User638193628291836

Feb 2, 2021
Hi everyone! I am a student from Ireland currently studying to be a teacher. I am hoping to move to Bali when I graduate and teach English there. I’m wondering do you think this is realistic? I’m sure teaching jobs are competitive but I will have a BEd and I also am TEFL certified. I have some experience teaching from pre-service placements and summer jobs too.
Do you think I could find work as a teacher in Bali or is teaching online a better option?
I do also have some tattoos, I’m not sure if that would be frowned upon in Bali for a teacher.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I think you would need experience, not only a requirement for the school but also for your working visa. Also it is a difficult time to travel, so I would suggest getting some experience at home and basically you can then work anywhere in the world.

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
I HIGHLY advise against this. As someone who once flirted with the idea years ago and also know many friends from the UK who actually made the leap to teaching abroad, I haven't heard one success story yet (maybe you'll be the first though?).

If you've just graduated from University and have a year to throw away, then great. Go for it and keep it to a year only. If you're looking for something long term, then you will only wind up at the age of 30 with a giant gap in your resume and no savings to your name.

Believe it or not, teaching English abroad isn't so attractive to potential employers back in your native country (wherever it is). And you won't be making a huge salary teaching English in Bali. If you manage to save any of your income, it won't be much and as someone approaching retirement myself, I urge you the earlier you start putting away LARGE chunks of change, the easier your life will be later.

You're better off taking the money you would spend on a plane ticket here and enroll in an online course to learn some high demand job like Data Analytics, digital marketing, web design or something in that realm.

If you REALLY can't drop the idea of teaching English abroad, then at least consider Vietnam or China before Bali. I've heard the salaries are much better there.

Reactions: SquarePeg

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Hey there OP: IALF Bali is who you may want to contact. The information you’ve been given above is correct and your post reads almost as though you are oblivious to the low salary so do check that out. In any case best of luck, but I also don’t think you’d get far with this method, due to the low pay. I have known teachers in these places, the level of English generally isn’t great either.

Reactions: JackStraw

Metter

Oct 8, 2017
Sanur Kauh
The only other option is online teaching to China is possible from anywhere in the world. It pays better than teaching in Bali but you would not get Kitas sponsorship.

Like everyone else is saying English teaching abroad does not pay well - even in China. It would be better suited to a working holiday lifestyle than a career move.

Reactions: JackStraw

harryopal

May 5, 2016
Not the best time to be negotiating a wage for teaching. A sister in law who is an administrator with a private school was reduced to 2 days a week last year and just 25% salary. The school is now open full time but just 50% wage as enrolments are about one third of usual number.