Well, it looks like my post number three thousand is coming

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
This really doesn’t mean anything excepting the recognition that I talk more, and more often than anyone else currently registered on this forum.

I guess Eri is right. I should learn to just zip the mouth, and learn more how to be a plastic toy, nodding my head near the back windshield. Some drivers behind us can say, “ah, Pak Roy says hi.” They won’t be so impressed, as they know for certain I’m not driving, but, they will know it is me.

In all my years on Bert’s forum, and since the beginning, I have loved it and embraced it. That being said, I have often abused it, and let my ego, pride, or whatever, get in the way. But all the while, that burly Dutchman, Bert, seemed to understand me, and allowed me to continue.

So, in honor of that, I propose a contest. My idea is this...to find my most outrageous and utterly dumb, profoundly stupid, insane, impolite, nasty quotes you can attribute to me on this forum, and quote them on this string. Bert and Mats will be the judges, and their decision will be final. For me, I will pay for a one night stay (twin) at the Melka, where you too can swim with their dolphins!

Go for it, and have fun. You can be sure that in those almost 3,000 posts, there is a lot of meat to win this competition. Going on eight years of living Bali 24/7, and 365 a year, is to never take oneself too seriously, but I often did, and the evidence is in the archives. Have fun, enjoy, and pray that my next 3,000 posts are each, and all, something worthy of note.

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
RE: Well, it looks like my post number three thousand is co

Congratualtions Roy. Everything you said is 100% right. I think without you though it would be a little less a 'must read' for me nearly every day.

Roy is there a time limit on your competition? I think it would require someone constantly working on it, approximately 6.5 weeks 24/7 :roll: to check those 3000 posts. :lol: but now the I have wire less I can sit anywhere in the house (in front of TV) and search all the post :cry: :cry:

Tina

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar

Roy

One of the things about your almost 3000 posts is that they are usually in depth rather than just 1 liners. Even though you have proberbly had heated discussions in the past with a majority of long timers in here, your post have generated lots of discussion.

Your in depth answers have helped an awful lot of new comers to Bali or even those that just want answers. For me you unfailing abilty to help these folks is your greatest asset and in the last 6 months or so you have been on a different level of politeness to what I first knew.

I wish you well for the next 3000 this forum would be a poorer place without you. Good Luck.

Dyah

Dec 29, 2005
Hamburg, Germany
www.ikat-agentur.com

Om Roy,
congratulation...
selamat
gratuliere

i hope that Ibu Eri nicht jealous to this forum, that you spend more time with us here :roll:

Salam, Dyah

NED

Jun 4, 2005
Sydney

Thankyou Roy for providing such insightful comments over the years.

It seems only yesterday that we congratulated you on 2000 posts!

It takes some courage, humbleness and obviously a sense of humour to admit your 'failings' etc but you have never shyed away from from being honest and open with all your opinions.

To all those who only know Roy through the forum, I can assure you that having meet he and Eri, they both are delightful people, with unlimited energy to show and tell you about their Bali and it becomes obvious why Roy is so passionate in his posts.

Looking foward to your next 'milestone'.

Ned

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali

Hmmm, this string is not turning out as planned, but I surely appreciate all the wonderful comments, especially yours Ned.

DCC, you of all people should find it most easy to find some of the posts to which I referred. After all, I am most brutal of all to expats that are clearly here for the sole reason of exploiting Bali and their own personal gain.

Speaking of exploiting, isn’t the avatar image of Alfred E. Neuman, (Mad Magazine) copyrighted, and thus you are forcing Bert into a copyright violation by using it as your avatar? I pose the question hypothetically, as I already know the answer is yes.

London

Aug 28, 2006
Yes
Re: RE: Well, it looks like my post number three thousand i

Roy said:
I pose the question hypothetically, as I already know the answer is yes.

:D :D :D :D Funny!!

Although I dont post that often, I'm always reading.

Keep it up!!

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang

I'm trying resist temtation Roy! :)

And FYI, I asked Mr. Newman for permission and his response? What, me worry...

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
Re: RE: Well, it looks like my post number three thousand i

Roy said:
Hmmm, this string is not turning out as planned...

Sounds almost like you're getting bored Roy and looking for an argument?

