What do you forsee for Bali?

G

Hawaii is very nice place to live, and it is in the US which is a plus. There are many other islands and places in the world where I would think the majority of people would rather retire to than on Bali especially with the terrorist blasts happening not too long ago and the general uncertainity of things in Bali and Indonesia. If the world has problems you simply cant escape it by mvoing because these issues affect everyone everywhere.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Hawaii is very nice place to live, and it is in the US which is a plus.
Emphasis mine.

So, what is the plus?

Just so you know Rafeal, last year the AARP, which is the Amercian Association of Retired Persons, with over 20 million members, took a polll from within their membership asking them to list the top places in the world to live in retirement. My friend, Bali came in fifth in that poll.

You can take Hawaii and stuff it. :p I'll take Bali over Hawaii any day of the week, and I have for many years.

Tony

Aug 24, 2005
Maui, Hawaii
Now, now boys...'dissin my home when I'm not looking? Shame, shame...

Hawaii is, in my opinion, the ONLY place to live in the US. I say that as a former long-time resident of DC and the east coast. The upside is that the society here is very open, progessively minded (translation for Raf & JT: Liberal) and scenicly stunning and clean.

That said, Roy knows full well how I can't wait to flee Hawaii to settle in Bali in the hopefully not to distant future. While for several years running, the island of Maui was voted the number one island destination in the world by Travel & Leisure Magazine, Bali has claimed that title for the last two years straight...even after to terrorism incidents.

Back to the original topic of this thread... what will happen to Bali as world problems increase? I don't see anything changing, to be honest. if things get so bad that tourism is no longer a large scale industry on the island, the people will return to being balinese, growing rice and other crops, paying honor to their ancestors and entertaining their gods.

I don't see this really happpening, though. Two major incidents in three years and development continues along at a steady pace. Real estate seems to be moving and retaining value. New markets for tourism have been developed other than the previous focus on australia and seem to be drawing new vistors quite successfully. Sure numbers are still a fraction of what they were over a year ago, but they continue at a steady increase each month.

The Balinese, remember, are only 3...maybe 3 generations into a large scale tourism economy...international flights only began arriving in the 1970's. This culture, from my perspective, is extremely adaptable and if and when things change, they will do just that...adapt.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Excellent insights Tony, and I sure hope you are right with this:

This culture, from my perspective, is extremely adaptable and if and when things change, they will do just that...adapt.

I’m leaning towards what you say, only because I see my own Balinese family as unflappable in the face of any disaster. They just carry on, like yesterday never happened, and tomorrow may not come.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Given that the island of Bali is not all that big (physically), with around 3.5 million people, about 850,000+ dogs, lots of western tourists every year (usually), and many domestic tourists coming from other islands within Indonesia...it can seem a bit pushed to its limits. It does have them, after all, like everywhere else on the planet. I'm not sure that the continuing assault upon Bali can be sustained for too much longer. Basic things like the water supply, provision of electricity, etc, are big problems for the future.

And if:

...the problems in our world increase...

I guess we can all kiss our arses goodbye, including the Balinese. Nobody gets out alive, ever. (As far as any of us know.) You might get re-born, re-cycled, re-incarnated in the future, but that might be pie in the sky stuff. Who knows? (Obviously, I have no "faith" in these things and am definitely doomed for all of eternity. I'm happy being faithlessly blind rather than taking on any relgion that requires "blind faith".)

And if anybody knows of "Shangrilas" out there, I reckon they should keep quiet about them. Sometimes, it doesn't pay to advertise. Look what's happening to Bali...

:roll:

jos

Aug 28, 2006
Netherlands
Just yesterday three bomb blast went of in Thailand (700 km south of Bangkok) one of them in a shopping mall killing at least 3 people and wounding another 20 or so.
Another set of bombs last week here in Europa in Turkey.

So, cann one hide for it? I don`t think so. Specialy in tourist area its becooming more dangerous.

For Bali, I do see an `advantage`. Its an island and if you do good checks on incomming boats and plains you could keep the danger away better then if it wasnt an island.

Am I right?

Jos.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Am I right?

Yes Jos, you are right. But, (and Phil would immediately agree with me on this), the security of Bali is only as good as the security forces who have the responsibility to protect it. Is that level of security in Bali currently adequate? Phil would say no, and I would have to honestly say, I don’t know, but I do know it is better than it was pre first Bali bomb.

