Taxi Fares & Travel Around Bali

Miss Sixty

Aug 25, 2006
United Kingdom
We are travelling to Bali in September and wanted to move around a bit. We have 5 days planned in Sanur, then 2 days on Lombok, then 2 days in Candi Dasa, then 5 days back in Sanur.

Can anyone tell me the taxi fares for the following please:

Airport to Sanur
Airport to Candi Dasa
Candi Dasa to Sanur

Alternatively if anyone knows of a cheaper way to get to these places, then I'd be grateful for any suggestions. I understand the taxis outside the airport may be more expensive, so are there any alternatvies?

We are also travelling to Lombok, so would like to know the best way to get there, as I understand the Fast Ferry no longer operates from Benoa Harbour. There is a slower ferry which takes around 6 hours, but we don't really fancy that. Is flying the best way? I've been told you can book tickets at the domestic terminal in Denpasar Airport and that it's about 230,000 rupiah return to Lombok.

If anyone can help me out with these questions, I'd be really grateful. Thanks!

ChadM

Jun 13, 2006
Denver, Colorado USA
You can go to the taxi counter at the airport (right next to international arrivals) and pay a rather ridiculous fare (at least by Bali standards), or walk a short distance towards the "taxi corral" (very hard to miss) and haggle with the locals. From the airport to Sanur, I'd not pay more than 40.000 Rp. It's a short drive (roughly 13-14 km), most of it on the Ngurah Rai Bypass. I paid 50.000 to Batubelig Beach, north of Seminyak (roughly the same distance from the airport as Sanur, but not as easy a drive), and that was only because it was midnight and I was too tired after spending a day in Jogjakarta and flying back to Bali to do any real haggling. :) Bear in mind, naturally, that even if you do NO haggling and take metered cabs everywhere, you'll still only spend about US$10-15 more on your whole trip vs. trying to find those bargain alternatives.

Candi Dasa is, of course, much further away -- 65 to 70km -- and it's not a direct route at all (the road that will be direct is still under construction in the eastern part, I believe). A taxi would be fairly pricey (again, by Bali standards). I would expect something in the 150.000 to 200.000 Rp range. I've never made that trip by taxi, though, so that's just a guess.

Some of the hotels in Candi Dasa operate shuttle buses (not free, but quite cheap) to and from the airport. You might want to ask the hotel where you will stay, if you're indeed staying in a hotel.

As for getting from Candi back to Sanur, I'd recommend at least considering chartering a local driver. Candi can be a bit of a ghost town at times, so I'd advise arranging return transport ahead of time (perhaps even with your outbound taxi driver). Also, it's a nice, easy drive -- one I've made myself from both Sanur and from Ubud (on motorbike, no less) -- so renting a vehicle is certainly a viable option. You can get a Suzuki Katana for 80.000 per day if your negotiating skills are good; a good automatic motorbike for about 30.000.

Sounds like a great trip, and September is a marvelous time to visit Bali. Enjoy. :)

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
Chad - the fixed price from the AP to me north of the Yak is only about 5000 more than the meter fare that drops me off at the AP. Does not seem ridiculous to me.

As for Bali to Lombok, Sixty (and welcome), for me flying is the only way, I don't care how fast a boat is, that is not the stretch of water I would want to cruize through - the boat option is for those who can't pay more - if you want a boat ride, cruize around the gillis. BUT - airfare (which has been 300,000 when I've flown lately) is 1 way. But, hey, that aint bad for a chance to fly in them o'le antique planes :).

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
As for Bali to Lombok, Sixty (and welcome), for me flying is the only way, I don't care how fast a boat is, that is not the stretch of water I would want to cruize through - the boat option is for those who can't pay more - if you want a boat ride, cruize around the gillis.

Amen. I totally agree with that. The Lombok Strait, which is also home to the Wallace Line separating Australia (flora/fauna) from SE Asia is one of the most dangerous stretches of water in Indonesia. Planes from Bali are frequent and cheap.

