Rousseau in Ubud

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
A group of 49 paintings by the brilliant “Le douanier” Rousseau is being exhibited, under the name “Henri Rousseau: Jungles in Paris,” at the National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C. I am sure most of you recognize at once most of his unique works, as they are so familiar. His influence extended to several generations of artists, starting with Picasso and including Léger, Beckmann and the Surrealists. I also found that Henri Rousseau’s influence extended, of all places, as far as Ubud, in the early 1980s. When I first came to Ubud, I found, to my immense pleasure, most of the local painters painting in his style: large canvases, pictures on a flat space, without one point perspective, extravagant, unreal “jungle” scenes. For me, it was a visual orgy.

This is why I am including below three of Rousseau's most famous paintings for your enjoyment. It might take some of you back to this time in Ubud.

Monkeys.jpg

Lion.jpg

TheDream.jpg

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Come on Daniel, if Rousseau made a go of life on Bali, even in his time, he would have only survived as long as the money in his pocket provided. His claim to fame is the ultimate con in the art world, and it is called promotion, or the gallery behind the artist. He, as with most westerners, was totally incapable of capturing life in the jungle as only the Balinese can. I offer you this painting, to be auctioned later today in Ubud by I Nyoman Meja. While most all art enthusiasts have heard of, or are aware of Rousseau, Pak Meja is not so well known. The money value aside, I personally would chose Pak Meja over Rousseau any day of the week.

I also offer a second work, this one by Anak Agung Gede Tjukit. Sorry to say, but Rousseau couldn’t paint anything this good, even with a gun at his head! And, sorry to say, both these paintings by both artists were painted without any knowledge, understanding, or appreciation of Rousseau’s works. It may, and likely is, the other way around, as with the influence of Japanese prints of the mid 19th century on major western artists of that time

Pak Meja, and many Balinese artists like him, are only representative of the huge numbers of highly talented and gifted artists who escape recognition while the rest of the world salivates over hacks like Rousseau. And, why do they salivate? Because they have been taught to, that’s why.

So, when we meet Daniel, it would seem we will have lots to talk about! I’ll begin the conversation with, “hack French artists, and artists alsi di Bali.” That will be a good “ice breaker” don’t you think?

http://www.sundream.com/~majapahit/imag ... diBali.jpg

Note, a right clik may be needed to enlarge to your full screen.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Hi Roy,

Personally, I like Rousseau's work very much (and I was not brainwashed by any “promotion” of the artist), but this was not my point. I think you misunderstood my post, as I was NOT saying, far from it, that his paintings (at least the ones with the above subject matter, i.e. jungles) were better than anything that was being done by some Balinese artists. I was only saying that, given my "soft spot" for Rousseau, I was overwhelmed by what was being done in Ubud, when I first came there, in the early 1980s.

It does not take much analysis to know why. As I wrote above, it was all in the style: large canvases, pictures on a flat space, without one point perspective, extravagant, unreal “jungle” scenes. And furthermore, I was not even talking about the works of famous painters, such as I Nyoman Meja (I don't know anything about Anak Agung Gede Tjukit), but about the many anonymous, lowly Ubud artists, whose works may not have been recognized by the “intelligencia” in the art world. I was like a kid in a candy factory…or as you say, I was "salivating" over their works. (By the way, I don’t know of any painting by Meja, which is in Rousseau’s style).

As for “who influence who?” one should remember that no man is an island. Since the beginning, in all the different fields of human endeavor, including painting, starting with the cave paintings of Lascaux, it has been a continuum, an endless development. There is no question about Rousseau’s influence on several generations of vanguard painters, starting with Picasso and including Léger, Beckmann and the Surrealists.

I believe you are in a good position to know about the “promotion, or the gallery behind the artist.” I seem to remember that you said you had, at one time or another, a gallery in Boston? For me, I am well aware of the kind of “politics” that goes on in the field, as my first wife, who was a professional painter, experienced it first hand. And it’s “ditto” in the field of writing, where the “gallery” is now replaced by the “editor.” I would add that this “promotion, or the gallery behind the artist,” applies equally to any "famous" painter, including Meja.

