Trust and Betrayal

Sanur

Oct 2, 2005
Tokyo
RE: Lost my House to a Balinese in Ubud

$50.000 deposit for marrying an Indonesian woman. The oddest story I have ever heard. I wonder why that article was not listed in the Yahoo! Odd News section. Hopefully foreign men will finally receive a decent Visa after having "invested" in Indonesia.

To come back to the topic trust and betrayal:

I met my current balinese girlfirend 7 years ago through a good friend of mine who was studying at the Udayana university. I knew my friend long time before and everytime I came to Bali we had lots of fun. But, when I started dating my girlfriend, he came up and asked for goods and money, because he says he had introduced her to me ...

Years after that I decided to move to Bali and looked for a house. Another friend of mine said he would help me find a house. Later I talked to the real estate directly and found out, that I had actually paid 2 times the price of the actual rent and half of my money was gone. I have never seen my "friend" since then ...

But the bad guys are not always only local people.

A japanese friend took japanese tourists diving. He cashed in about 75% of the diving fee. He became a real competitor to the "gigolos" on kuta beach ...

A bule man borrowed 10 million from his Kos owner. He said he needs money to go back to his country, and would come back shortly bringing "new" money. He never even went back, instead police had received complaints that the man had borrowed money from several locals. I sighted that foreigner several times in Bali after that, so I guess he is still doing the same thing.

2 bules making false orders at artshops and receiving comission fees.

A bule drug addict beating up his indonesian grilfriend.

Drunken bules literally throwing around with loads of seratusan (Rp. 100) in Jl. Legian.

Definitely there are many strange people in Bali, but fortunately there are also a lot of nice people.

Learning the language alone was never enough for me to build up a good relationship, but after becoming part of the local people, I was finally able to meet also "Non-Bule orientated people".

cheers

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
So, are you still in Bali, writing from Tokyo or what? And to be a little more blunt, (it’s my nature), what are you getting at?

Are you philosophizing on the nature of man…the good and bad in each of us?

Sorry, but as good as I am reading between the lines, I don’t comprehend the lines you wrote at all. Anyway, welcome to the forum, and I guess maybe too, welcome to Bali.

Sanur

Oct 2, 2005
Tokyo
Re: RE: Trust and Betrayal

Hello Roy,

I am writing from Tokyo - I used to live in Bali. This post was a reply to the topic "RE: Lost my House to a Balinese in Ubud" as you can see in the subject line. I was following the discussion in the original thread and felt like posting, coz you hear stories like that all the time. I don't know why it ended up becoming a new topic. Anyway, thanks for welcoming me and I am not a philosopher ;-)

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Ah, that explains it! The "forum gecko" gets out of hand once in a while when a string gets too long. It did seem odd, just "dangling" there by itself.

Yes, this nasty business does happen all too often, and you are also right that the Balinese don't have a monopoly on this BS either.