Taxi Fares & Travel Around Bali

Miss Sixty

Aug 25, 2006
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I was thinking about the following itinerary, if you could let me know if it's the "right way round" please. Don't really want to back track much and spend as little time as possible travelling between destinations. We travel on 9th Septemberm, so will be looking to book accommodation in next couple of days.

4 Nights Sanur
2 Nights Lombok
2 Nights Candi Dasa / Amed
1 Night Ubud
5 Nights Sanur

Thanks for the info that there are plenty of agents in Sanur, who will be able to book the flights for us. Any idea where these are situated please? We plan to stay at the south end of Sanur.

We already have flights booked with Singapore, but arrive and depart from Denpasar, so Lombok on the way home is no longer feasible, but a great idea.

Many Thanks
Miss Sixty

London

Aug 28, 2006
Yes
9 nights in Sanur!!!!

Arent you restricting yourself by booking your accomodation in advance. What if you fall in love with Lombok, but have to leave after 2 days because of bookings?

Personally I would book the first couple of nights and play the rest by ear.

The hotels in Bali arent going to be booked up in September!!

G

Miss Sixty,

Personally, and I believe everybody on this forum will agree, i am of the opinion that NINE nights in Sanur is a total waste, but to each his/her own. It just depends what your interests are. Sanur is no longer a village but a large expense of hotels. Being located in Sanur, it will add 2 - 3 hours in unnecessary driving to any places in Bali you would want to reach. But, obviously you must have a reason for doing so.

Travel agent. From the south end of Sanur, there is a very reliable tour agent close by: Nagasari Tours, 102 Jalan Danu Tamblingan (the street which runs along the coast, with all the hotels). Tel: 288096

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Sorry Bert, Mat, everybody, once more I screwed up, forgetting to sign up, and when I tried to fix it, I made it worse. :oops: :oops:

Miss Sixty

Aug 25, 2006
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Thanks for all your input once again, it's really helpful. All points taken, we do want to relax for a while, but perhaps 9 nights in Sanur is still a bit long.

I will perhaps book the first 4 nights and then play the rest by ear, which gives you a bit more leeway - you never know how long you're going to want to stay in a place until you get there.

Will it be totally fine to book hotels as we go? They aren't likely to be fully booked at this time of year?

Thanks

London

Aug 28, 2006
Yes
If you get yourself a Lonely Planet or Rough Guide, there's hotels in all price ranges, normally with phone numbers if you want to book ahead.

You should have no problem booking rooms as the European holidays end at the end of August, so things are generally quieter.

Have a good trip!

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
I agree with London and Daniel. Nine days in Sanur is way too long, and if it’s relaxing you are looking for, I think both Amed and the Senggigi area of Lombok would be preferable. No matter what you decide though I think we’d all agree you can’t go wrong.

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK
Hi Chad,

Don't be like that. I wouldn't worry about this lot "bashing" people's opinions! At the end of the day, everyone has their own opinions & experiences. Your input I'm sure is very much appreciated.

By the way, Sixty, DON'T get a taxi from the hotel! They charge commissions, so beware! For instance, when staying at Grand Bali Beach, Sanur, we wanted to go to the central shopping area which is only 5 mins away by car. The hotel charged us Rp120.000!!! :shock:

Miss Sixty

Aug 25, 2006
United Kingdom
Hi All

Chad, your comments are very much appreciated, so happy to take it all on board. You obviously have far more experience of Bali than me, so anything is useful!

Irma, I know what you mean about taxis outside hotels, we too have stayed at the Grand Bali Beach and the fares from outside the foyet are extortionate (compared to normal Bali prices of course).

Not long to go now, so really looking forward to making it back over to Bali for some sunshine. August has been a rotten month in the UK weather-wise, even by British summertime standards, lashing rain and high winds, will be glad to get away from it all.

By the way, do the airlines to Lombok fly every day, including Saturdays and Sundays? Don't really want to get there and find that we are unable to travel back over the weekend.

Thanks Everyone

Miss Sixty :0)

Miss Sixty

Aug 25, 2006
United Kingdom
Earlier on the thread tintin mentioned travelling from Lombok to Padang Bai by ferry. Does anyone know roughly how long this takes and what time it leaves Lembar, Lombok? Is there a website with times and how much is the cost? I presume you just pitch up and get on, would cut out a long taxi ride from the airport on the way back.

Thanks Again

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Lembar – Padangbai.
Theoretically, there is a fixed schedule, but due to chronic delays, it is only approximate. However, departures almost every 2hrs (+/-), 24/7. It takes 3 - 4 hrs. Clas Ekonomi, Rp15,000 (as of last year). Buy the tickets only at the official counter (otherwise you’ll pay more).

To get from Senggigi to Lembar, you can negotiate a taxi in Senggigi directly to Lembar, or take a bimo to Sweta bus station in Mataram, and then another bimo, Rp5,000/pers, to Lembar.

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
Just a comment on ferry times, as this is the way that we travel from Sumbawa (via Lombok) to Bali. It's taken us as long as six hours on the ferry. The shortest trip was 4 1/2. This is based on frequent travels over the past three years.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Bruce,

You are certainly correct with much more experience. My own limited experience (in both directions several times) has always been around 4 hrs. I was happily surprised the first time I went to Lombok: we made it in 4 hrs, and I had been quoted 4 - 5 hrs. One of my friends told me he did it, Bali-Lombok, a little bit more than 3 hrs. Maybe he was pulling my leg?

Miss Sixty

Aug 25, 2006
United Kingdom
Sorry to ask again, but do the airlines to Lombok fly every day, including Saturdays and Sundays? Don't really want to get there and find that we are unable to travel back over the weekend.

Will book flights with travel agent in Sanur (mentioned earlier in thread) when we arrive there.

Will there be any problems getting flights at this time of year?

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
This is one of the funniest strings I have ever read on Bert’s travel section of this forum. The responses have been from many who hold the most experience of life, and travel on Bali, yet she still writes with questions.

Can somebody please just offer a good travel agent, so we are finally done with it?

Miss Sixty

Aug 25, 2006
United Kingdom
Hi

Thanks Matsaleh and thanks to all who have contributed with info and tips. I've obviously asked a few too many questions, so will now bow out gracefully and wish you all well.

Best Wishes :0)