What are best ways to start-out teaching EFL in indonesia?

daneyo

Mar 12, 2006
East Asia
Hi everyone,
I seek facts & opinions please, about the process of getting a job teaching EFL in Indonesia. My first questions are : -

1) Is there a best time(s) of year to apply for a new teaching job in Indonesia? My plan is come to Indonesia next February,2007.

2) Am I better advised to seek an employer before I come to Indonesia or once in !?

3) Which age group(s) is the biggest student base for English language studies in Indonesia?

4)What's the good average pay? (I know its low by other country standards.)

5) Is some kind of TEFL/TESOL certificate required on top of a university degree?

6) Anything else you can tell me is appreciated.

About me: I'm currently in Taiwan teaching. I'm a mature age Australian male. I see teaching as my initial if not ongoing means of legal status. I'm prepared to think of it as meeting my survival needs...which'll be fine for the first 2 years. But, I'd like something else to happen after that.
:)

Thanks,
Dane

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
RE: What are best ways to start-out teaching EFL in indonesi

Daneyo, welcome to the forum. Your topic of interest has been kicked around in quite a lot of detail in the past. One of our past active forum members was a teacher in Denpasar and had quite a lot of first hand input on this topic. I suggest you do a very good search on this forum to look up those past posts as there is much information there relevant to your interests. Good luck with your plans!

Cassienne

Aug 28, 2004
New Zealand - Bali soon!

HI Daneyo

I used to teach in Mahatma Gandhi school in Denpasar. I know they are always looking for nw teachers. Their email is [email protected] if you want some more information. This is a national-plus school, which means most of the students are half Balinese, half something else. It pays extrememly well for a Balinese salary, but not nearly as well as an international school like EF. EF is a good school, I have some friends that taught there, but I think you need to actually have a teaching degree. Not sure - I have a BSc in Chem and Psychology, and after that I did CELTA. Most jobs require CELTA or the like, but if you are happy to work in a small Balinese school I doubt this would be needed. I am in a bit of a hurry right now, but if you want to chat about it email me, it's [email protected]
Good luck.

charlie

Aug 9, 2005
unhappily in sydney

i agree with casienne. I taught in Jakarta and most schools do require CELTA or equivalent. Some schools in Jakarta will take you if you have a degree in anything even if it's not education. EF will take you if you have CELTA and then they will train you to their standards and syllabus. If you're Asutralian look a doing the CELTA through International House in Sydney. They have offices all over the world and you can do an intensive fast track course in a month. It is generally easier to get a job before arriving and schools will pay for tickets and visa's etc before you get to indo. Having said that - always read the small print on contracts !!!

Good luck!!!

smusdar

Dec 19, 2005
jakarta
www.click4trip.net

Hi daneyo,

I have a canadian friend, who has experienced teaching english in some asian countries. He is bachelor degree from canadian Univ, then teach english in taiwan. In taiwan he doesnt need certain teaching certification, but since he plan to teach in JIS (jakarta International School), he now continue his study at Murdoch Univ, OZ to get the master & teaching certifiation (dual program).

There are many Int'l school in Jakarta, and 2 in Bandung.
The salary is good enough for expats.

Regards,
Sh

charlie

Aug 9, 2005
unhappily in sydney

None that i know of. You just usually have to be generally fit and healthy. Some schools in Jakarta ask for a health check.

smusdar

Dec 19, 2005
jakarta
www.click4trip.net

Dear Charlie,

It's OOT actually (but more effective if i ask the query here). I desire to know if my elder sister wish to be a teacher in Melb, victoria, OZ.
She was editor in National Newspaper, bachelor in Literature and has certificate of Bahasa Indonesia teaching from IKIP Jakarta.

So I hope you dont mind to explain me all the requirements and any steps must be taken by her.

Thanks in advance (please PM me)
Cheers,
Sari