Miss Sixty

Aug 25, 2006
United Kingdom
Hi

Thank you all so much, that's so helpful and much cheaper than we imagined! This is our 3rd visit to Bali and although we thoroughly loved our first 2 visits, we would like to travel around more on this trip. After the first time, we fell in love with the place and have decided that this is the place for us later in life, when we can afford to retire.

This time is all about discovering more about the people and culture and seeing more of the island.

Just to recap:

The fare to Sanur from airport, should be no more that approx 40,000 Rph, try and find a local driver if possible

Taxi to Candi no more than 200,000 Rph and book your driver to come back for you, as it can be difficult to get a taxi there

Flights to Lombok are best, around 300,000 Rph one way.

Where would you recommend to stay on Lombok, does one place stand out? We don't really have time to go to the Gillis, so mainland is best. We don't mind somewhere quiet to chill out, as long as it has a few restaurants around. Is it easy to get transport from the airport in Lombok and back from the hotel? Also what is the best way to book the flight to Lombok? Should we try and do it as soon as we arrive at the airport at one of the airport offices at the domestic terminal?

Also looking to possibly stay 1 or 2 nights in Ubud, if anyone can recommend a nice hotel, which is centrally based for having a look around.

Thanks for all your help - it's so useful!

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
Six - I'm sure Roy can help you with Ubud - you should not miss it. Also, when in Candi, have someone drive you over the pass to Amed as some of Bali's most stunning padi landscapes are to be seen. You may consider Amed instead of Candi - I prefer it, check it out - anyone here opiioned on that? And as for my opinion on Lombok, I think many of the places are a bit rundown, as tourism has been hurt for a number of reasons and upkeep is evidently a luxury. Beware those internet pics you see are most likely 10 years old. However, I hear the Novotel on the south shore is pretty sweet, starts in the US $60s I think.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
One of our forum members lives in Kuta Lombok, and I would agree with her that it is an awesomely beautiful area. DCC, I think you are correct in that the Novotel is about the only game in town, excepting of course the nice facility this forum member operates down there.

I also agree with DCC in his assessment of Amed in Bali as being preferable over Candidasa.

Miss Sixty, it’s too bad that you have ruled out the Gili islands of Lombok. They are truly wonderful. The most popular area in Lombok is the northwestern coast or Senggigi area. It’s a short drive due north from Mataram where your plane from Bali will arrive. There are many good hotels along this stretch and you won’t need to book in advance.

In Ubud, there are many choices for your stay, all within easy walking distance of its famed restaurants and attractions. A lot of our friends seem to enjoy Ubud Village which is on Jalan Monkey Forest.

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK
You're right Roy, one of our members does have a homestay on Lombok. What's her name? Gemma, that's it! And her place is called Mimpi Manis, isn't it?

Miss Sixty, you could see Gemma's place on her website, but I forgot what the address is. Maybe you could google "Mimpi Manis" and see what comes up. Or PM her, she'll be under "mimpimanis" on this forum I think.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Miss Sixty,

Some people would label me “cheap,” but I believe calling myself “fiscal conservative” :) is a better description. I am not one to pass a good bargain, and I will cross the street to shop at another establishment, which offers me a better deal. But what I ALWAYS keep in mind is QUALITY.

Therefore, I confess that I cannot comprehend the reasoning of people such as ChadM (Please Chad, don’t take it personally. I never had the pleasure of meeting you, and I have no doubt, based on your previous posts, that you are a fine, thinking fellow :wink: ), as he advises you to walk to the “taxi corral” outside the airport, instead of taking a taxi from the taxi counter, just outside the arrivals exit door.

