Please keep in mind that within Ubud, “sustainable development” does NOT include ANY fast food restaurants like MacDonalds, or Burger King, nor for that matter, even a Starbucks coffee house!

For the Ubudophile of say twenty or thirty years ago, Ubud retains its unique position in Bali as the cultural heart of Bali, and a place unlike anywhere else on Bali. The why of that is embraced in a unique bond between the royal family of Ubud, and the adat, or customs of all the villages that encompass Ubud.

“Sustainable development” has done a great deal of very proactive, and meaningful changes for the Balinese in the Ubud area. Knowing many of these wonderful Ubud area Balinese as I do, I can say that they embrace these changes within Hindu/Dharma, and that if there is any effect upon them, with these changes, it is that they are more devote, and thankful. That’s what I’ve seen in my little village, a part of a bigger village, which is a part of Ubud, which is a part of Gianyar Regency, which is a part of Bali, which is a part of Indonesia.

Personally, I love it! It’s great to be just a small part of this wonderful metamorphosis.