The Sound of Bali

Ringo

When you think of it, how does Bali sound for you?

Crickets, tjitjaks or frogs, the sound of a thousand sepeda motor, no turis, adoeh, Hello! buy sarong I hap menny colór, the waves rolling on the beach, sunset price, good for you, good for mie, Arabic chanting from the tower of a nearby mosk, Oom Swastiejastoe, bankrup, sing kenken, You Rits, t'nas kleng, selamat sore, taxi, transport?, where you prom, what your name, where you stay, Gecko, gecko, gecko (7x), barking dogs in a moonless night, the monotone mantra of a priest in an average sized temple, Ooowwaahhhmmmm Pasupati sastre, the brainwashing melody of a biking icecream seller, the honking of the horn of 95% of the traffic exact at the moment the lights turns green, how much you pay?, the rythmic bump that floats out of the interior of one of the million discobars of Legian, mao massage?, buy watch, real rolex, perry sjeep, the rushing sound of a fast streaming mountain river, the sharp voice of a tree cricket, Njieeeeeeeeet... njieeeeeeeet, the popular "Aku cinta kamu" on a radio that is tuned to Singaraja FM, the wakeup call of crowing cocks, Marie Jewana, magic mushroom, what you looking for, you want nice girl? Or maybe the hectic and dynamic sound of gamelan gong kebyar, the most popular form of gamelan in Bali, a style that has its origins in the northern regions of Bali where it could be hearded for the first time in 1915 in the village of Jagaraga under the smoke of Singaraja?

Warm Greetings from North Bali,
Ringo

quirkyartist

Jun 30, 2006
Sydney Australia
Oh..... all those, but particularly 'transport, transport'.
And degung music - Sabilulungan, everywhere, all the time, and for at least twenty years in my memory alone.

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
I agree but the sounds that make me feel that I have - to me -- Bali. :D

I will have to get out of south Bali and go to the North I think. Then I might have a different view. :?:

G

Falling asleep to the sound of klong tang sapi [cow bells] after surfing all day or the sound of markeydung [balinese singing] in the distance :D

Dyah

Dec 29, 2005
Hamburg, Germany
www.ikat-agentur.com
Yesss! All of them (exceptially degung/just in warung sunda) are for me Sound of Bali... Gamelan, cengceng, ... voice from balinese "Ken ken kabareeee?"
Mornings-sound: Birds, Frog, ...
Alldays-sound: "Transport 2X, massage?, Beli dong, rrrrrrrreng from motorbike
Night-Sound: Frog ... "Ping...ping..." from Food-Delivery

:lol: Dyah

charlie

Aug 9, 2005
unhappily in sydney
The big bamboo wind blowers that make that deep whooor-whooor sound. They used to drive me up the wall but now they put me to sleep and i miss them when they're not there.

bukit

Aug 4, 2006
Australia
Yeah I know the ones charlie !! Where my wifes from they have a tin can attached sometimes "ting ting ting ting".also when its kite season have kites with noise making packing tape bows on the underside.Makes a low whuring sound.I sleep no problem

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
And what about these small windmill-like gismos in the rice fields, that go 'Click-clik-clik" 24 hrs a day? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: I almost started a war in Nyuh Kuning when I sent the pembantu2 take care of some of them.

charlie

Aug 9, 2005
unhappily in sydney
Yeah I know the ones charlie !! Where my wifes from they have a tin can attached sometimes "ting ting ting ting".also when its kite season have kites with noise making packing tape bows on the underside.Makes a low whuring sound.I sleep no problem

That's them!!! Welcome to the forum Bukit!! Glad you found us ...

Gee i miss that sound ....