The Casual Swim...

dawnofjedi

Mar 8, 2004
Ubud / New York
Hello all,

Just wondering about something...I really enjoy swimming in rivers, lakes, waterfalls and such places...I know Bali and Indonesia possess these attributes in great abundance...but are they swimmable? What kind of things are living in those tropical waters? Snakes, leeches, parasites? Do any of you go swimming freely in the natural waters of Indonesia, or do you take caution and avoid such immersions and places? It would be a real shame if those natural beauty areas were off limit to rational humans...

Shakar

OM SHANTI

harimau

Aug 31, 2004
Be careful around Singaraja area because I like to bathe in the afternoon to cool off or mandi with the spring water hosepipe but it is a very secluded area but there are still many villagers bathing nearby.

Irislahay

Apr 10, 2004
France, Bali now
Ha ha ha, must be very funny!! I tried before, only one time 'cause the people stopped to do that. We didn't see any people around, but one cow took shower in the same time of us, and all of the dirty water came to us!!!

harimau

Aug 31, 2004
I had the same problem but in the sea. I had been swimming there every day for a week, only to find out it's a favourite cooling off point for the local villagers cow. I haven't swam there since.

Irislahay

Apr 10, 2004
France, Bali now
Well Stu & Ayu..,

I think we make Dawnofjedi scare! Aniway, please don't be scare dawnofjedi... just don't swim near of very green place, and don't swim in the raining season. Sometimes you can't see the big water comes!! Have a nice adventure...

dawnofjedi

Mar 8, 2004
Ubud / New York
Iris and Harimau,

Thanks for your advice! You can be sure I will be watching out for those snakes, and the rather unpleasant 'offerings' floating down from upstream...kind of dissapointing though, because when I see a waterfall I just want to jump in! I suppose somethings are better just to marvel at rather than fully experience. Well, I guess I am going to have to arrange a flight to New Zealand and get it out of my system there! That sounds like a good adventure too...

Just one more question...how about the public pools (i.e. bukit jati)? Do they keep those clean and sterile? Thanks...sorry to ask all these questions...I just want to swim in some fresh water while I am living there...

harimau

Aug 31, 2004
I wouldn't be put off swimming in rivers and streams, just do it upstream from peoples homes. You could go swimming in the lakes (ie, Lake Bratan or Palasari Dam)
Link : http://www.indo.com/active/lakes.html
or
Waterbom park in Kuta is a good day out and the pools are clean and chlorinated.
PS. Don't go swimming in rivers at night because there are shrimp, crabs, snakes, spiders and grubs. Not to mention the things you can't see.

Irislahay

Apr 10, 2004
France, Bali now
Yes, you are true Petenjo...,

Many leeches in the mountain, especially in the raining season. If the leeches stay on your legs, you just have to mix betle leaves with the water. If you can't find betle leaves, you can take tobacco (from the cigarettes, if you smoke) and mix with water, then you put on. The leeches will fall down very quickly...

Cassienne

Aug 28, 2004
New Zealand - Bali soon!
I have been swimming in almost every piece of water I've been to, and I've had no problems so far. So if you don't mind thinking what *could* be in the water, you should be fine. Oh, and the rain storms....excellent for swimming in. I'm not kidding, it's like swimming on the ground. We had an excellent one the day before yesterday in Denpasar. It was awesome, thunder, lightening, and an amazing downpour. I love it!
Hey, if you're going to New Zealand I can tell you some awesome places you should visit. I'm from Christchurch myself, and I've lived in New Zealand all my life.
love Cass