So Lombokers..

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
Tim said:
FreoGirl said:
but at what cost to the beauty of the island?
I'm "almost positive", it's not a consideration.

Ahh and there's the rub, because people don't come half way around the world to visit an overdeveloped, polluted, Asian island. I know people who don't go to Bali anymore because the paradise they once knew is well gone - it could be all over for Lombok before it even starts if the government doesn't pay heed.

But I agree, it is not a consideration, or a fleeting one at best. It has already happened in Lombok - an area where I have spent quite a bit of time, Mangsit, is now a shadow of it's former self - what was once a beautiful curved bay, facing toward Mt Agung on Bali with amazing sunsets is now an eroded polluted beach, with ugly wave breakers (to replace the reef destroyed by locals bombing it for fish), the sand on the beach is gone except at one end, and the lovely hillside of one end of the bay has been hacked away and stripped of vegetation in preparation for villa development. The sunset remains.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Just has two freinds visit me today who have been in Kuta Lombok on and off the last few months. They say in the last two weeks there is suddenly a lot more activity and heavy machinery there. They were surprised at the difference from two weeks previoulsy when they left Lombok for a trip to Flores.