Sleepless in Seminyak

Wayne

Dec 13, 2004
paris France
We all know that Seminyak is not the place to go for total peace and quiet but.... To my horror (and not mine alone) after arriving in Bali last week a new karaoke club on Sunset road has music going from 11Pm until 6 AM. My place is at least 2 kilometers away and the music can be heard all the way to the beach. I have heard rumours that all the villa owners have signed a petition. Some people in hotels are refusing to pay etc. But the music goes on and on and on. How is this possible? Can one club disturb an entire town every night of the week and even put it's economic life at risk without sanction? Does anyone else know about this and what if anything is happening...... It looks like a holiday without sleep for me........Wayne

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
Good grief, how awful. I loathe that sort of thing. Let's hope the people who control these things see some sense (not that I've ever been, or intend to go, to Seminyak)

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Hi Wayne

...We all know that Seminyak is not the place to go for total peace and quiet...
If we all know that, why did you choose to go there in the first place? Read 'em and weep.

...Can one club disturb an entire town every night of the week and even put it's economic life at risk without sanction?...
Unfortunately, the answer is YES...until the locals get fed-up enough to do something about it. That also depends upon who is getting paid to turn a blind eye (or ear, in this case). And, of course, how much.

"Solution": Move somewhere else before you go insane, or buy high-quality ear-muffs.
Or both.

Good luck, in any event.

:D

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas
Yea, that sounds terrible... I,m sure if a petition was brought to the owners, they may try to do something about it. Club Ogo? sp.? Ozo in Ubub next to nuries is pretty well sound insulated. They may be able to sheetrock the place or something if its an open building. Just a thought?

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
The same s**t happened few years ago with the Tsai Tsai Bar, on Monkey Forest, in Ubud. The hotel owners got together to stop it and they were successful, but it took time.

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
It's pretty simple.. In ubud obviously those obviously those hotels rounded up a bribe big enough between them to either make it worth the officials while, or to 'out-bid' the tsai-tsai. The only way to get action taken against this place is seminyak is to pay and possibly quite a bit, coz they'll pay from their side.. You need a local contact to find for you who needs to be paid.. Asking such can be a delicate art which most locals seem to have mastered..

Best of luck..

Ct

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
Sorry for the double "obviously those", am drivin to LAX on the 405 while typin on the BB.. And having some display issues to complicate things.. By the way, Bummed out in Malibu, San Hoja and San Diego for a few days.. Nice corner of the world.. And the beaches beat the hell out of vancouver.. Jeez, I gotta get to the warm weather!!

Ct

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
well on an LA freeway at 5pm you're hardly goin 70mph.. but yes, much driving and typing ging on these days... i figure we here in bc get screwed on insurance so might as well push the envelope... :p

ct

JAMIE

Apr 20, 2005
BERGEN COUNTY NJ USA
BALILIFE . Thursday last , my kids and I witnessed an inattentive driver cause an accendent in which she died and the two kids in the back seat are in hospital still. The family in the other car were banged up , yet fine . My youngest (11) cried for an hour after seeing such a thing , I was shaken for hours . I told my oldest , when you drive you have to pretend the other drivers on the road are complete idiots . You sir(maam) are the "other " driver Im looking out for . Reason 37 why Im not visiting LA :!:

Tim

Jul 24, 2006
Bothell, Wa. USA
Jamie's "very right" BaliLife, nothing is that important......we do everything but "simply drive the car" these days.
I was born and raised in L.A. and driving there is not a good place to practice bad driving habits.
Tim

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
BaliLife,

I am sorry, I had missed your comments on the tsai-tsai bar. Actually, the owner of the place is a BIG wig in Ubud, so it was not obvious, and like you say, it must have cost a bunddle to make him become "understanding." Actually, the owner of the near-by Komonaka is also very influencial person in Ubud.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
BaliLife,

Yes, at 5:00pm, on any LA freeway, one would go faster riding a mule. However, I wouldn't brag about typing and driving at the same time: this is absolutely not responsible behavior at the wheel, at any time. (Hey, I'm much older than you are, so it's OK for me to give you some advice :wink: ) .

Actually, LA driving is not bad, but I've never enjoyed it. In Boston, which has a very bad reputation nationwide, 9 out of 10 drivers seems to be connected to an IV of valium, as soon as they get in their cars, but watch out for the 10th one, he (she) is the deadly one! For example, he (she) is the guy who will back up on the freeway, just because he (she ) missed his (her) exit. In my opinion, I feel that the Chicago drivers are the worst in the US.

To me, Bali driving is the best, I mean exciting and fun (so far so good). Allow me to reprint once more for the benefice of the new forumites, this humoristic article on Bali driving.

