Selamat Hari Raya Ramadan

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
42 of my muslim staff celebrated the start with beating up of one of my non muslim Indians.

I called them in a meeting and told them that this is not how good muslims behave especially during this holy month. I then brought in the local Imam and between them they have to make a special penance to him.

I had several of them in tears. I hate violence especially when t is racially based. It made me depressed once again and lose hope in my fellow man.

I hope tomorrow is a better day.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Freo wrote:

Roy, I didn't have to become Muslim when I got married, it was a personal choice. I wouldn't call it converting as I did not have a religion prior to Islam.

I also know expats who have 'converted' in name only when they married, both Muslim and Hindu. Personally I admire the women who take on Hinduism - all that work at the temple!!

One step at a time:

"Roy, I didn't have to become Muslim when I got married."

I didn't say or even intimate that you did.

What I did say was:

"It sounds like you fast during Ramadan as well? I know several expats who converted to Islam when they married, and I always admire their willingness to embrace their choice in a dedicated manner, rather than a quick end to the means of marriage."

"I wouldn't call it converting as I did not have a religion prior to Islam."
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

"Personally I admire the women who take on Hinduism - all that work at the temple!!"

I have yet to see a wanita bule working on offerings at ANY temple in Bali, but I'll try to keep my eyes open! :p My point is, a converted Hindu lady in a Balinese temple would be as useless as ten thumbs with a sharp knife! :p :p