Translating

harryopal

I have been using google translate for English translation of Indonesian. It is not so hot on idiomatic translations. However, using Bard AI it does offer a much better translation experience and is good on idiomatic useage. You don't need to type in "Translate Indonesian to English " and then the word or expression. Just type any Indonesian word or expression and you get an instant translation. It is not yet able to cover the range of Indonesian abbreviations and Bard suggests google translate for scientific or technical translations.

To translate from English to Indonesian you type the word or expression with a colon. " Forever: "

I thought I would see how it would go with Strine (Australian) and typed, "Stone the crows:" It came through with flying colours which saves me from loading two sites, Google translate Indonesian to English and Google translate English to Indonesian. Below the Bard translation of the Stone the crows.

"Stone the crows" is an Australian and New Zealand colloquialism that is used to express surprise, disbelief, or annoyance. It is thought to have originated in the early 1900s, when crows were a common pest in farming communities. Farmers would often stone crows to protect their crops, and the phrase "stone the crows" came to be used as a way of expressing how surprised or annoyed they were when something unexpected happened.

The phrase is still commonly used in Australia and New Zealand today, and it is often used in a humorous or ironic way. For example, someone might say "Stone the crows, I've won the lottery!" to express their surprise and delight at winning a large sum of money.

Here are some other examples of how the phrase "stone the crows" can be used:

• "Stone the crows, I can't believe he just said that!"
  • "I'm so hungry, I could stone the crows."
  • "That's a bit rich, coming from you." - "Stone the crows, you're telling me!"
The phrase "stone the crows" is a fun and colorful way to express surprise, disbelief, or annoyance. It is a uniquely Australian and New Zealand expression that is sure to add a bit of color to your speech.
1686460312360.png

Hell, ain't easy to learn Australian... Probably why I don't bother to try to understand 90% of them !
I'll stick to proper English.

For my basic needs in Indo language, Google translate is doing ok since 5 years.
It's not like it is a really poetic, grammary complicated or philosophical language ....

Hmm. After the initial successful test, "To translate from English to Indonesian you type the word or expression with a colon. " Forever: " "
Thereafter that would not work. Then had to type, for example, "English/Indo Thin:" And then got Indonesian translation. Bard is still in learning mode. However, typing just an Indonesia term on its own is working.

Tried a bit of German and Swahili which was unsuccessful. Tried German/English and Swahili/English before the words and that didn't work either.
"I am still working to learn more languages, so I can't do that just yet. Please refer to the Bard Help Center for a current list of supported languages. Is there anything else you'd like my help with?"

Ahh well, no one's perfect.

Try this site for translating. It's more accurate than Google, easy to use and can translate plain text and document files (PDF, Word, PowerPoint).
Thank you. So much to learn and so little time. We need ten lifetimes. Adding to the confusion is the ever changing nature of everything. You just get used t a system and some bright spark comes up with an idea to "improve" things just as I was getting a handle on the format. I first began using early word processers in 70s and first computer with word perfect 5 in about 1988. Had a website for selling my hand made opal jewellery around 2000. If you searched for opals my web site was one of about less than 10. That soon changed and I now seem to be in a deeper and deeper hole when it comes to really understanding contemporary systems. If there is an after life I wonder if they offer computer courses.
1686483691200.png

I have been using google translate for English translation of Indonesian. It is not so hot on idiomatic translations. However, using Bard AI it does offer a much better translation experience and is good on idiomatic useage. You don't need to type in "Translate Indonesian to English " and then the word or expression. Just type any Indonesian word or expression and you get an instant translation. It is not yet able to cover the range of Indonesian abbreviations and Bard suggests google translate for scientific or technical translations.

To translate from English to Indonesian you type the word or expression with a colon. " Forever: "

I thought I would see how it would go with Strine (Australian) and typed, "Stone the crows:" It came through with flying colours which saves me from loading two sites, Google translate Indonesian to English and Google translate English to Indonesian. Below the Bard translation of the Stone the crows.

"Stone the crows" is an Australian and New Zealand colloquialism that is used to express surprise, disbelief, or annoyance. It is thought to have originated in the early 1900s, when crows were a common pest in farming communities. Farmers would often stone crows to protect their crops, and the phrase "stone the crows" came to be used as a way of expressing how surprised or annoyed they were when something unexpected happened.

The phrase is still commonly used in Australia and New Zealand today, and it is often used in a humorous or ironic way. For example, someone might say "Stone the crows, I've won the lottery!" to express their surprise and delight at winning a large sum of money.

Here are some other examples of how the phrase "stone the crows" can be used:

• "Stone the crows, I can't believe he just said that!"
  • "I'm so hungry, I could stone the crows."
  • "That's a bit rich, coming from you." - "Stone the crows, you're telling me!"
The phrase "stone the crows" is a fun and colorful way to express surprise, disbelief, or annoyance. It is a uniquely Australian and New Zealand expression that is sure to add a bit of color to your speech.
View attachment 3725
1686621790111.png

Yes, unfortunately this comes up with any word that has a prefix and it has problems with sentences. However, one useful feature is that with each word translated it gives sentence examples of useage and explains the variety of ways the word might be used. Oddly enough the above response will come up with a word with a prefix but then if you type in the root word without the prefix it will translate and often give sentence examples using the prefix. Hopefully Bard will "learn" quickly.

The artificial intelligence web site BARD has just updated itself and now I find it rather useless for translation purposes. Previously, while one often got a message indicating that it could not offer a translation for various Indonesian words, when a word was translated it did offer several sentence examples in Indonesian so I persevered. With the update, now entering an Indonesian word just brings an explanation in Indonesian. Of course you can't hurt the feelings of a Bot but I did tell it was a waste of space. Still find it helpful for specific information such as "What is a C317 visa?" but giving up on Indonesian translation and just back to google which doesn't give sentence examples.
1689312885447.png

Last edited:
Good translation apps are always just around the corner kinda like Fusion energy. On my new android phone there's a nifty sidebar translator that allows me to do a page at a touch.

Back