Coming from England, you have just spent US$700 – 1,000, on your plane fare. The trip of some 20-hour duration, across 6 time zones, has left you totally exhausted. The arrival procedures, the anxiety of waiting for your check luggage, the heat, etc, are not there to help you feel comfortable. Yet, Chad suggests that you walk, with all your luggage, in the heat and humidity, way outside the airport gate (about 700 – 800 meters) just to MAYBE save Rp10,000 (ONE US$). And I say “maybe,” as Chad himself confesses that he thinks he may have over-paid this extra Rp10,000, when he arrived in Bali, very tired, in the middle of the night, and therefore with his bargaining skills somewhat compromised. (FYI, Chad, taxis at midnight are more expensive than during the daytime, and if not, the driver needs a little “encouragement” anyway).

My advice to you, “Miss Sixty,” is to take the convenience of the hassle-free taxi counter, and maybe pay Rp10,000 and forget about it. Think “convenience” and “practicality.”

PS. Regarding transportation from Candi Dasa back to the South (I mean Badung Regency, Roy & Sanurian :lol: ) there are many cars starting from there (there are no taxis per se), and I believe in spreading my money as much as possible. So, I would recommend getting a car from Candi Dasa, of which there are many.

By the way, asking the hotel for the car will automatically increase the price of the car, because 1) transportation associated with a hotel are more expensive to start with, and also 2) because of the commission the driver must give back the hotel to get the fare.

Miss Sixty

Aug 25, 2006
United Kingdom
Hi

Once again, many thanks for all your input about my question. I will try and check out the homestay mentioned, as it sounds lovely, any idea please where it is situated on Lombok?

I take all points about the taxis outside the airport, perhaps when we first arrive at 1930, then we will go for the convenience option, but try the local drivers at another time.

If we were to do a round trip including starting and finishing at Sanur, but taking in Ubud, Candi Dasa and Lombok, which is the suggested route? Perhaps you could give me some guidance on this please.

Also as we arrive at 1930 at night, we will have to return to the airport to book the flights to Lombok, unless anyone knows of a travel agent, who may be able to do this for us in Sanur.

All help is gratefully received.

Thanks so much - Miss Sixty

G

Miss Sixty,

You have 14 days in Bali-Lombok. Here is a possible itinerary.
Day 1 Sanur
Day 2 Fly to Lombok
Day 3 Lombok
Day 4 Lombok
Day 6 Ferry Lembar (Lombok) - Padang Bai (Bali). Candi Dasa
Day 7 Candi Dasa
Day 8 Candi dasa
Day 9 Ubud
Day 10 Ubud
Day 11 Ubud
Day 12 Ubud
Day 13 Ubud
Day 14 Sanur

Don't worry about the Bali Strait. It's about a 3-4 hour crossing on large ferries available 4 - 5/day. It's a great (and short) experience of travelling by boat in Indonesia.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
The "guest" above is me: I had forgotten to register. :oops:

By the way, there is no need to go back to the airport to get your Lombok ticket, as there are many travel agents in sanur who can book it for you.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
A nice itinerary Daniel, but too much time in Ubud. HA...did you ever think you’d hear that from me? But it’s true. Three days is more than enough in Ubud, even with two days, one can “do” Ubud acceptably.

I’d add more time to a Bali road trip...hit the east a little harder...Klungkung, and hit the north and west for certain...Batur, Singaraja, Agung, Besakih.

Personally, I would also scratch Candidasa and head to Amed. All this of course just being personal preferences.

spitfire

May 7, 2005
Jimbaran
The hotels in the touristic area of Senggigi in Lombok are still ok, it's the sales and marketing that didn't develop! I was there in February and hotel Jayakarta or Holiday Resort (former Holiday Inn) are nice 3 and 4 star options to stay. If you like "boutique style" then consider Qunci Villas or Villa Sayang (near Mataram). Then there's the beautiful Oberoi with 5 stars and views to Gili Islands. The ferry is only IDR 25.000 and takes 5-7 hours depending several factors includung sea conditions. The ferries are the kind that are/were used between the Greek islands. They mainly transport local people, cars, buses and backpackers. Inside it's hot and outside even hotter because there's no shade. But it's fun and you'll have conversations quickly.

spitfire

May 7, 2005
Jimbaran
If you fly Singapore Airlines you can do: London-Singapore-Denpasar in. And Mataram - Singapore - London out. This saves you a day and one flight between Lombok and Bali. The International airfare should not be more expensive than a return ticket to Denpasar.