PS. I am sure you know, but for the benefit of others who may not be aware, Rousseau was a self-taught painter. His moniker, “le Douanier,” refers to the fact that he was making a living as a customs inspector. He painted his “jungles” without ever leaving Paris, and the only jungles and wild animals that he saw were at the Jardin des Plantes (The Paris Botanical Garden).

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Daniel, ma’af. If you come here on this forum to speak of French artists, I will, and can, deliver ten times as many better Balinese artists, and with jpegs to back me up.

Yes, I do get pissed off when Balinese art is simply associated with western art and artists. No question that western art influenced Balinese art, especially during the Pita Maha period pre world war II. French impressionism was equally influenced by Asian art.

So for me, that is it. Balinese art is second cousin to nobody! Anyone who takes the time to study Balinese art will agree with me in a New York second. So, that’s it and maybe a better topic to discuss in person...directly opposite the Neka Museum at Naughty Nuri’s Warung.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Roy,

Agree (about discussing this topic in person, at Nuri's), but I am afraid you'll probably run circles around me, given your experience in the field.

For now, I will just ask you not to get excited about my new post, :wink: as I was not denigrating Balinese art at all, nor was I comparing Western and Balinese art, hinting that Western art is superior. Western art is Western art, and Eastern art is Eastern art, but as you yourself stated (the Pita Maha, for example), there has always been in art what I would call "cross-pollination." For example, I saw the section at the Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam, dedicated to Van Gogh’s private (and large) collection of Japanese woodcuts, which he loved so much and definitely influenced him (if I remember well my Art History class of many years ago, he went as far as making, in his own style of Japanese woodcuts after Hiroshige: Flowering plum tree and The bridge in the rain). And I was not even talking about Rousseau influencing the Ubud painters of the 1980s. I was just stating what I found at the time, in Ubud. It was serendipity. :)

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Daniel, we are friends. I was just "yanking on your chain."

If the truth be told I personally love the works of both Henri and Theodore Rousseau. Theodore you will recall was a brilliant artist of the Barbizon School, the predecessor of French impressionism. In my view, TR was a far better painter than the more famous, and also French artist, JBC Corot.

In Bali it is difficult for any serious artist to obtain the recognition they deserve. In a way, they have “shot themselves in the foot” with so much copying of styles and methods. To some degree westerners are to blame for this, in particular those like Walter Spies, Bonnet, etc. that started the Pita Maha organization in the pre WWII years. In those years art was taught by mimicking or copying “the masters” and that influence is very evident today.

As you well know, in Bali there is no word in their indigenous language for art. Oddly enough, or perhaps more than coincidental, there is also no Balinese word for love. I think a Frenchman or an Italian would understand and appreciate better than most that art and love are inseparable.

The proclivity for art in Bali is truly beyond comprehension. Or I should say it is beyond my comprehension. This is true on even the most basic level. Who among us who have sat in a Balinese compound watching women carve out breathtakingly beautiful offerings with very sharp knives and not marveled in amazement? Geeez! They don’t even look at what they are doing. They seem like a group of women sitting and talking (no doubt sharing gossip) who might otherwise be knitting a sweater!

In Bali, art is as much a basic element of their culture as is language. In deep and honest conversation with many Balinese artists, one commonly expressed view eventually rises to the surface. That common view is that the Balinese have been gifted by God to make that for which they have no name. Eight years ago I would have laughed at that suggestion. Now, after eight years of constant Balinese intoxication, I can believe it. For certain, I cannot offer a more plausible or logical explanation.

