THIS Is NOT GOOD!

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
I just received this warden message, and as usual, I am posting it on the forum. This is a particularly disturbing, if not down right frightening update from the US Embassy in Jakarta:

Wardens: please distribute to the Americans in your organization. Thank you.

U.S. Embassy Jakarta

U.S. Consulate General Surabaya

Warden Message

November 18, 2005

The U.S. Embassy reminds Americans in Indonesia of the continued serious security threat to Americans and other westerners in Indonesia. The information obtained in the November 9 raid in which Indonesian police killed Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) terrorist Azahari Bin Husin shows that JI-affiliated terrorists were in the advanced stages of planning additional attacks against westerners in Indonesia. Specifically, the police discovered in the raid 35 bombs prepared and ready to use in attacks. Police also found a videotaped threat from a hooded terrorist who threatened specific attacks against Americans, Australians, British and Italians. The Embassy and the Indonesian Government take these threats very seriously.

The Embassy further informs Americans that a recently discovered internet website provides detailed instructions on how terrorists can attack and kill individual westerners on the streets of Jakarta. The website, written in Indonesian, specifically mentions two locations known to be frequented by many western pedestrians, namely the area between the JW Marriott Hotel and Ambassador Mall, and the pedestrian overpass on Jl. Rasuna Said near the Australian Embassy and Setiabudi shopping complex. The website mentions specifically the Senayan golf driving range, the zoo, Taman Safari animal park, Ancol beach, Planet Hollywood, and the Jakarta Convention Center, and refers in general to hotels, sports centers and exhibition halls.

The bombs and other materials in the Azahari safe house and the information on the website make it clear that terrorists in Indonesia are likely changing their tactics to include targeting of individual western citizens. In addition to past information which indicated that terrorists would target specific businesses or buildings, the new information shows that terrorists are likely now planning to attack westerners riding in cars or walking on streets, sidewalks or pedestrian overpasses in Jakarta. The Embassy considers that the information on the website was developed by persons with serious terrorist intent.

The Embassy urges Americans in Indonesia to evaluate very carefully the security implications of all their daily activities in light of the above information. Americans should observe vigilant personal security precautions at all times, be aware of their surroundings, and vary the routes and times of their daily activities. Attacks could occur at any time and in any location, including but not limited to places where Americans and other westerners live, congregate, shop or visit, including hotels, clubs, restaurants, shopping centers, identifiably western businesses, housing compounds, transportation systems and roads, places of worship, schools, sports facilities, or recreation facilities or events. Roads leading to and from such locations, toll booths, and parking lot entrances and exits could also be targeted.

The Embassy reminds Americans that in recent years terrorist attacks have occurred in Indonesia during the Christmas and New Year’s holiday season. The possibility of terrorist attacks appears even higher this year in view of the new threat information detailed above.

The Embassy strongly encourages Americans in Indonesia, including short-term visitors, to register with the Embassy in Jakarta, the Consulate General in Surabaya, or the Consular Agent in Bali. Registration may be done on-line at http://jakarta.usembassy.gov/consular/onlinereg.html or by telephone to the numbers below.

Information on registration procedures, all security-related Travel Warnings and Public Announcements, and recent Embassy warden messages are posted on the Embassy’s website at http://jakarta.usembassy.gov.

The Embassy is located at Jalan Medan Merdeka Selatan, No. 4-5, Jakarta; the 24-hour telephone number is 021-3435-9000. The telephone number of the Consulate General in Surabaya is 031-295-6400; the telephone number of the U.S. Consular Agency in Bali is 0361-233-605.

MUDCRAB

Aug 24, 2005
Stralia
Looks like Tagaytay in the Philippines is looking better by the minute...bummer.

But you don't have to worry Roy, as I spent a sum of money on a new car (or is that Ve'HIC'le) and am looking to travle to PI to sort something out for later in life.
But then again, we might just stay in merry old OZ...(as ya do) :lol:

Sergio

Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
WOW is right!!!

Please don't go to Christmas mass people... I remember very clearly 4 Churches were bombed when I was there and that was before the invation of Afghanistan and Iraq!

Tell me Bush, are things better or worse because of your tactics?

These guys are on the run after Dr. Azahari was killed and lots of his followers were caught. I'll bet you as many beers you want Roy that there won't be any major terrorist attack in Indonesia targeting westerners for a year and I actually don't think there will be any more for many a year to come. These guys are headless without their leader and the other Muridin Top I think his name is running like hell at the moment and hopefully they will get him soon, so relax you guys, settle back and have a lovely Xmas and New Year in the knowledge that these terrorists are at least loosing the war in Indo.

Michelangelo

Nov 13, 2005
Sydney
In January 2003, 3 months after the the 2002 bombing, I visited Bali and found it to be depressingly empty of tourists. I can remember walking down Jalan 66 and not seeing a tourist for miles...every hotel we stayed at was empty...the beaches were empty and even Ku de ta and La Luccioloa were pretty much deserted.

May I ask you therefore whether the tourists have largely kept away to the same degree this time? Does it feel the same in Nov 2005 as it was in Nov 2002?

The contrarian in me says that the more tourists stay away, the safer Bali will be - simply because if the terrorists are looking for a "high-density killing field" (to quote an atrocious phrase), they won't find it in Bali.

I really don't want to come to Bali if the tourists are still going there in appreciable numbers...(and of course you'd be crazy to go to Phuket or Pattaya now as every Aussie and is dog is heading there in preference to Bali - a great oppotunity for the extremists)

So, please, what can you locals tell me about the "density" as of mid November?

