Roundup of ISP's Internet Service Providers in Bali

Lee

Nov 4, 2004
Bali
Has anyone got or heard of the Xplore 3g package? I just heard about if today and checked it on the website.
http://www.xl.co.id/Program_Promosi/Pro ... plor_3G/1/ (only in Indonesian though)

For Rp1,300.000 (plus tax) you get a data card for your computer, there is a discount if you subscribe to one of their packages which are:
Mega package: Rp 99,000/month for 250 MB free, anything over that is 400 rp /10kb
Giga Package: Rp 499,000/month for 3 giga free, over and above that is as above.

The speed is around 365/kps.

I would be interested to hear if any one is using it.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
RE: Roundup of ISP

That's great of you Roy

To show your true colours.

You hate Balinese dogs and you have no time for pensioners, "disabled" or otherwise.

Take a look at yourself.

Your last comment was totally uncalled for.

A few keywords here so the Google-bot can pick up on them:
"bigot - know-it-all - clandestine racist - bullshit artist - aggressive conqueror - insensitive - talented ignoramus - sexist", etc.

I tried not to post this but you managed to piss me off, big time. I hope you're happy.

:evil:

nomad4ever

Jan 2, 2007
Bali

Oha! What a discussion.

@ Sanurian, I don't know, what the number 2 means. Maybe it's an old analogue fixed line number as well?

I got only explained this 7 and 8 thingy by several Telkom employees in Denpasar and Kerobokan.

@ Lee, this Xplore 3G sounds interesting. Have to check that out in more detail. Though it has the high-initial-price-bomb as well as a downside.

Hm....

orang gila

Jul 6, 2006
Bali
Re: RE: Roundup of ISP

Sanurian said:
That's great of you Roy
Your last comment was totally uncalled for.

:shock: would have to agree with you on that one, maybe you pissed Roy off though, by revealing that you have some "knowledge" on the subject. :oops:

Now, back the the subject, which I think was internet access :wink:

A great thread, which really hasn't helped me much, as living remotely, ie; in the highlands, we don't get much choice, it's telkomnet, or nothing.

When we first came up the hill, we had a dial up account with someone, completly forgot that we'd be on interlocal calls, and ran up a HUGE phone account. And I have learnt to be patient; when downloading large files, I discovered the joy of making a fresh coffee.

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com

Hey Orang Gila,

I stopped by the bar in the market the other day, but the lady that was there said you were at the restaurant. But, I did get a chance to look at the bar which is very nice. My wife wouldn't let me have a beer though. Maybe next time.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Gee Phil, it was just a joke! I have no idea how you make ends meet. Last we met, you still had both your arms and legs...so if something has changed since then, I apologize. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Lighten up amigo. It’s not like you to allow yourself to be played like a fiddle. :roll:

As for Bali dogs, I only disregard the short hair dingo variety. I am quite fond of the long haired Kintamani breed. :shock:

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Lee - I too am interested to have feedback on the XL offering as having looked at the site it is available in Lombok. I did meet someone last year using his laptop in a warung in Kuta, he said he was using a 3gcard, that must have been it. He reckoned the connection was pretty good but for what I want I need a connection of 128kbps.

Anyone using a 128kbps connection in Bali? If so can I ask who your provider is & how reliable you find it.

Thanks
Gemma

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar

In Saudi I get 1 GB ADSL for a $80 per month on a private line and in the UK 2GB ADSL for $34. Attached to that is a wifi network cost of the box was $80 and my children all hook up to that. There is availability up to 10GB for $50 per month.

Once you have used the internet at these speeds dial becomes a major pain so I feel for you guys. My Kids download 3 GB a month of music alone!!!! Still I would sacrifice all to get back. I almost had a job in Aceh which fell through and now I am chasing another in Jakarta. No matter what I will be back in July.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless

Jogry isn't using a satellite connection.

She is using a Wifi connection to a provider that is using a satellite connection. In the North there are a few options now.

