For the first time, I recently recieved a two page letter from the Banjar/Desa Kuta. The letter directs staff not to play music (irrespective of level) at the shop, directing dress mode for the period 2-6 march to be balinese (staff are not balinese). I surely can understand the requirements on the 5 of March; however, not the preceding 3 days.

Add to this someone with a salary higher than mine has decided that cable tv is also switched off from 0600 hours saturday until sunday 0600 hours. Subsequently, numerous bookings have been cancelled even by those who use to cherish staying in hotels during nyepi.

I did query one of the Desa members that sure a collection was organised for monies from shops for nyepi; however no mention of the rules re music 3 days prior to the date or dress code impositions.

In any case, rather disapointing approach to tourism and with only 1 days notice and 5 days after collecting desa donations for this holy day.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Not quite sure I understand your post there springer.

If you are saying that the trend is towards respecting Nyepi and that all businesses are being pressed to dress Balinese, even if the workers aren't, and play Balinese music even if they don't like it and that cable TV is going to be turned off for a whole 24 hours then I can only say one thing.

HURRAH!!!!

And if you are saying that bookings for hotels in Kuta are going backwards and that Desa donations are collected from the Kuta crowd in advance then I can only say one thing.

HURRAH!!!

Of course if you are saying something else entirely then I'll have another whiskey.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I admire the Balinese for placing their beliefs and culture over getting a few extra tourists in. I have read posts on travel forums and many people enjoy staying during Nyepi. There are stories of tourists experiencing Nyepi and then trying to introduce something similar in their own countries.

Not quite sure I understand your post there springer.

If you are saying that the trend is towards respecting Nyepi and that all businesses are being pressed to dress Balinese, even if the workers aren't, and play Balinese music even if they don't like it and that cable TV is going to be turned off for a whole 24 hours then I can only say one thing.

HURRAH!!!!

And if you are saying that bookings for hotels in Kuta are going backwards and that Desa donations are collected from the Kuta crowd in advance then I can only say one thing.

HURRAH!!!

Of course if you are saying something else entirely then I'll have another whiskey.

I gather from your post you are already a few whiskeys deep:icon_evil:

From an employer perspective, i would envisage the notion of 'asking for donations' two weeks before the event to include provision 'any new regulations' that affect business and not wait until the last few days to inform. Off course posts of 'we admire the culture over tourists' does not really wear well when five individuals turn up demanding money without official receipts. Basically, i am stating they cannot have it both ways and the constant passing of 'additional' costs onto the tourists is simply not fair.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
I admire the Balinese for placing their beliefs and culture over getting a few extra tourists in.
I must have missed something here - when did the Balinese start doing that, exactly?

Whilst Nyepi is important for traditional Balinese in the context of their religion (fooling evil spirits into thinking the island is suddenly uninhabited so they'll bugger off), what actually happens during this day doesn't make a lot of sense.

1. The airport is closed.
2. Hospitals are still "open" (if you can get to them).
3. Electricity is still available.
4. You can still use your handphone/telephone ("silently").
5. Big hotels/resorts offer "Nyepi Packages". Huh? Stay within their grounds and you can even enjoy live music...
6. Village "security" guys walk around to ensure nobody's breaking the "silence rule". (Evil spirits can't see them, I suppose.)

Do modern Balinese really believe Bali is the centre of the universe, or just the spiritual one?

How many of us here, locals and expats alike, will turn off their refirgerators for 24 hours? Not hide in the dark and play with their laptops? Will the big supermarkets turn off their refrigeration in their deli sections and let the food rot? All TV/radio broadcasts to Bali will be banned? Bullshit.

Modern Nyepi is somewhat of an anachronism. Quaint, interesting to observe/experience as an outsider, full of logical flaws, and so be it.

Imagine having a heart attack or other major medical emergency on that day. Your emergency evacuation flight can't land or take off?
I have read posts on travel forums and many people enjoy staying during Nyepi. There are stories of tourists experiencing Nyepi and then trying to introduce something similar in their own countries.
Wow - That's great! How about an international Nyepi-styled year? Everybody turns off everything for 12 months. Wouldn't that be something?

One last thing. It seems to me that "evil" is increasing here rather than the opposite. Something's definitely not working....

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Hi Jimbo
and selemat hari raya Nyepi
Ha Phil. You will never change
Who is "Phil"? Unless you're referring to my crazy trouble-making twin brother. I say this in our own mutual self defence (my twin and me).

Nevertheless, we can't fool all the people all of the time.

It's been raining hard where I am and I'm trying to type as softly as possible (because of Nyepi).

How are you changing these days, juggling between Al Khobar and Manchester? What's happened?

:icon_biggrin:

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Hi Johnny Cool

My notice goes in at the end of March and then I will have to wait up to 3 months to serve it. Thats me then done and dusted with work and will follow my plans. First I will renovate my house in Manchester after which a short holiday on the canals of Holland before heading to Makassar to renovate the inside of my house there.

I will be staying on my first sosial buday visa whilst I start to look for my next project. This will hopefully be on the north of the island but matbe in the mountains of Toraja. It all depends on the ease of doing business. The start of 2012 will see me heading back to UK for a few months and then back to Indonesia to start the retirement visa process.

All the best laid plans of mice and men :icon_razz:

sawbones

Nov 1, 2009
I must have missed something here - when did the Balinese start doing that, exactly?

Whilst Nyepi is important for traditional Balinese in the context of their religion (fooling evil spirits into thinking the island is suddenly uninhabited so they'll bugger off), what actually happens during this day doesn't make a lot of sense.

1. The airport is closed.
2. Hospitals are still "open" (if you can get to them).
3. Electricity is still available.
4. You can still use your handphone/telephone ("silently").
5. Big hotels/resorts offer "Nyepi Packages". Huh? Stay within their grounds and you can even enjoy live music...
6. Village "security" guys walk around to ensure nobody's breaking the "silence rule". (Evil spirits can't see them, I suppose.)

Do modern Balinese really believe Bali is the centre of the universe, or just the spiritual one?

How many of us here, locals and expats alike, will turn off their refirgerators for 24 hours? Not hide in the dark and play with their laptops? Will the big supermarkets turn off their refrigeration in their deli sections and let the food rot? All TV/radio broadcasts to Bali will be banned? Bullshit.

Modern Nyepi is somewhat of an anachronism. Quaint, interesting to observe/experience as an outsider, full of logical flaws, and so be it.

Imagine having a heart attack or other major medical emergency on that day. Your emergency evacuation flight can't land or take off?
Wow - That's great! How about an international Nyepi-styled year? Everybody turns off everything for 12 months. Wouldn't that be something?

One last thing. It seems to me that "evil" is increasing here rather than the opposite. Something's definitely not working....

Bravo Johnny, well written!
Freedom to worship god or gods in this case, should be universal. One thing you should never do is force feed it to the unwilling. By the same token all you expats, this is not your country and if you don't like being placed under "house arrest" for 24hrs, bail out and stay out until the day after or later. Indonesia is a big place and yearly house arrest isn't mandatory anywhere else in these islands.