Where can I buy prescription eye glasses in Bali?

davidbee

Oct 20, 2009
Hi,

We're going to Bali soon and I was thinking of getting new prescription eyeglasses. :shock: Can anyone recommend a good optometrist?

Cheers,

David in Sydney

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Hi, davidbee

There are many optometrists in Bali. I'm not really sure why since most Balinese seem to have good eyesight. Either that, or they can't afford to buy glasses.

Any large shopping centre/mall will probably have several. I got my last pair from Optik Seis in Denpasar (many branches). Total cost was about Rp 1,000,000 (approx AUD 120).

Three months later, the coating started to deteriorate badly so I took them back. I had to wait several weeks for a replacement, but there was no charge. The new pair is starting to go the same way but it's a year later.

Maybe it's the climate or something worse, like a rip-off. I don't know. Optik Seis is one of the larger companies with branches all over Indonesia. I also don't know how you can check the product quality and workmanship before you walk out the door.

If you live here, as I do, it's no big deal. I can always go back and get another replacement. If you don't live here, what can you do if looking through your glasses is like looking through a spider's web?

See what I mean?

In case I've given a bad impression about optometrists here, let me add that they're not all bad, by any means. My experience might have been a one-off or simply bad luck. I've had occasion to walk into some for a few minor adjustments and they did them for free!

8)

(Note the sunglasses)

davidbee

Oct 20, 2009
Thanks JohnnyCool,

Now I'm not so sure I will, I imagined the quality would be much the same. Can you get internationally known brand name glasses there as well?

David

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Now I'm not so sure I will, I imagined the quality would be much the same. Can you get internationally known brand name glasses there as well?
They're not all charlatans, but there are probably more around these days than in the past.

Fake products are all over the place. Just now on local TV, saw a report about a guy in Jakarta busted for selling fake Nokia phones on the internet. Bought casings and filled them with sand, (sorry, my Indonesian leaves a lot to desired).

Some other favourite scams I've heard about include fake eggs and fake aviation fuel. Hard to believe, I know. I've had the occasional crate of fake beer.

No problem finding internally-known brand name sun-glasses, T-shirts, perfumes, watches, you name it. I can score the latest Rolex for about five bucks on the beach, any day of the week, (unless there's a ceremony going on).

Seeing is not always believing
Or
Believing is not always seeing

Take your pick.

:D

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
i have been buying prescription glasses in Indonesia for almost 27 years. I buy them 2 0r 3 pairs at a time at a cost of between 300 and 600, 000. I have had my eyes tested there and in the UK and they have always given the correct prescription.

Never been ripped off but as I only use them for no longer than 18 months they have always been great value compared with other places.

Go for it

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
20/20, Jimbo

Me, too. Until last year.

Just highlighting that things may have changed with some companies.
And these days, it's harder to know whom to trust.

Buyer beware. just in case. Applies all over the world, not just here.

And davidbee...buy some glasses in Bali. Chances are they'll be just fine.

If not, you were warned here first.

8)

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
JohnnyCool write

I also don't know how you can check the product quality and workmanship before you walk out the door.

Easily done. when you walk out of the store, if you collide with the door frame of the stote, then... :)

The reason Balinese in general do not wear glasses is not because they have particular good eyesights, but rather because they can't afford them. Often, when returning to Bali, I would bring along a dozen of reading glasses (the cheap but useful type one can pick up in a US drugstore for few $$), and distribute them in the village: believe me the villagers wore them.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
JohnnyCool write

I also don't know how you can check the product quality and workmanship before you walk out the door.

Easily done. when you walk out of the store, if you collide with the door frame of the stote, then... :)

The reason Balinese in general do not wear glasses is not because they have particular good eyesights, but rather because they can't afford them. Often, when returning to Bali, I would bring along a dozen of reading glasses (the cheap but useful type one can pick up in a US drugstore for few $$), and distribute them in the village: believe me the villagers wore them.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Nice advice, tintin

However, If you look again, you'll see that I said
...before you walk out the door...
A subtle difference, wouldn't you agree? (If you see my point.)

Look even closer and I think I suggested something like this, too...
The reason Balinese in general do not wear glasses is not because they have particular good eyesights, but rather because they can't afford them.
Am I wrong but did you post the same thing twice, or am I seeing double?

Maybe you shouldn't have given away all those cheap US drug-store glasses - kept some for yourself.

Are you really sure those villagers are still using them for something other than starting fires with?

When was the last time you checked your prescription, (for your eyes, I mean)?

I just hope that davidbee has got the answer to his original question and we haven't freaked the guy out, too much.

As for Jimbo - Has he actually lived in Bali? Maybe I can't see the wood for the trees but it seems to me his 27 years of good value glasses in Indonesia could have been flukes. That's fine and good luck. But if you've been living and working in weird desert places like "Boratville" much of your life, you're bound to get both sand in your eyes and scratched lenses.

I saw the light once, when I was a bored-again Christian.
My good glasses helped me get over it.

8)

peterk

May 17, 2004
Victoria Aust
Hi David. I buy my reading and script sun glasses at Centro the large department store opposite WaterBom. I take my script from Australia and get 2 sets made all have been excellent with no question of quality. There are 2 stores on the ground floor . I've used both and both are excellent. Price is very good but varies on the style and design . I usually leave one set at my home in Bali and take another set back to Aust. Hope this helps. Peter

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
JohnnyCool wrote,

However, If you look again, you'll see that I said
...before you walk out the door...
A subtle difference, wouldn't you agree? (If you see my point.)

Relax, Johnny, it was an attempt at some humor. Actually, trying to walk through the door constitutes the final eye glasses test. When/if you bump into the door frame, you haven't gotten out of the shop yet, bukan?

Am I wrong but did you post the same thing twice, or am I seeing double?

The same thing twice? Where? You do need glasses my friend, and also to remove the hair you have up your a$s this morning. :twisted:

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
tintin...let's just hope some folks buy some good glasses and are happy with them.

The same thing twice? Where? You do need glasses my friend...
Right here...just scroll up a bit, if you don't believe me.

I do need glasses and have them. Bought most of them in Bali. My first Balinese pair were around 1980 (I forget).

Some of the "optometrists" I've encountered have been very beautiful women. Not easy being in a darkened room trying to read eye-charts with them six inches away from my face changing lenses and breathing all over me.

What if I'd pretended I still couldn't see properly and started to grope my way around? That would prove the script wasn't strong enough and encourage them to work harder.

My other "test" would be from how far away can I spot a Balinese princess/living goddess in jeans? Given that all Balinese have black hair, (apart from albinos), that distance is less than if there were blondes around.

Men can see blondes from much further away - it's a scientific fact. I think women can spot potentially threatening women from much greater distances than men, no matter what colour the woman's hair is. I'm not sure if this has been tested yet, or not.

Ask your wife if your wheelchair's battery is fully charged-up.
(A bad attempt at "humour", I know. Please forgive me in advance.)

8)

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
JohnnyCool writes,

[quote:pm2uyl2e]The same thing twice? Where? You do need glasses my friend...
Right here...just scroll up a bit, if you don't believe me.[/quote:pm2uyl2e]

Well, Johnny, if there was any doubt about your having a little sense of humour left , you have just dispelled it: of course, I had seen the duplication of my post (I really don't know how it happened). In the US, my previous comment is called "pulling your leg," but I guess it went above your head. :lol: :lol: