Veggie seeds

Shadrach

Hi everyone, I hope your all doing well during these amazing times. I have a question that maybe someone can answer. A few weeks ago I ordered and bought lots of seeds through Tokopedia and with all of your generous help I pulled it off for the first time. Tokopedia did an excellent job of getting me the seeds. I planted them in potting soil I bought and watered them sufficiently. After ten days nothing came up. I looked below the surface and there was no growth. I replanted them all on the 18th. And will wait and see. I am just wondering when the shipment comes from Java by courier service, does the customs x-ray everything. If so maybe they zapped them and sterilized them with too much juice. If anyone has any knowledge or experience with this please let me know how it turned out for you. I hoped you had better luck than me. Happy gardening! Dennis

Interesting I have had much the opposite experience, quite surprised how much comes up no germination no anything really, just buy some soil, stick it in a pot, dip my pinky up to the far end of the my nail.

When they are small, water them with a spray bottle and keep them out of the rain as it can wash them away.

More info might help us to help you Dennis, what are you trying to grow? Are you germinating the seeds? Are they in pots or directly the garden?

Interesting I have had much the opposite experience, quite surprised how much comes up no germination no anything really, just buy some soil, stick it in a pot, dip my pinky up to the far end of the my nail.

When they are small, water them with a spray bottle and keep them out of the rain as it can wash them away.

More info might help us to help you Dennis, what are you trying to grow? Are you germinating the seeds? Are they in pots or directly the garden?e
Hello I am planting directly in small poly bags, they big enough for awhile. I am trying many different peppers, greens, and eggplant, tomatoes, flowers, spices, broccoli, and more. I am slowing down on watering and too much sun. All I can do now is wait. What about them getting x-ray on the way over from Java? I am glad you had good luck. Thanks

OK after years of trying to grow stuff here my tuppence worth: forget it!

Most of the veg you are trying to grow only comes from Bedugul (up a fecking mountain) meaning here below 1000m it just won't go. That is unless you are in Bedugul.

I live next to a rice field and have watched over the years the locals attempt to grow a variety of different things - with very mixed success and that's using all the chemicals we all hate. Stick to rice.

My first year of growing stuff worked out fine. Stuff came up and worked reasonably, apart from some really weird looking root veg that got attacked by some parasites. Driven by my apparent success the next season I tried again.

It was if the bugs from the previous season told all their friends to come to the party and they fucking ate it all.

I could have deluged the lot in gallons of insecticides and poisons but that wasn't part of my plan so I just chucked it in and went to the local market and bought my seasonal veg there - tomatoes for 3k/kilo, cuckes 6k/kilo, tates 13/kilo, etc, etc. and then wash them really well at home.

Even if you have staff that will do all the heavy lifting it's just not worth the effort with the low price in the markets IMHO

I don't know about x-rays, that is why I didn't answer the first time, all my seeds came from other islands, but often by truck not plane. Not really that convinced the x-ray would do anything to it, or that domestic mail is even xrayed.

I am growing many similar plants to you, the majority LOVE the sun and seeds hatch much faster in the sun. There is only one exception to that rule in all my plants. In fact, I purposely move the pots around a few times a day to get them in the sunlight.

I have used those little plastic packets you speak of, I find small pots much better even if you do get the seeds to sprout in the small plastic packs it's not long until they need to be moved.

Happy growing!

Re Mark it - for the amount of caterpillars and massive snails I've seen, haven't had a problem yet knock on wood, certainly not about saving money more of a hobby. But then I'm in the concrete jungle compared to where you reside.

I don't know about x-rays, that is why I didn't answer the first time, all my seeds came from other islands, but often by truck not plane. Not really that convinced the x-ray would do anything to it, or that domestic mail is even xrayed.

I am growing many similar plants to you, the majority LOVE the sun and seeds hatch much faster in the sun. There is only one exception to that rule in all my plants. In fact, I purposely move the pots around a few times a day to get them in the sunlight.

I have used those little plastic packets you speak of, I find small pots much better even if you do get the seeds to sprout in the small plastic packs it's not long until they need to be moved.

Happy growing!

Re Mark it - for the amount of caterpillars and massive snails I've seen, haven't had a problem yet knock on wood, certainly not about saving money more of a hobby. But then I'm in the concrete jungle compared to where you reside.
Thanks for responding. I have them in the sun, and am slowing down on the watering. I was really excited to try some varieties like habaneros, jalapeños, red paprika’s, kales, spices, fat tomatoes, on and on. I like it. It gives me much enjoyment to do it and see how it goes. I give a lot of baby plants away to try and get the locals to give it a go. I want them to learn we can have organic, healthy food without having to have money.There is way too much processed food in Bali. understand it grows better in the mountains but let’s at least give it a try everywhere. Good luck to all. Peace, Dennis

Hi Everyone, I want to talk about planting seeds again. I ordered many seeds from Java and planted them in potting soil I bought in Klung Kung. Only a couple are trying come up. I am wondering if the soil I bought has an imbalance. It says the PH is 8 I am wondering if this is too high. I don’t know how to lower it. If anyone has a suggestion of what is available in Bali, please let me know. Also I have been ordering a few more thing from Tokopedia and I can’t get to look at them in English. There was a button at the top before but hit a button that makes everything only in Bahasa Indonesian now. I have been trying to correct this but to no avail. If one of you computer people knows how I can fix this, please let me know. Sorry I am more of a gardener than a computer person, but I am trying. Thanks, Dennis

Usually you can right click on a page with Tokopedia and most Bahasa Indonesia sites and you will get a small box of options including Translate to English. If you haven't already, try that.

Usually you can right click on a page with Tokopedia and most Bahasa Indonesia sites and you will get a small box of options including Translate to English. If you haven't already, try that.
Thanks Harryopal, I have an IPad and no right click. I will once again look at the page and see if I can figure it out. Man some people can get pretty rude with their comments. They must be having a rotten day.

It just occurred to me that maybe you are having problems with salt air? Realizing your location at Padangbai thought it could be a problem depending upon how close you are to the ocean.
My location in West Bali makes it difficult to grow any number of plants, and found it necessary to only locate garden varieties behind my house and a barricade of trees. Salt air can be a killer..

It just occurred to me that maybe you are having problems with salt air? Realizing your location at Padangbai thought it could be a problem depending upon how close you are to the ocean.
My location in West Bali makes it difficult to grow any number of plants, and found it necessary to only locate garden varieties behind my house and a barricade of trees. Salt air can be a killer..
Maybe your right, I am in a location facing away from the sea. I am going back to local soil and cow manure. I still think something is not right with the pupuk I bought. I really don’t know and cannot test it. I just got some bio fertilizer in a liquid form. It is supposed to add good bacteria to the soil. Only time will tell. Thanks for responding in a positive way. Dennis

Well down here in Sanur since the gods switched it up to hot season a lot less grows and much died, but the tomatoes are hanging in there. With all the massive snails and caterpillars I see in the garden surprised not much more drama there.

Dennis, tokopedia's english site really isn't much better, as the majority of it stays in Indonesian. The trick is this, open google translate in your web browser, copy and paste the main body of the text from indonesian to english and bob's your uncle.

Last edited:
Well down here in Sanur since the gods switched it up to hot season a lot less grows and much died, but the tomatoes are hanging in there. With all the massive snails and caterpillars I see in the garden surprised not much more drama there.

Dennis, tokopedia's english site really isn't much better, as the majority of it stays in Indonesian. The trick is this, open google translate in your web browser, copy and paste the main body of the text from indonesian to english and bob's your uncle.
Thanks, I pasted it to google translate and that worked. What I pasted didn’t help me at all. They really need to provide an option in English for those of us that don’t speak or read fluent Indonesian.It’s a good idea for business. Oh well wishful thinking. I forgot trying to be practical here in not in the language. Ha Ha

Well Dennis, that's the solution to many things online copy + paste to Google translate. The longer you spend here you start to pick up the language. But I'm happy to hear it worked for you.

Back