M: (Knock)
A: Come in.
M: Ah, Is this the right room for an argument?
A: I told you once.
M: No you haven't.
A: Yes I have.
M: When?
A: Just now.
M: No you didn't.
A: Yes I did.
M: You didn't
A: I did!
M: You didn't!
A: I'm telling you I did!
M: You did not!!
A: Oh, I'm sorry, just one moment. Is this a five minute argument or the full half hour?
M: Oh, just the five minutes.
A: Ah, thank you. Anyway, I did.
M: You most certainly did not.
A: Look, let's get this thing clear; I quite definitely told you.
M: No you did not.
M: You didn't.
A: Did.
M: Oh look, this isn't an argument.
A: Yes it is.
M: No it isn't. It's just contradiction.
A: No it isn't.
M: It is!
A: It is not.
M: Look, you just contradicted me.
A: I did not.
M: Oh you did!!
A: No, no, no.
M: You did just then.
A: Nonsense!
M: Oh, this is futile!
M: I came here for a good argument.
A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
A: It can be.
M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
A: Yes it is!
M: No it isn't!

A: Yes it is!
M: Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.
(short pause)
M: It is.
A: Not at all.
M: Now look.
A: (Rings bell) Good Morning.
M: What?
A: That's it. Good morning.
M: I was just getting interested.
A: Sorry, the five minutes is up.
M: That was never five minutes!
A: I'm afraid it was.
M: It wasn't.
Pause
A: I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to argue anymore.
M: What?!
A: If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.
M: Yes, but that was never five minutes, just now. Oh come on!
A: (Hums)
M: Look, this is ridiculous.
A: I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to argue unless you've paid!
M: Oh, all right.
(pays money)
A: Thank you.
short pause
M: Well?
A: Well what?
M: That wasn't really five minutes, just now.
A: I told you, I'm not allowed to argue unless you've paid.
M: I just paid!
A: No you didn't.
M: I DID!
A: No you didn't.
M: Look, I don't want to argue about that.
A: Well, you didn't pay.
M: Aha. If I didn't pay, why are you arguing? I Got you!
A: No you haven't.
M: Yes I have. If you're arguing, I must have paid.
A: Not necessarily. I could be arguing in my spare time.
M: Oh I've had enough of this.
A: No you haven't.
M: Oh Shut up.

:lol: :lol:

Jim Thorpe

Nov 7, 2002
USA

Roy,
You KNOW that Bert deleted the REALLY good ones but I have started my search hoping that you will include round trip tickets in the contest.

I have just started out with the search but I thought you would be interested in my results so far. On the search page, I have put your name as author and am putting various insulting names as the search word. Here are the early results.

Search word : Idiot. 18 posts matching these parameters.
Search word : crazy. 24 posts matching.
Search word : stupid. 24 posts matching.
Search word : asshole. 1 post slipped through the system.
Search word : dumbass. 1 post also slipped through the system.
And just for the fun of it, I put in Brooks Brothers.....drum roll....24 posts!

Now I am not insinuating that YOU are any of these things. I am just using colorful phrases that I thought you may use when you are in true put-down mode. I probably should search some more interesting phrases, just give me some time to pick the best of them....:)

JAMIE

Apr 20, 2005
BERGEN COUNTY NJ USA

ROY ..I have my entry . You sell Bali's art and relics on Ebay to the highest bidder and you say that your hardest on expats who use Bali for their own gain ? I think that was one of your stupidist posts .

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali

Geez, Bert has carved up the string, and now is serving it without any au jus. So, do I have to remind you again what our eBay sales are about, or are you going to just accept that in Bergen, New Jersey, it’s very unlikely that anyone would understand. It’s up to you Jamie. We can go on, or not...as it is totally up to you.

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas

Wow, I just found a post where you told a lady ( not even a F%#@ing thank you) bert was trying to help her get$$ refunded on her credit card from a hotel that was using a logo that wasn't registered to them,, and she did not properly thank him,,, yea it was a great one-- hope to collect on the prize soon---- Frog

made marko

Jun 12, 2004
Niskala, Berkala

"Oh yay baby! I am vintage 1950 cheateu lafite Rothchild...a VERY good year!

God need not give you any strength dear, when enjoying this fine wine, as it's like angels pissing on your tounge! :p "
-R.T.
friday, march17 2006
12:26 pm

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali

Well done Made! I forgot that classic. I pray the angels piss on your tongue as much as they have mine. Well done, and as I said earlier, welcome back!

Adele

Aug 6, 2006
Bendigo, Victoria, Australia

Havent found one yet Roy but I did like the angels one and remember reading it. Just wanted to also concrats on 3000 posts it is your input to the forum that keeps me comming back.