My three sons....sounds like the name for a good TV show....are perfect and constant reminders to me of this phenomenon that is so uniquely Balinese. Given choices of many various toys, each one will prefer to draw or paint in books or build something from all the building block like toys they have. One painting by Bima, when he was only three, caught the eye of Pak Hans at Café Lotus so much that he framed it, and it hangs there in full view in his restaurant close to the bar.

Art is passion. In the west it seems to me that only a few are gifted to create art. In Bali it seems as normal as eating nasi. I am quite certain that in my life I will never be able to comprehend this fact. I’m slowly coming to understand that for me it is better to just accept it, enjoy it and stop wrestling within myself to identify it.

Yes Daniel, when we finally meet, and I am certain that we will, we will have much to talk about and much to share.

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
Hey Guys -

Wow glad you added the chain yank post Roy. Don't take this wrong way but sometimes your defense of these Islands feels a bit heavy. I mean if someone wasn't interested in this place or its peoples they wouldn't be on this site. That said, I do appreciate your thoughtful observations.

Danial was offering his observations of art and drawing some comparisons which is cool. I dig Henri! And I would add, check the date on the last painting - that's 1910 bro, not 2006. A revolution was in midstream in the western art world. Any true comparison of the "art" of the west vs east (Bali) or of the artists must be purely objective.

Lastly, Bali artists are more masters of their craft than explorers of the new. Like the past European painters to the church, Bali artists produced for an organized patronage, and did so well into the 20th century. Innovation exploration in these environments are second to execution. It's no wonder that there are so many gifted painters here. It's interesting to note that there are few local painters painting non-local subject matter. That's understandable and there is a lot here to show the rest of world and clearly Meja and Tjukit are skilled in expression.

BTW - Where these paintings cleared by the new Minstry of Conformity and Oppression :D

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Well “bro” since we are on such intimate terms, do a google or yahoo on Maurice Sterne and have a look at what this American expatriate artist experienced in Bali beginning in 1912!

Yes. My defense of Bali is heavy and it comes without mercy. I guess I should say that I am sorry for that, but if I said that, too many people that really know me very well would say I was telling a lie. They would be right.

When it comes to Bali, I take no prisoners. Bali is my home, or more to point, it is home of my wife and our three sons. Any man from any culture will immediately understand where I am coming from. It just so happens that I am coming from Bali.

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
Sorry Roy, didn't mean to take liberties. And yes your defense of Bali is heavy, as you said. And as they say the best offense is a good defense. I also did not mean to offend - only having discourse as I thought that was what this forum is for. I complimented you too.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Hey amigo no offense taken. :D Have you been able to make it to Ubud to check out the Ubud Festival? Pretty neat.

quirkyartist

Jun 30, 2006
Sydney Australia
The Ubud festival was amazing and I was soooooo LUCKY to catch the most important part of it. Will they have it next year? My Balinese friends told me it was to 'encourage the tourists back to Bali'. I only came upon it by luck. HOW can we get them to publicise it in Australia? HOW can we get Australian travel agents to start advertising holidays in Bali again.

Roy - next time we must talk art! What is it I bring a bottle of? Gin? (Gin is safe with me- the only drink I don't drinkl)

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Gin? Good grief no. That’s the abominable poison of the Brits. Relaying that to art...think of William Hogarth. No need to bring anything except your smiling self!

So, when at the festival did you run into Jason Monet at work at his easel? Nyoman Gunarsa was there painting, as well as other notable Balinese artists.

As for next year, who knows? The fact is the organization and promotion job for this festival was terrible. If it is to happen again next year, lots of changes and far better coordination will be needed.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
My favorite painter on Bali, both as a friend and a great artist is the Englishman Jason Monet. I took this photo of him about three years ago during a “tuna night” at Nuri’s. His web site is most assuredly worth having a look.

http://www.jasonmonet.com/

JasonMonet.jpg

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
I don't care what Jason says, he IS a frog. :) Monet is a frog's name, and I should know about frogs, as I ARE one (like Pogo would say). :lol:

Great photo (even my wife says so)! It really captures the man and his spirit.