What do you forsee for Bali?

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
OK - I have to weigh in NOW!!! Jamie & Raf take your blinders off.

But first this - no Norm, DC boy is not a cut down it simply means I'm male and used to live in DC, as I stated. Appears we have a number of former and current DC residents here.

Yes Tony, DC has some fine homegrown talent- Danny Gatton, Roy Buchanan, Link Ray - all three are, by the way, on Rolling Stones Top 100 Guitarists list. Jerry Garcia didn't make the cut. Lists are subjective and RS is tilted to rock, but blame them not me. As far as the "greatest American R&R band"? - get real Raf! R&R is fast, loud, and it ain’t that pretty! As I recall only one pure rock & roll band is featured on NPR's list of the 100 most important American songs - and that is "I Wanna Be Sedated" by THE greatest American ‘ROCK N ROLL’ band, the Ramones. I’ve seen 100’s of concerts, the first being Jimi H. at the DC Armory at age 11 (thanks to older brothers) and I’ve seen the Dead many times and do appreciate them, and you’ll find their CDs in my collection, so I’m not trying to take anything away from them. And Raf, as far as Trey being better than Django, ask Trey and I’m sure he would have good laugh – and greatness isn’t a matter of popularity. I think if you polled a group of objective guitar enthusiasts you would find Segovia, Rhienhardt, and Hendrix always at the top but forever underground.

Thanks Mats! Post-punk as a period definition refers to those following the initial punk explosion of the 70’s. And FYI, my fave R&R concert – the Clash, London Calling tour, Richie Coliseum, University of Maryland, 1980.

All that said waaaay off thread . . .

Norm

Sep 16, 2006
Australia/Ubud
DCC,

now you're making some sense here ref Ramones but I am keen on The Clash, but my son was a fan of thiers

How do all you DC boys rate grunge and esp Nirvana?

Don't know if its the same over there but in Australia one of the radio stations ran a sort of best song of all time poll just a couple of years ago and "Smells like teen spirit" came out No 1. and I think that happened a couple of times

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
Norm, Nirvana - mucho bueno!!! Best of grunge which isn't saying anything new, eh. Dave Grohl, drummer and now front man for Foo Fighters, is a DC homeboy and owns a popular club there, the Black Cat. So guess you could say they are popular in the Capitol

Adele

Aug 6, 2006
Bendigo, Victoria, Australia
I was lucky to see Nirvana play in Australia a few years before his death, excellent concert and have seen the Foo Fighters twice in concert another very groovey band. Didn't know Courtney Love had been a girlfriend of Jim Morrison, I thought the answer would of been the girl Nikki Hagen from Velvet Underground?

Norm

Sep 16, 2006
Australia/Ubud
Hi Adele,

Yes I did know about Morrison and Love, good couple.

BTW I see you are from Bendigo; nice place drive through fairly often from Mount Gambier to Sydney.

G

Jim Morrison and courtney love could have never dated because Jim died in 1973. Whoever said that must be on some serious 'Bali magic mushrooms.'

Norm, I have heard Nirvana and although Kurt Cobain was a very talented musician and song writer their music never appealed to me like the Clash, Sex pistols, ramones, and talking heads did. i think i was a little to late for the grunge generation.

By the way if anyone finds themselves in Seattle you have to go to the Experience Music museum financed by billionaire Paul Allen. It is a trip down memory lane for all us old hippies 8)

Norm

Sep 16, 2006
Australia/Ubud
Rafeal,

Spot on when you note that Love could never dated Morrison since he died in the very early 1970's.

Adele actually said that she "DIDN'T KNOW Courtney Love had been a girlfriend of Jim Morrison" I think she probably mis-read an earlier post. I was trying to be flippant and facetious at the same time but stuffed up, as I often do. :?

Hope you folks don't mind somebody on the forum who aint perfect :p

truth sayer

Dec 10, 2005
hawaii
Hey, can anyone retrieve the post I just spent 45 minutes writing on this thread? When I went to preview it, it disappeared! I am close to being late for my job, please post it for me! Thanks, Kaysie :D

G

Contact Bert truthsayer he is the forum amistrator.. But for some reason i doubt he will be able to help you either. good luck though. dont you hate it when that shite happens.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
For what’s it’s worth, unless my post is only going to be a short, like this one, I generally compose my posts off-line on “word” and then cut and past it onto the forum. This saves both on-line charges as well as headaches if the forum has a “hiccup.”

Funny though how working habits on the computer can be as various as the people using them.

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
I do the same Roy - I love my spellll ceker too!
Have found that when I get worked upped about something on a forum and write off-line and wait a bit before posting I may decide to change my tone and temper - diplomacy techniques 101

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Good point DCC, especially since the edit function is no longer available. Once those words are posted, there is no taking them back.

BTW, your "spellll ceker" seems to be working fine! :p

Adele

Aug 6, 2006
Bendigo, Victoria, Australia
Hey Norm,
yes I like bendigo too, I moved here about 4 years ago to do my nursing studies! I am a Melbourne girl born and bred but the country is so much nicer for raising my children in.
So back to music, what else does anyone like, how bout you Roy?

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
So back to music, what else does anyone like, how bout you Roy?

Ma'af, (sorry), but the honest answer to that question is very boring. I love the classics...be that classical, or classical jazz.

While cooking, which is my favorite passion aside from love making, I’ll play one of my Bob James CD’s, or one of my Russian favorites... Tchaikovsky, or Mussorgsky. It always depends on what I am going to prepare for the meal. Being an art dealer, it should be no surprise that my favorite piece of all time is Mussorgsky/Ravel’s “Pictures at an Exhibition.”

For very zesty meals, it’s always the Rolling Stones for me. Our pembantu of eight years still laughs, as does my boys, with the sight of me in our kitchen, lovingly in labor over ayam Bali cacciatore while dancing to the Stone’s classics.

My chicken cacciatore received the highest accolades from Bali’s most famous Italian chef, Massimo, when he and Hans from Café Lotus dined on this dish at my house over a year ago. Massimo pronounced it as “better than my mother’s” which is the ultimate compliment any Italian can give.

I take none of this seriously at all. It’s all just pleasure, and fun. Whatever anyone enjoys in music, art, life style, etc, are all gifts that we can enjoy, and some maybe even can influence our lives.

Thorsten

Nov 30, 2002
Germany
Music was my fist love…
Just an hour ago I fixed my piano ( the right pedal was not working since three years or so), it took me 10 minutes and started playing again, well the head is better than the fingers but I felt great, although there will be some practise needed until it will sound like Herbie Hangcock ! :wink:

Maybe next week I will go for some new strings for my father’s heritage, a priceless old semi-acoustic guitar, get the old Fender amplifier fixed, buy a new cable to terrorise the neighbourhood a little bit!
BTW, talking about guitarists, whoever wants to listen to a genius should try Stanley Jordan, he is playing on two guitars at the same time and Al Di Meola once called him the best guitarist ever !

Sorry Bert, I forgot your DVD with classics MP3 at home, next time will bring you two – ok?
Can anybody tell me how to get vinyl records into MP3 and is it worth to try it ?

Best regards
Thorsten

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
I have truly universal taste in music from Billy Holiday to Beyonce and everything in between. I guess this is because the ange range of my children is 14 - 35 including 4 girls. This has meant I have a musical age stretching from the late 50's (Myself and my parents) to Now with my youngest daughter.

But as we all have to have a favourite mine has to be the sweet soul of the early 80's because this was the best time of my life and when I fell in love with Indonesia, Bali and Maria. of course not necessarily in that order :)