SELAMAT HARI RAYA GALUNGAN!

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
To everyone! You could tell around here at 4 to 5 this morning that Galungan was upon us. There must have been twelve pigs getting ready to become babi guling. They always seem to announce the arrival of Galungan in their own way!

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
It becomes a high pitched shriek when their throats get cut.

Yup. I was trying to avoid the bloody details, the gurgling sounds at death and all, but thanks for making your point Jimbo. :roll:

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
In Toraja it is very common at funerals to have 10's of pigs and buffaloes killed. It is almost a spectacle of its own. In the Kampung of course killing animals. chickens etc is a daily occurence.

We just get squemish because we buy pre packed from supermarkets. The back to the roots folks have quite a culture shock when the actually go there.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Well, after almost eight years of living in a Balinese kampung, I'm still not used to it. Just yesterday at pura for Galungan I was asked if I would like the honors of doing the duck. I politley explained, "no thanks, I'm clean out of condoms." :shock:

My father in law got the joke, as he has caught me more than once talking to the pigs.

Davo

Jan 4, 2006
Adelaide, Australia
Roy, once again i have to say you are a very naughty boy.

From my ozzy sence of humour point of view, I would have to say, thats the funniest thing i've seen you write.

More power to you sir, and dont stop. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Yes, Eri tells me I am very naughty, "nakal" all the time. BUT, she has a thing for "bad boys."

I'm so bad, that my village banjar has just elected me to be pecalang! I kid you not! I get to wear those black and white "table cloth" saputs, and special tee shirts, bearing my longest kris, ready to raise hell! :shock:

I could not turn down this nomination. That would be very, very bad for me. But, I was able to negotiate that my role as pecalang will only be in events likely to attract tourists, like cremations, Nyepi eve, or other large temple ceremonies. And, I further negotiated that my only interaction as pecalang will be with foreigners.

I'm no fool. I want to live for a lot more years! :p