Sergio

Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
Hi Richard, I pray you are right but I don't think so... I fear the after Dr. Azahari got killed, his sympathizers will only be enraged and looking for revenge. It does not take a master mind to set off a bomb or target individuals, any numbskull can do that... I don't believe for a minute that this Xmass will be safe! xMass in Indonesia was NEVER safe even before Dr. Azahari and his gang and even though I don't want to take that bet because I don't want to win like this I can assure you that Churches WILL be targeted this Xmass, AGAIN and as usual in Indonesia... I'll even go as far and say upto 6!

Getting that F*^% Dr. Azahari was the best news I heard in a long time and I was really glad to see it being carried out bu Indonesian authorities as will send a strong message!... Good for you Indonesia! I hope Indonesia keeps after these mentally disfunctional people that go against all that is Godly and good with the same kind of determination but even then this will only effect things in LONG run and this Xmass is far from safe!

:(

Tommy

May 11, 2005
I found the website they were referring to. It is partly written in arab but mostly indonesian. It looks to me as a tactical terrorist-guide explained in indonesian.. they show simple computer-imagery on how to attack parked or moving cars with automatic weapons and how to get a "good" and "safe" angle. The intresting part with the site (it's not yet complete) is that it's registered to a fake US-name in the US and hosted through an Israeli server... obviously to confuse real muslims. My only hope is that the targeted group will see through this.

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
I get bulletins sent to me by DFAT Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in Australia. They are coming pretty regularly lately and are in the same vain as the US one. I got one the day before I left in September 05.

What are we suppose to do? Not go to Bali - I don't think so! Not for me anyway but I respect other peoples concerns.

balijeff

Apr 5, 2005
Kuta Beach
Why aren't we pulilng out?

Cynical answer #1: We havent drained all the oil yet.

Cynical answer #2: Elections arent till next year.

Cynical answer #3: Haliburton won't let us.

Jeffrey

Git

Jul 16, 2005
dutch /indonesian in the usa for now
Hello to all
During both years of horrid bombings including this year (oct2005) i have been in bali,to answer the question regards tourism departing i believe it was worse this time. Giving tourist one scare was bad enough,then a second this october that did it in for the rest that were brave enough to come back. Truly sad for the future of the balinese,as i stayed in the remote village of kaliasem observing the local people a wave of fear came over them,worries of 'how to provide for their family' with no tourism left.These bombings might not affect all parts of bali in a physical way but it does in a emotional/mental/spiritual way. The domino of economic fall will hit all of bali sooner or later. I saw a total of two tourist the end week of october (Lovina/kaliasem area),it was like a ghost town immed. following that bomb. I did not depart because i had agreed to volunteer/help out at the crisis clinic foundation (run by gloria goodwin). I felt save hidden away in kaliasem,i was not near any hotels,bars,nightclubs,low profile hidden amongs the coconut tree's.
But for those 'tourists' that stay in busy area's like kuta,its a bit risky,verry high profile. Yes i would stay away if i took that route ,if i was that type of tourist that needed all the comforts of living in lux,hanging out at bars and spa's.Its too bad because many balinese make a living from these hotels/bars,so it's a catch 22. My solution has always been to keep comming to bali year after year and to lay low,blend in with the locals,give business to the outdoor warungs,markets.Give a local a chance to make money by supporting what ever they may have to offer,as simple as asking for a ride on a motorbike for a few rp. Have a local cook make you food,have a local seamstress make you clothing,etc.
Stay in local village guesthomes. The spreading of economy is on thin ice right now,we must look closer at the simplicity of how to keep it all running.Back to the basics of survival food/shelter/water.
Many balinese dont even have this right now,and its only end november,what will happen in one year? Many of the macu (sorry dont know the spelling) holymen in kaliasem were saying nov. had 2 full moons/2 black moons,that did not sound good by the tone of their voice.
I got word that the first week of nov. 19 people in kaliasem died. Not a promising future.......................................
Gina Tyler

Well luckily Gina you are wrong and the effect of this last bombing is much less than the first. As a business person who realises wholly on his income through running a hotel in Lovina I know what I'm talking about. Firstly comparing the number of cancellations from bookings: the bombs in 2002 I had almost 100% cancellations, this time round only 30%. The other significant factor is people started booking soon after these recent bombs, while after the 2002 bombs we hardly got any booking until the New Year.

balijeff

Apr 5, 2005
Kuta Beach
Richard,

It would be interesting to get more numbers from Lovina businesses. As for Sanur, Legian, Nusa Dua Seminyak area...we have taken a substantial hit in tourists, try a magnitude of 60-70% decline. No, it isnt exact, but that is what other hotels, not all owned by us, are telling us.

This is also true of my other PTs. These too are located in and around DPS. All reporting similar drops.

Have you any sense on what the airlines are telling you? I called them and many have cancelled and consolidated flights to DPS. For instance, I cant find a direct flight from Perth to DPS anymore. They are telling me it is not economical to run flights with 15% capacity (yikes!). I have also asked tourists (Aussie) and they report the same...flights being consolidated and even then not running at 75% capacity.

It would be good to post from other areas as well...sort of a tongue-in-cheek localization map of sales declines.

Jeffrey

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
Just heard on the news tonight that Air Paradise has gone bust. The news said they were carrying 20,000 tourists a month to Bali before the bombing in October but they could not recover after the last bombings. Qantas has offered Aussies stranded in Bali and free flight home but all people who have paid for flights and accomodation have had their holidays cancelled.

As the news said another blow for Bali.