small house in Ubud

Margriet

Sep 2, 2004
My boyfriend and I are looking for a small (read: cheap) house in/ near Ubud, preferably furnished, for the period of July until April. We already look in the Bali advertiser every time and a little bit on the internet. Does anybody know a house like that or maybe knows a good website to find it? Is it easy to find a small house in Ubud?
Thank you!

lise

Nov 6, 2002
If you go to the new Bintang supermarket and go into the parking lot just after it (for the agricultural school), park, and follow the path that runs behind the store, turn right at the water tower, there are some affordable houses back there where we used to live They ran about 2 million per month, a little less, actually. Pak Nyoman is right at the end of the walkway. If you go straight along the path instead of turning right at the water tower there are also a few along there. We had a hard time finding anything affordable when we arrived in Bali, going through the usual channels i.e. advertiser/bulletin boards etc. A good way to find one is to walk or drive up different streets and through neighborhoods...that's how you'll get an affordable place quickly. You can ask neighbors and even if they don't have a place they'll usually know someone who does. I know someone who's moving out of a great house in the next couple of weeks and I believe the rent is 3.4 million or so.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
While I know very well, the Bintang market…not very far from our house, I don’t know anything about the houses behind it. So, Lise’s suggestion could be good.

There are other ways though, and the way I always recommend is to just come here, find a cheap day by day place….at about $20 a night, (with pool, breakfast, etc) and start to network.

You are looking for ten months in Ubud. You can afford a month of looking, while here, to find the “right place” for both of you. The best that can happen is that you get a “house sitting” job for a wealthy expat who has no desire to rent out his or her place when gone, but would love to have someone they can trust to live there, feed the cats and dogs, and just keep the place “alive.”

These arrangements are never found in the Bali Advertiser, or on the internet. These arrangements are only found by networking, “in the flesh” here in Ubud. I know a few expats who started off here by “house sitting” fabulous homes in Sayang, right on the Ayung River several times before setting off and “striking it” on their own. These are multi-million dollar homes, and the thought of just “renting them out” would never occur to their owners.

Short of that wonderful opportunity, just being here affords anyone a better opportunity than ever trying to secure a place in advance. In short, pay your dues. The club is well worth it.

Margriet

Sep 2, 2004
Thank you both! Those replies really help.
Since you both know Ubud very well I would like to aks if there are neighbourhoods we maybe should avoid living? (because it's not safe?)

Bizman

May 27, 2005
Ubud
If you are still interested in finding a place in Ubud, the owner of my house also has some other places to let in Andong that you might want to look at. All are quite new, part furnished (with all the basics), kitchen/ette, bathrooms (I think all have hot water). They are quiet and secure. Prices vary from Rp2,500,000 to Rp4,500,000 per month depending on the size (which I imagine could be negotiated for a long term rental).

PM me for more details and exact location

rhondo

Jun 18, 2005
California
:lol: I know small house over by Wunderbar and Pizza Bagus about 100000 Rp/day and probably negotiable. And very beautiful house 2 story with cable Tv for 150000 Rp/day again probably negotiable. I stayed recently and found these to be perfect in the rice paddie and quiet. House had Kitchen Refrig. Cook Top and were very nice and safe. Each day the house was cleaned. I would however defer to Roy as his advice has never steered me wrong. If you want a picture of house Email me off board and I will send it to you with contact info.

javajive

May 30, 2005
Jakarta
Rhondo (or anyone else) -

I'd be very interested in renting a house and/or homestay in Ubud for about 3 weeks beginning July 12. If anyone has any information or advice, please let me know.

Thanks!

Brandon
Jakarta

InAdelaide

Oct 14, 2004
Australia
A good place to stay while your looking is dewi ayu on monkey forest road only 50,000rp a night no pool but with hot water and nice beds. They have new cottages down the back but stayed in the older ones up the top to avoid the extra walk. small breakfast and coffee flask included.Staff are friendly(yet to stay somewhere where there not)