ChadM

Jun 13, 2006
Denver, Colorado USA
Good lord, the taxi staging area is nowhere NEAR 700-800 meters from the airport. At least not the one I was talking about. Crikey, I wouldn't advocate walking half a mile to save US$1!!

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
Well this certainly is an interesting travel thread Six, way to go girl. Both Chad and Tin have their points but - drum roll please - the travel weary concerns win over this judge, score 1 for the Tin man - no disrespect to you Chad :).

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
DCC, help me out please. What is it...exactly...that you do on Bali? Inquiring minds, including mine, want to know.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Miss Sixty,

Let me elaborate a little on what I had in mind in my skeleton of an itinerary.

- Day 1. Sanur, enough time to recuperate from the long flight, and acclimatize to the new environment. o/n Sanur.
- Day 2. Fly to Mataram, Lombok. O/n Sanggigi
- Day 3. Full Day tour to the Gili2, sailing and snorkeling. O/n Sanggigi
- Day 4. Full Day Tour to Central and East Lombok. O/n Sanggigi
- Day 5 Transfer to Candi Dasa, via Lembar – Padangbai ferry. O/n Candi Dasa
- Day 6. Full Day Tour. Karangasem (the historical Puri); Ujung (the newly refurbished Water Palace); Tirta Gangga; Drive on the spectacular road along Gunung Agung, through Selat, Rendang, to Pura Besakih. Return to CD via Sidemen. O/n Candi Dasa
- Day 7. Trekking to Tenganan (about couple of hours). Tenganan. PM, free to enjoy the White Sand Beach at Perasi, near CD. O/n Candi Dasa
- Day 9. Drive to Amed. Snorkelling, etc. O/n Candi Dasa
- Day 8. To Ubud. Stop at Pura Goa Lawah, Semarapura (Visit with Wayang-style painter, Nyoman Mandra, Kerta Gosa, Gunarsa Museum). O/n Ubud
- - Day 9. Trekking around Ubud. Visit some museums. Relax. O/n Ubud
- Day 10. Rafting the Ayung River. O/n Ubud
- Day 11. Free Day. Relax, explore, shop. Eve see the egrets at Petulu. O/n Ubud
- Day 12. Bicycle from Kintamani to Ubud. O/n Ubud
- Day 13. FD Tour. Alas Kedaton, Pura Batukaru, Jatiluwih, Bedugul, Tanah Lot. O/n Ubud
- Day 14. A.M. Bird Park. Continue to Sanur. O/n Sanur
- Day 15 Departure.

Roy,

- The reason I have 3 days in Candi Dasa is because there is a lot to visit in this historical, remote region. So basing oneself in CD saves lot of unnecessary driving. Amed is very nice, but too isolated.

- The reason I have 4 days in Ubud is not for Ubud itself, but for the fact that being in Ubud gives you easy access to many interesting parts of Bali, again without unnecessary driving.

- This is a vacation and therefore it should include some relax time. The first six days are pretty busy. Then it is more relaxed. Days 10, 11, and 14 are half-day activities.

Of course, this is only one of the many possible scenarios for a very short stay of 14 days. As we know, there is so much still to see and experience. :)

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Chad,

Not that it is important, but last time I looked, the "taxi corral" was outside the airport gate, and the international terminal is way in the corner of the airport, to the farthest point away from that gate. I do not think I am too far off from 1/2 mile, and if I am, I don't think I am by much. :)

The fares charged by the taxi counter are by no mean
ridiculous fare (at least by Bali standards)
They are at most, MAYBE 10-15 % above what a skilled bargainer could get outside the airport.