Visa for Bali Indonesia

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Indonesia will revoke visa-free travel for most foreign visitors starting Oct. 1, despite fears that the move could further dent the country's beleaguered tourism industry. Indonesia plans to charge foreigners US$30 for a 30-day nonrenewable visa upon arrival. Citizens of 11 countries who offer visa-free travel to Indonesians will be exempt from the new rule; Brunei, Chile, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Macao, Morocco, Peru, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Turkey. Indonesia introduced visa-free travel in 1983 to attract more foreign tourists. But officials say it has been abused by foreigners who work illegally or engage in other illegal activities in Indonesia.

G

do you know how this affects the 6-month visa? the sosial/budaya uses the same 60days period before extensions as the tourist-visa... does this mean that the ones that apply for sosial/budaya have to extend the visa after 30 days now? ... to a total of 5 months instead? :?:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
No, there are no changes to the sosial/budya, business visas or kitas...at this time anyway. :wink:

G

hmm.. roy. in the sponsor-letter do you use a "materei"? this is a "bad habit" of mine to always buy these and i'm not even sure if they're necessary for the sponsorletter. :?:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Yes, I've always used them, currently they are Rp 6,000. I asked about this once at the Indonesian embassy in Bangkok, and as usual, did not get a very direct answer to a specific question...more of shrugged shoulders. My philosophy is "better safe" then sorry.

G

good thing i used the 6000rp my girlfriend sent me then. :) thanks for the helpful info roy. you're the man. :)

G

oops.. forgot to log-in. I moved my computer to my friends house and connected LAN and out on the net through his ADSL... :oops: