The next best place?

Margriet

Sep 2, 2004
thanks Cassienne!

where did you get a list of all international schools? I already found many addresses on the internet...but maybe you know another place? and I can apply to plus schools too? that's good news, because that makes my chance of getting a job much bigger!
thanks!

Ziggy

Dec 15, 2004
England
Hi Cassienne
What's the school like that you teach at? When you say it wants to be an international school, whats the difference? How much is it a term and what age groups can go there? Ohh and where abouts on Bali is it?

Cassienne

Aug 28, 2004
New Zealand - Bali soon!
Hi
The school I teach in is okay. I'm kinda tried of it though. The kids are pretty cool - naughty sometimes, but they are very responsive and usually interested in what youre teaching. I don't want to say too much about the school though, people have been fired for less here. If you want, email me and I can tell you everything. The school is in Denpasar. National plus means they're not actually international, like they teach classes in Indonsian, but there's also english classes, and the O level section teaches all classes in English. So it's kinda like two schools in one. Sort of.
I got the list f schools off the internet, but I can't remember where. Did you check out esl job listings? There's two really good sites, Dave's ESL CAfe and http://www.eslteachersboard.com but there's also way more.
Hey, I'm in Lombok right now, and goingt o the Gilis tomorrow, so I might not be able to get back to you for awhile. i dont know what the internet is like there.
Cassienne. Oh, and Merry Christmas everyone!

Margriet

Sep 2, 2004
merry christmas and a happy new year to you too! and to everybody else who reads this of course!!

Iris

Feb 6, 2003
Holland
Hello Margriet,

Just wanted to ask on which websites you found the job postings in Yogya?
I am also Dutch, married to 'orang Sumatra' and we intend to move back coming summer to Indonesia with our two little 'Belindo's.

Did you already discover the http://www.jakarta.guru.com ? You can find more information there on teaching in Indonesia (mostly language schools).

Be a bit careful with just taking on a teaching job without getting yourself well informed. Some schools might want to hire you, but you have to make sure they don't let you work on a tourist visa. Remember there are loads of young people out there with the same dream as you!

As to nice places in Indonesia.... just explore, there are 17.000 islands to choose! It all depends on what you are looking for.

Good luck,
Iris

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
Hi Bert,

I'm in the office for the first time in a week as I'm on vacation for the month and we finally moved to our new house in the village of Sekongkang (there are previous photos of the village in the photo section for those who are newcomers to the forum). More about the move and the house in a few days on the Sumbawa section of this forum.

Transport to Sumbawa can be a bit of a pain. You can fly in to Bima (the other side of the island) or Sumbawa Besar (the capital of this side of the island) but it's a four hour drive from Sumbawa Besar to here. A hotel owner (she and her husband also own a hotel and pool business in Bali) built a small airport which was flying out to Bali daily, but she shut it down after a few months. We keep hoping that it will open again, but it's not likely. (I hear she is looking for a partner or government help.) The way that I take is by ferry to Lombok, then drive across the island to the eastern port and take the ferry there to Sumbawa. From the port there it's a two hour drive down to the Yoyo Beach area. It's not too difficult, just takes some time. A lot of surfing fanatics do it with their board strapped to their motorbike.

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
Ziggy,

I teach at the only "international" school, and that is a private one for the children of the staff of the Newmont mine. But, I should add, my own children go to the local school (I was not hired on family status so my children don't qualify to attend the international school), and I am quite happy with the education that they are receiving. I think that I have written about that somewhere else here, but if not, briefly I feel that children need to be able to read and write, do enough math to survive at least (this from a math teacher), and develop some understanding of the world around them. There are other things (arts, languages, technology) which children should have access to, but which they can survive without if they get access to it from somewhere else. My children are fortunate enough (or unfortunate enough as my teenage daughter likes to tease) to have a father who teaches math, technology and social studies and also has a Ph.D. in anthropology so they get the extras from me; their mother teaches them about making their own clothes, cooking excellent things (she has owned a bakery in the past and is planning on starting one here), and about religion. So the kids are alright (as one of my favorite bands once said). As Roy notes, we do the best we can for our kids and that means educating in what we see as the best possible way even if it goes against the grain.

Salam,

Bruce

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
Feelhip,

My sumbawa.org website is down for the moment due to mysterious circumstances (meaning I have no idea why and apparently neither does my host server), but you can find some information about Sumbawa on my cyberbali.com website.

Salam,

Bruce

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
Margriet,

If you go to cyberbali.com and click on the employment link, you'll find a number of international schools arranged by country with a description of what each school has to offer. Good luck with finding a job.

Regards,

Bruce

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
Roy,

Excellent post which I'd like to reply to but I have to run over to the clinic for a shot and then to the commissary for some juice for the kids and then back to the house to keep working on cleaning it up. I'll post a reply in a few days when I get back to the office.

Cheers,

Bruce

Margriet

Sep 2, 2004
hello Iris,
No, I don't know a site with a list of schools in Yokja, but it's just when I look at some sites with jobs I always see jobs in Java, not in Bali....sorry.

Thanks Dr Bruce, I will check it out later this week!!