Spending Money...

G

Hi guys, I'm off surfing to Bali for 4 weeks from Mid May of next month. I will be staying in cheap guest houses etc and eating from Warungs and restaurants. I also enjoy getting v.drunk still as I am only 22!! I cannot guage how much money I will need though- I live in the UK, so if anybody could help me out, I would appreciate this greatly...

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Nasi Goreng around 6000 Rupiah. (0.60 EUR)

Homestay around 25-40.000 rupiah (2.50-4 EUR)

A bottle of Arak with 40% alcohol will get you drunk.

And its only 14-16.000 rupiah (1.50 EUR) per bottle.

Aspirine or Paracetamol is 2000 (0.20 EUR) or something for 10 tablets.

Have a nice holiday !

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
When I first went to Indonesia a dollar was worth Rp1100. Nasi Goreng was Rp200.

How inflation changes every thing!

I suppose its like my youth.......gone :)

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Nasi Goreng is not indonesian as far as I am aware. It is chinese along with Mie Goreng. Both were brought into Maylasia and then Indonesia as the chinese were imported as labour.

Now of course these are national dishes in the city but in my experience rare in the kampng......but of course I may be wrong :)

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Sorry Jimbo, but you are wrong. The Chinese were NEVER "imported as labor." Quite the opposite in fact.

In Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia the Chinese came as traders, and in many of these areas they eventually became the dominant economic force. They were hardly labor imports. Maybe you were thinking of the early 19th century immigration of Chinese into the US....you know, "I've been working on the railroad" etc.

Anyway this discussion of food reminds me of a funny event that happened here to me many years ago. At a restaurant I was ordering, and simply said "mie goreng." Without missing a beat the waiter replied, ""that's nice, me Himler." :p

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Oh, and by the way, after numerous trips to mainland China over the years, I've never eaten anything like nasi or mei goreng there. In fact, while there are many cultural comparisons between Indonesia and China, the culinary aspects are not one of them.

G

Cheers Guys!! Is there something I should know about Arak??!! Hehe!! That's good to hear. I am planning on taking £500 for the month, so I'm assuming it should be more than enough...

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Buy bottled Arak, not the illegal one one thats sold "under the table" in plastic bags.

There have been reports about this containing Methyl Alcohol, allthough it has been quiet nowadays...