Setting up a Spa business

zulhelmitaib

Sep 18, 2009
Hi guys,
I've been searching within this site high and low so please forgive me if this topic has already been discussed.

I'm very interested to start a small-scale spa business in Legian area . I just got back from Bali and I did manage to talk to a lot of Balinese staff who work at various spa and they gave me almost all the basic details (wages,location,shop rental, supplier etc).

On returning home (I'm Malaysian citizen), I emailed Mr. Eko from Channel 11 and was so diappointed to learn that his email is as follows
" First of all let me clarify that according to our knowledge since a couple of years a go Bali government has closed a new application in a few lines of business which is inclusive of Travel agent, Developing company, Money Changer, Massage parlor and also Spa."

Does anybody has any idea if there's still possibility for me to set up a Spa here ( My sister runs a Spa in Malaysia).

Really appreciate if I can get some opinion about this. Thank you:)

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Hi zulhelmitaib,

I don't know about the regulation quoted by Mr. Eko, but between you and me (forgive me to be blunt) , Legian needs another spa like a kick in the head. :roll:

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
As Tintin states there are just so many spa's all over the island that competition is going to be fierce. If you could do it you might need an Indonesian partner but what can you bring to the table that would be innovative and new???

zulhelmitaib

Sep 18, 2009
Hi thanks for the response. Well I'm aware that competition is really fierce there. But as a customer myself in Bali (and I have a Spa in Malaysia),if you are talking about a spa that charges between IDR 55k-65k for an hour body massage,it's very unlikely for you to see many spas that can offer warm ambience (what's with the white light on), professional and friendlier service ( something as simple as greeting customers at the door as they leave rather than just smile most of the time ignore them as soon as they paid)..there are bits and pieces of services that I'm so used to having in Malaysia that are missing there.

To make money isn't my only goal, I would like to provide better working environment as well as better remuneration scheme for my staff.

bolli

Nov 28, 2005
Australia
I'm a spa junkie and I know most of the excellent, good, mediocre and bad. let me tell you another spa is just not viable, there are too too many in Kuta/ Legian/ Seminyak.
There are many excellent spas that do offer much more than the 65,000rp rub and scrub for cheap tourists rub so I am not sure where you went.
I don't mean to be rude but I hope there has been a crackdown on people opening them up from overseas.
Do you intend to live there because there is no way you can regulate the way it operates if not.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
If you are set on the idea I happen to know of 2 young women that normally live here in east Bali that are now working in the Maldives doing exactly what you mention for international hotels there - hence speak excellent English too.

Apparently Balinese masseuse (sp?) are world wide much sought after. Anyway they (the 2 young women) come from an excellent local family and are looking to open or work in a spa here in the east so if you want to be hooked up you can pm me and I'll get their contact details for you.

DorisDazed

Apr 3, 2009
Halo, zulhelmitaib

...I'm very interested to start a small-scale spa business in Legian area...

Good luck for that - you're going to need it big time.
However, if your project brings a better service and prices, you could be OK, (for a while). Until others copy you.

I hope they do because there are already far too many over-priced "spas" in that area. Your approach promises something more affordable and with quality control in mind, rather than a blatant rip-off. Let me know when you're up and running - I might be one of your early customers.
...I don't mean to be rude but I hope there has been a crackdown on people opening them up from overseas.
Not sure if this person means "hope" or "thinks" there's a crackdown.

Maybe calling your spa a "warung" might help. I'm not sure.

:D