What to do next

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
I now have several opportunities to go at. A job in Saudi Arabia ( Job looks just what I want to do but not the place) Another offer to go to Afghanistan ( Don't like the job or the place) and finally I have a telephone interview for a job in Australia.

Can I see myself emigrating at 60. You bet your life I can. It also has the advantage of being a lot closer to Indonesia. The interview is at 6 am on the 28th local time so I will post the results tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Yulie

Sep 1, 2005
Chiangmai
Hi Jimbo..
I wish you luck.But may i know what is you job? My hubby is working in Saudi Arabia too .
He's been go and back for the last 8 years there.Is Saudi realy bad?
Will see what can we do in Bali in the future..

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
I am a project Manager in the construction Industry. The answer is difficult to say. Some place are good and some are not. There is also an element of danger due to extremism and social life is very limited.

Best ask your husband though because after 8 years he will know best.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Pretty Good. The next phase is a Psychometric test and if the results are OK then they will fly my wife and I to Australia for a look around and a final interview.

I had a chance to do a free test on line and my profile fits exactly my job description. Wish me luck!

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Good luck, although moving to Australia would not be my choice. I'm working very hard on getting out of here as fast as possible. :p

In which part of Australia would you be located?

Yulie

Sep 1, 2005
Chiangmai
Well Jimbo..
Thanks for the reply, and wish you all the best for the test and if you move to new place ,hope you and all family like it there.

:)

Baliken

Aug 6, 2005
Darwin/Bali
Hi Jimbo
Just a tip,,,Darwin (Aust) is booming and needs Construction/ Project/Admin/ Site foremen/ managers etc..
A $1 billion water front project is about to start, among many other new projects up here..
Only 2 hrs from Bali..

BK

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Darwin would be ideal. I once lived in Merauke in Irian Jaya which is about 45 minutes flight from Darwin. The company is located in Brisbane but has projects all over Oz and also Indonesia.

Will keep you updated when and If things happen.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Well the air tickets have been booked and the contract signed and on Friday...visa permitting I am on my way to Saudi Arabia. Its been a difficult decsion to make because there is still I good chance to go to Oz but I cannot lose this certain job for a potential one.

Made even worse as it will be some time before I return and see my family but I am eating into my retirement fund sat here without an income. The good news is that I am not going to Afghanistan :)

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Hi all

I thought I would give you an update on my current situation. I am presently Senior Project Manager in charge of an $80 million dollar road project in Saudi Arabia. You will be happy to know that I am miles from anywhere in the middle of the desert constructing 501 Km of a two lane road. This will connect two small towns and be used as a rapid response road for the border guards on the Yemeni Border.

I feel like a king as I have over 700 souls under my control with hundreds of trucks, graders, dozers and my own V8 top of the range Toyota land cruiser.

That’s the good news. The bad news is that I am really having to work for a living. I am also stuck in the middle of the desert miles from anywhere, my leave schedule sucks and my Arabic is not much good. Anywhere looks good from here.

I have just got my e-mail up and running after being here a week. All is satellite uplinks here including phones and communications are painfully slow. The work is a real challenge and there as been absolutely no planning so that’s my first task. As there is no wine I am really beginning to appreciate the different flavours of orange juice. My next beer is scheduled March 2006!!!!!!!!!!!

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
As there is no wine I am really beginning to appreciate the different flavours of orange juice. My next beer is scheduled March 2006!!!!!!!!!!!
:shock: The first one, after the drought, will be like wine of the gods!