Murder through suicide is almost impossible to defend. The US learned that during WWII by way of kamikaze pilots.

If there is one thing these radical extremists have taught us, it is that there are no save havens, aside from the north or south pole.

If there is one thing we haven’t learned, it’s to find out what is at the core of this extremism? I don’t know the answer to that, and I don’t know if anyone aside from the extremists themselves know the answer to that. But, if I had Bush’s job, I’d be spending a great deal of energy trying to get to the heart of this issue.

G

Re: RE: What do you forsee for Bali?

Sanurian said:
...the problems in our world increase...

I guess we can all kiss our arses goodbye, including the Balinese. Nobody gets out alive, ever. (As far as any of us know.) You might get re-born, re-cycled, re-incarnated in the future, but that might be pie in the sky stuff. Who knows? (Obviously, I have no "faith" in these things and am definitely doomed for all of eternity. I'm happy being faithlessly blind rather than taking on any relgion that requires "blind faith".)

And if anybody knows of "Shangrilas" out there, I reckon they should keep quiet about them. Sometimes, it doesn't pay to advertise. Look what's happening to Bali...

:roll:

Sanurian,

Way to quote the late great Jim Morrison without giving him any recognition. Being in shangri-la is all in ones head and not where one is physically. Of course being in a tropical paradise like Bali doesn't hurt achieving that Shangri-la. Next time you try and quote morrison's words try not to pass them off as your own. All keep on eye on this in the future and if you didn't know then disregard this.

"No One Gets out of Here Alive." -Jim Morrison, circa 1971

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Rafeal, I’m going to leave you and Phil to carry on with what you raised.... the Jim Morrison thing.

But Phil, “blind faith” has nothing to do with Hindu/Dharma. There is NO dogma within Hindu/Dharma as found in Bali. There are no ten commandments, nor are there any fanatics of Hindu/Dharma ever to be found here.

Hindu/Dharma in Bali is less a religion, and more a way of living.

One cannot find Balinese, eager and full of religious zeal, wanting to make converts. One cannot find Balinese priests delivering fire and brimstone sermons from a pulpit. But, one can find Balinese priests, high priests, Balians, and holy persons who are willing to share their insights on dealing with the challenges of daily life.

I agree with you though that “Shangri-La” is a state of mind. For me, that is Bali from A to Z.

It’s not my business to say this, but with your best interests at heart....you should go to temple once in a while.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Just an aside here for Rafeal:

...Next time you try and quote morrison's words try not to pass them off as your own...

Oh...I didn't know JM owned those words. And I wasn't trying to pass them off as my own. Have you ever heard of cliches? Rock music is full of them. I wonder where Jim heard that particular one first? I'm more surprised that he could remember it in the first place. The sun ain't yellow, it's chicken (I didn't write that, either).

I'm unclear about your point. Was there one? Don't bother to respond - it might get in the way of your next bong, or whatever.

8)

G

Sanurian,
Look I am not the best typer as you can see but I dont own any words and neither does Mr. Morrison, except the ones that he had published like the ones in your statement. There also is a book titled in those words about his life and is actually really good if you are interested in a good biography about such an iconic and crazy person.

swisshawaiian

Jul 23, 2006
Canggu-Pererenan, Bali
Hawaii is very nice place to live, and it is in the US which is a plus. There are many other islands and places in the world where I would think the majority of people would rather retire to than on Bali especially with the terrorist blasts happening not too long ago and the general uncertainity of things in Bali and Indonesia. If the world has problems you simply cant escape it by mvoing because these issues affect everyone everywhere.

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. I'm orignially Swiss, but I lived in Hawaii for 12 years (hence my username) and just moved to Bali a few months ago after first visiting ten years ago and a trial 2-month period last spring. I thought I should write my first post replying to Rafelal's comments about Hawaii and Bali. First I must admit that Hawaii is a nice place to live. Similar to Bali, it's a spiritual place, lots of good energy there. However, the fact that Hawaii is in the US I consider not a plus but rather a negative. The Hawaiian culture is almost nonexistent and just about everything American is imported, including its lifestyle (which to me is a turnoff). What made me decide to live in Bali is the Balinese people and its culture, not just the beaches, great weather etc. I still love Hawaii and have lots of friends there, but Bali is tough to beat when it comes to local people and culture. But then again, it all depends what our priorities, values and passions are. Thank God, otherwise everybody would want to live in Bali... :)