Supporting locals

Sacha

Hi All,
I'm a regular traveller to Bali and in light of the current situation with COVID-19, I am concerned about the locals who rely on tourism to survive.
Can anyone send me in the direction of a reputable charity to support those who have lost their jobs due to the travel bans?
Thanks, Sacha

I've been through the donation thing with local charities and I'm sick to death of these being "run" by some middle-aged, bleach blond Ozzy Karen from her villa in Seminyak.

If you truly want to help just find a local in need and Transferwise him/her some money so they can buy the stuff themselves.

Even in the unlikely event that the charities you find here are bonafide, by them buying a bunch of stuff the recipient may or may not need, they are also putting local sellers of rice and all the other stuff out of business.

It aint easy being good.

In theory it sounds fantastic. In practice they might have very different ideas about how to spend the money than you do. Personally I prefer to take that element of control and if I am going to donate, see what they need and buy those things. Eg I wouldn't agree with spending donated money on a bantens but food is fine, if you just give cash, be prepared to totally let go of any western expectations.

Some banjars are organizing fund raising/food collection to help provide staple goods during this period to their most vulnerable residents (typically the elderly and the disabled). This is how we donated. In our case the process was transparent, as contributions were publicly acknowledged and the distribution program was communicated to all.

Back