Whatever Bali was it isnt there anymore.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
While surfing I found a Bali Travel Journal from a "Bob"

read it here:

http://www.thismodernworld.com/bali.html

Some quotes:

You can tell when the popular Kuta Beach ends, and the more upscale Legian Beach begins, when the whispering men constantly joining you stop trying to sell you underage Balinese girls, and instead merely offer marijuana and hashish.

-

The Bali you've probably heard about doesn't exactly match the Bali that's actually here. (At least, not if you go anywhere tourists normally go. More on that later)

-

Balinese Hinduism only even exists because a bunch of Indians came here and changed everything that came before. Cultures interact and merge, often obliterating each other. That is the story of human history. Balinese art prior to 20th-century European interaction looks remarkably little like the handicrafts now pre-processed in Java and finished as Authentic Bali Souvenirs for the boutiques of Ubud. Even the Balinese language itself is taking on borrowings from English, Bahasa Indonesia, and every tourist dialect rolling through the island.

-

Now, is this a cynical report or a realistic one?

Or is this the view the first time (?) "tourist" gets when they are interested in more then just the beach and shopping?

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
Bert

My take on this piece is Bob was a first time tourist seeing Kuta. I can understand his feelings and views from that perspective (being a first time tourist). It is only when he meets the Balinese in the village, that he could never find again (been their done that) did he get the essence of Bali and the people.

I have been going to Bali since 1981 and sort of grew up with Bali. From the days when Legian was just a name not a place. I got in a cab in September 05 and ask the driver to go to Rum Jungle Road (you know where the old nightclub called The Rum Jungle was). He got on the two way back to base and nobody had heard of it. He thought I was crazy. I told him the only thing along the road 'back then' was the Rum Jungle where was danced and drank the night away.

Bali was never about the tourists I went for the people. I only ever hung out with locals. There was not that many around in those days, mainly surfies and some muso's that use to go to a particular bar and jam every night.

BUT I think if I went to Bali for the first time in this century I would have a very different view of Bali. Bali spoilt me for all the other places I travelled after Bali. Like Sri Lanka, Malaysia, South Pacific, New Zealand, Singapore and Thailand. It all boiled down to the people.

I would hope if Bob spent a bit more time in other areas he might have a different opinion but it is his loss (only my point of view).

matahari

Mar 8, 2005
Oslo
Tina,

I sure miss Rum Jungle, that was a really nice place, where locals and tourist/exats come together, play some pool, have a drink and talking...

:cry:

Jake

May 30, 2005
Australia
Well, I did end up going to Bali again recently...

As a tourist, what he saw is pretty much consistent with what we saw. I'd agree with him on pretty much every point. New lows included witnessing how the 2002 bomb memorial seems to be the worst place in Kuta for drugs pushing now.

I had been to Bali before, but things have seem to have changed now. All the problems were worse, and the good bits seemed to be fewer and further in between. The atmosphere was extremely oppressive.

But that was for me. Keep in mind that since I had been there before, I knew pretty much what to expect. I went with my new wife.

I saw how much the intense... heaviness... of the place freaks the hell out of new visitors to the island. If they put off first time visitors like that, then they'll never get anywhere.

Sadly I won't be going again, ever. There are too many unknowns now and just not enough positives. It's not as friendly now either. We ended up spending much more time in the hotel as a refuge than I had thought we would.

Tommy

May 11, 2005
Yeah Bali is surely not everyone's cup of tea. Some love it and some hate it. :oops:

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Yes, and it depends a bit on where you go....

You don't have to "find refuge" if you go elsewhere...

I also think that Legian / Kuta is not the most friendly and relaxing place....

balijeff

Apr 5, 2005
Kuta Beach
I'd like to hear from long time Bali-philes on their take on how Bali has changed throughout the years.

As for the article, some parts I agree with, others I do not. Yes, if you walk in Kuta after sundown, you will get offers for just about everything.

I certainly disagree with his notion that cultures obliterate each other. If thats true, this world is walking down a decidely dark path. Besides, it will be soooo boring when only culture remains. Anyone read Samuel Hutchinson here?

Arts and crafts. Cant say because I dont know. Are the arts and crafts the same now as, say 500 years ago? And is that a good or bad thing? Or is that even releveant, being good or bad? Hmmm, is a Balinese craft truly balinese if its made on Java? Is the reverse true? If the Balinese make dreamcatchers, are those native american dreamcatchers or Balinese dreamcatchers?

Love to hear your thoughts on that, especially the arts and crafts bit.

Jeffrey

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
Jeff

Here are some of my memories starting in 1981. We stayed at a place advertised in Australia as Bali Sunset Club. It was Joni's in Jalan Padma. I think it is now Legian Beach Hotel but Joni II is still there. The same guy who worked in the restaurant in 1981 (Nyoman) is still there today but working at reception. There is actually a reception these days. The reception in 1981 was down in Kuta somewhere. We use to have to walk about 2k to get to the office. It was great. 40 metre walk to the beach and nothing around us. No shops, no KFC until a few years later. No traffic compared to today. Nightclubs were Crazy Horse, Rum Jungle and Peanuts. We went to mainly Rum Jungle open air and great music. On my second trip a local introduced me to Arak. We would go into Denpasar and go to a shop, sort of like you local shop down the road but there were all men sitting along the counter drinking Arak. We had meet up with a guy from Perth and I had two male friends with me and a couple of locals.

When we went to a restaurant for dinner desert was usually severed before everything else because it was the first ready. If you needed a doctor you had to go to the big hotel in Nusa Dua. Bali reminded me of the Exhibitions ‘sideshow alley’ in Brisbane. Besides rides there are stalls where you can buys toys etc. My first ride in the bemo from the airport up Jalan Legian reminded me of sideshow alley. Everything was colourful and flying in the wind.

All I could do is smell these wonderful smells and see all these wonderful people smiling. We meet wonderful people like the guy who represented our travel agency. We wanted to cancel Thailand and stay in Bali longer so we contacted him. We had to pay another $30.00 (we were expecting more like $100) and he was so apologetic. He invited my friend and I to his daughters 3rd birthday party. We did not like to offend so we agreed. He picked us up on his bike and took us to his place in Tuban. His family had already had their party earlier in the day and for my friend and I he had a new whole suckling pig just for us. He had beer for us (hot but who cared) and when he found out my friend smoked he sent his wife to the shop to buy smokes. He did all this and never asked for anything.

There are so many more stories but it would turn into a book. Needless to say that when I did venture to another country I was spoilt. Thailand was like Bali, the people were friendly and I had a great time but it wasn’t Bali.