Where to stay for two-month surf trip with 1-year-old

surfista

Hello all,
My husband and I are avid surfers - he owns a surf school in Peru - and we're making plans for a two-month surf trip to Bali in June/July 2010. Our daughter will be 1 year, 4 months when we travel, so we're thinking it would be best to stay away from the Kuta tourist strip and find somewhere that's more peaceful, yet close to some surf breaks. He'll be fine with renting a motorcycle to go all over the island, but I'll be more limited in my search for waves because of the baby and my surfing level (intermediate). Any suggestions for where we should look? Are there quiet beaches with surf breaks near Sanur, Seminyak, or Legian? Are there apartments for rent within walking distance of surf breaks?
~Thanks~

I am not a surfer but one of the most popular areas for surfing is close to where I live, in the Uluwatu, Padang padang, Bingin, Balangan area. All these beaches are within about 20 minutes drive of me. It's a lovely area to live. For two months you wouldn't be look at renting an apartment as such but a holiday bungalow basically just a stand alone room with attached bathroom. The only downside with a small child is a lot of steps up and down to the beaches. But in far from good condition and manage them with my now 3 year old but he was one when we moved here.

canggu

i would recommend canggu - i am not a surfer but know that there are many levels " surfable" .
With the ecco beach, you have a nice spot which is easy to reach and some nice restaurants with a lot of families and kids around.
its also more fresh , means its not getting that hot in this area, as the beach is longer you can have a walk or easier playing in the ( there black)sand.
there are nice little hidden places , small cafes , warungs and restaurants in canggu and also two good daycares if you would like to have a couple of hours off.
nice appartments and villas are available, some of them close to the beach and reasonable priced.
also if you would like to have a nanny or help, its easier to find in this area.

i would not recommend to bring a western pushchair, mine got broken in these streets wihin 3 days and the stainless steal got very hot in the sun.
the local pushchairs have plastic and big suncovers and are very good for the streest here.
you can rent them here, check out the bali for kids website( baliforkids.com), its also a very helpful site for all about bali and kids.

have a nice stay.

leandra

Leandra is right, Canggu have the best beach in Bali for surfing and diving. Villas is a common pick for lodging also so I advice you to ask for reservation first as this summer in tropics have plenty of vacationer.

What? Canggu has the best surfing and diving?

Canggu is a heavy board snapping beach break that time of year, and a difficult paddle out. Good luck, bring more than one board, ive seen boards snapped there just on the paddle out. Maybe for your hubby.

Intermediate level forget padang padang and uluwatu???, that time of year expect 100 people out all high level surfers - some world class) at each break - and consistent size and power. Maybe for your hubby. Maybe.
Balangan and Dreamland are YOUR best opportunities. Or perhaps Balian further up the coast. You are coming when waves are at their biggest and most powerful.

Where do you dive in Canggu Balivillaholidays.....and what kind of name is that anway? Is it some kind of advertising plug?

Wherever you are you will get waves that time of year, trouble will be finding ones managable enough. Stay away from the east coast, wind is wrong for it in June/July.

Last edited:
Balangan and Dreamland are YOUR best opportunities.

I did say I wasnt a surfer and of course Balangan & Dreamland are in the same area. In fact Balangan is my personal favourite beach on Bali and the one we most often go to.

I still reckon the bukit is a good area for them. There is a great preschool too if they want it Children's House.

Thanks all. I had heard Dreamland might be a good option but the recent construction destroyed it. Is it really that bad now? I will definitely check out Balangan (Bukit peninsula) and Canggu though.

Last edited:
Back