This article appeared on November 4, 1988, in the San Francisco Chronicle, and was written by JON CARROLL .

HOW TO DRIVE IN BALI.

Here is an actual true fact you may wish to wrap in a handkerchief and put in your sock drawer until needed: if you drive like an American in Bali, you will die like pig fossil. Truly.

To operate a motor vehicle in Bali, you must understand the transportation gestalt in an entirely different way. Definitions that you thought were above redefinition will immediately be redefined. Please pay attention.

- THE ROAD. Includes not only the paved portion of the highway, but also what we might call “the verge,” “the curb,” “the sidewalk,” “the front yard,’ “the roadside restaurant,” and “the monastery” The paved portion of the roadway is generally one lane wide. Not one lane in each direction: one lane.

- RESPECT. All animals are granted the greatest respect in Bali. It is presumed that being highly evolved creatures, chickens and dogs and the like know how to sidestep a Mitsubishi going 78 mph on a for-shrouded road during a national religious holiday.

- This same position of honor is granted to small children, cripples, men with 30 pounds of hay on their heads, unattended oxcarts and elderly women in mystic trances. Slowing or swerving to avoid these beings would cause them dishonor.

- DISHONOR. Getting from morning to evening while remaining in the same incarnation.

- LANES. These colorful white and yellow markings wish a hearty “Selamat datang” (Welcome) to every traveler. They have no other function.

- PASSING. The national sport of Bali. Observant motorists may encounter the vertical triple (passing three vehicles in one acceleratory movement,) the horizontal triple ( passing a vehicle that itself is in the process of passing a vehicle,) or even the rare double-double (passing a vehicle at precisely the same time that another vehicle, coming in the other direction, is also engaged in the act of passing.)

- TAILGATING. What to do when not passing.

- BEING PASSED. An insult not to be endured. The greater the differential between your vehicle (say, a broken tricycle) and the passing vehicle (say, a Boeing 747,) the greater the potential loss of prestige. The owner of the less powerful vehicle must always do everything in his/her power to thwart the attempt to overtake.

- SEATBELTS. Absolutely unnecessary. Not only are they not worn, they are not even provided. Passengers are fully protected by the horn (see below)

- LIGHTS. Rapidly blinking the headlights can mean many things, including “OK to pass now,” “ dangerous to pass now,” or “may you find the thread of gold in the linen of existence.” It takes years, sometimes entire lifetimes, to learn this subtle and intriguing intuitive nonverbal communication skill. Generally, however, you have about three seconds.

- THE HORN. When sounded loudly and frequently, the horn sets up an invisible energy barrier protecting the vehicle and its inhabitants from all harm. The faster the vehicle is going, the better the horn works. This is the central concept of Indonesian motoring.

- ACCIDENTS. Rare. Usually the result of a malfunctioning horn.

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
jamie / tim - i completely agree with you... doesn't mean i'll do anything differently :p hehehe... perhaps mobile devices can be seen as a good means of population control...

tintin - thanks for the clarification...

ct

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
Just curious Balilife - would you type into your Blackberry when you are driving with your kids in the car?

I hope the answer to that is no.

And if the answer is no, then how about having the same respect for the life of everyone else's kids.

Dangerous driving is not just about YOUR insurance, it is about the safety of everyone else using the same road as you.

What sort of person are you anyway??

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
"What sort of person are you anyway??"

obviously a thoughtless one.. experience a north american traffic jam on a daily basis and then provide this lecture freogirl - the kwinana fwy doesnt count.. people read the paper in LA traffic jams.. in any case, thnx for the moral lecture..

ct

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
Yeah, been there done that. Can't say I miss the traffic, or the pollution. Bottom line is you are being irresponsible. Take it as a moral lecture if you like. You speak of your behaviour as if you are being a naughty kid. I personally find what you are doing offensive, and I'm calling you on it. End of story.

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
haha.. you find it offensive? that's funny... i love how people tend to become ultra sensitive / judemental on forums.. perhaps it's because they just feel the need to post something.. i'll try and be more responsible mom..

ct

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
Way off topic folks!

Anywho - the reason LA's so jamm'n IS the typing going on :). Besides that doesn't compare with sms'n while driving a moto, which is common here.

iainsomers

Aug 3, 2006
Houten, The Netherlands
Pff, a moderator that goes on that off-topic, is a bit strange to me.

It was just a remarkt he made and everybody attacks him!

There are worse things in the world an in bali.

Name some:

Terrorism
Unneccesary wars
Slaughtering of near-extincted sea-turtles
Kids with hunger in Darfur
Presidents of huge nations neglecting the global warming
etc. etc. etc.