VIBE - N.G.O. in Ubud, Bali

Mainmain

Aug 22, 2006
Adelaide
Hi UluwatuWaves. I was in Ubud for three months at the beginning of the year. During that time I met a few young people who were going through their induction for the NGO Vibe ( basic Bahasa Indonesia aquisition and general orientation before being let loose on the local Balinese ) at a party and later at the Pondok Pekak Library and Learining Centre which is located just down from Tutmak Cafe and looking out over the football field located on Jalan Monkey Forest.

I believe that if you contact the Pondok Pekak, the coordinator of the centre will be able to give you some information on Vibe. My language teacher who taught me Bahasa Indonesia also taught this group at the centre so I am sure someone there would be able to assist you.

Pondok Pekak +62 0361 976194 or email [email protected]

Hope this will be of use to you. Good luck

UluwatuWaves

Jun 30, 2006
Norfolk, VA at the moment
Jimbo, I had posted this post up one week ago and was suprised that no one had heard anything about VIBE in Ubud, including Roy who has lived there for 10 yrs. I thought some of the expats that work in Bali and use this forum would be familiar with this organization since it is involved with education and community life in villages all around the island as well as being based in Ubud. I know there are many NGO's and other organizations on Bali but considering that bali is a small island with centralized areas and many things carry by word of mouth on the island I thought i would get more responses and general interest about an important organization that helps educate the young children of many of Bali's villages.

I have already been accepted into their program for english teachers next year and I am pretty sure we will take the two week Bahasa Indonesia immersion course before the teaching begins. I have been in contact with the coordinators of the program but i also wanted to gain insight into the organization from people who dont work for it, ie. expats and english teachers from the west who live on bali. We will be spending the better part of a year in Bali next year and want to get involved and give back to the communities while living there and this seems like the perfect org. to do that with. The teaching program begins in mid Feb. '07 and runs till the summer time (around june), so around 4 months. Then the second teaching program begins in August '07 and goes till december '07. If anyone is interested in this program feel free to contact me or go to their website at vibefoundation.org

UluwatuWaves

Jun 30, 2006
Norfolk, VA at the moment
Mainmain, thanks for the info. I will check it out. My opinion is that when i travelled to Bali the last time I believe the local communities could get funds together and build better schoools and improve their educational facilities and teaching standards. I mean this isn't some poor African country this is Indonesia, and Bali to be exact. the least the local Govt. can do as make a large investment in their childrens future and Bali's future for that matter and build better schools with computers and everything else that is needed. Who ever is in charge of Bali's educational system needs to get to gripes and not be so stingy with money. Bali makes so much revenue from visitors that they should have plenty of money to build schools for the 21st century. seems like educational quality isn't a top priority amongst the policy makers and government officals of Bali. it is a shame.