When a Remote Tropical Island is Too Remote

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
When a remote tropical island is too remote

This is the second remote tropical island that I've lived on in the past 15 years - the other one was New Guinea (considerably more remote than Sumbawa). I stayed in New Guinea for nine years, and I've been here for 16 months and would like to stay for years if this teaching position works out. So it should be apparent that I enjoy living on remote tropical islands. But...

There are times when I would like to be back in San Francisco or Chicago or even Bali. When is a tropical island too remote?

When...

1. you want a double cheeseburger and a large order of fries from McDonalds.

2. you have an overwhelming hardware store attack (this may only be understood by men).

3. you've read each of the books in your personal library three times.

4. you'd like to talk to someone who speaks English and does not work with you.

5. you'd like to have a discussion with someone who reads non-fiction books.

6. you'd sell your youngest child for a container of fresh pasteurized milk.

7. you'd like to buy a few packs of baseball cards to see if you can get an Albert Pujols.

8. reading a Sunday Times in bed seems like the height of living.

9. having a telephone in your house seems really important.

10. you can forget that Bush is still the president of the United States.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
When in Nigeria working in the Niger Delta swamps I went totally bush. I refused to come in to the town for almost 6 months. Eventually I was ordered in by the MD for a big party which the british ambassador was to be present with his lady.

The dress was black tie.

I turned up with a black tie..........no shirt, a sarong and bathroom slippers and drunk with a foot long joint.

They never forced me to come in again :) They could not sack me as the head honcho of the client was by best friend.

How I long for those days of no responsibility and the madness of youth :)

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
Dr Bruce

Thanks for the insight.

Jimbo

I would have loved to have seen that. :lol:

I can only imagine living in a remote area would be like.

Sergio

Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
Hahaha, that's awesome Jimbo! :D

drbruce, I know exactly what you mean. To be in peace and quite, tropical paradise... ahhhh it's soooo nice... AT FIRST... lol... and then...

I LOVE Indonesian food like NO other but every now and then... a juicy tenderloin with nice bottle of wine... ahhh and a nice single malt scotch in the evening always seems to complete the day so nicely. :)

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Bacon with HP sauce for me.

Every Friday here I try to make myself the "full English Breakfast( Eggs, chicken franks and beefburgers are not the same).

I feel marginally better however at the end of the month.

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
Great black tie story Jimbo. I have something not quite as funny but along similar lines. I spent a weekend out in the jungle villages when I was living in Papua. When I came back to the mining site, I ran across the mother of a student I taught. As she watched me crawl through a hole in the fence she started to greet me and then gasped somewhat, recovered just barely, said hello and then scurried off.

I was in such a high from the hiking that it was only when I arrived home and went to take a shower than I realized why she had been so startled. I had a pair of jeans on, no shirt, two orchid fiber armbands on each bicep, a boar's tusk necklace, a cuscus headband and a spear in my hand. I was so comfortable out in the jungle that way that I didn't even think about how I would be perceived when I returned to townsite.

Needless to say, I developed something of a reputation for being eccentric after that.

dandan

Apr 15, 2006
perth
first id like to say hi to all, this being my first post here. second if you ever get too lonely and want to talk to english speakers you could go down to hu'u [lakai beach] near dompu .theres a nice little beach there and a great restaurant half owned by a nice french guy. there always people there willing to have a chat. ps if you surf take your board.