Spicenet, xlcom, and sharing a sat connection with neighbours.

niksing

Nov 6, 2006
Kaba Kaba
Thanks for the info Bert.

Is there anyone here that is using satellite or a similar WIFI connection to Jogry in the Canggu to Tanah Lot area?

Just trying to review our internet options as much as possible before we arrive next month (woo hoo only 39 days to go!) I know the standard modem options are going to be unsuitable for our needs as we both need internet for business. Everything else is falling into place with shipping now booked, house rented (sort of!) land purchase almost complete, architect progressing well and my parents have now arrived and started to settle in. Wanting to get some info on internet so at least while I have a decent internet connection here in Singapore I can research as much as possible.

Nikki

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur

Hi niksing

As Bert's pointed out, Blueline and Global Extreme are readily available in the south of Bali (for a relatively big price). If price is no barrier for you, they work OK. But they ain't Singapore.

Telkom Speedy is still the most hassle-free, "cheap" option I know of. Their "basic" option is Kbs 384/64 for 750MB/month...extra MBs at Rp 770/MB. They have pricier deals but nothing to get overly excited about, but they do have them.

Someone might correct me here, if I'm wrong, but general web-surfing is not affected all that much by connection speeds UNTIL/UNLESS we want to download something big (like music, videos, software, etc), when connection speed means everything. "Dedicated connections" which "guarantee" download/upload speeds and low contention ratios still cost an arm and a leg here.

:roll:

niksing

Nov 6, 2006
Kaba Kaba
Thanks Sanurian for the info.

I know I have been pretty spoilt for the past 10 years here in Singapore with almost instant 24 hour unlimited broadband access for a super low price. One of the things I am just going to have to get used to in Bali and find imaginative ways around it! Not everything can be perfect in paradise!

Is there anyone on the boards using satellite or the radio antenna options that are provided by Blueline etc? Would like to get an idea of availability and speeds for down and uploading.

Thanks,

Nikki

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur

niksing

...I know I have been pretty spoilt for the past 10 years here in Singapore with almost instant 24 hour unlimited broadband access for a super low price...

You most definitely have (been spoiled). :D

Having lived in Bali for a long time, being reminded of the speed/price of internet connections in the west makes me feel a little depressed. Thanks for that.

Functionally "fast" connections are available, at a premium cost, and dependent upon where one lives here. There are even "jungle connections" for those who live in areas with no electricity or phone lines (not cheap, either).

Let us all know how you navigate your way through the morass of Indonesian ISP's and what they provide/promise. For the truly affluent amongst us, it's probably not a big deal...maybe just an annoyance and a learning curve to slow down (literally) and enjoy the other things available to us.

:D 8)

swisshawaiian

Jul 23, 2006
Canggu-Pererenan, Bali
I live in Pererenan (between Tanah Lot and Kerobokan) and have been using Blueline for the past six months. I'm quite happy with it, very reliable. I only had about three outages during the half year, each lasting about half a day. I don't pay any flat fee, only for usage, which is as follows:

Mo-Fr 8am-6pm Rp 1500/MB
Mo-Fr 6pm-10pm Rp 750/MB
any day 10pm-8am Rp 300/MB
weekends 8am-6pm Rp 750/MB

For customers who have a high usage, you can pay Rp 250,000/month flat and get a reduced rate per MB (RP200, Rp500 and Rp 1,000/MB).

G

DR SAM Paltridge of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development asked me in his Paris office, "Guess what you get for $A50 a month from a broadband operator in Paris?"

The answer: internet download speeds of up to 24 megabits a second and unlimited downloads, at least 100 television channels in the basic package (and the offer of another 100 channels if you pay extra), unlimited voice-over-internet protocol calls within France, and phone calls to other countries that save heaps — all offered with no maximum contract periods for customers.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/business/ ... 95751.html

I'm sure there are many people who like me would find it prohibitive to work in Bali because of the comparatively woeful internet facilities. Sure it will improve over time. I'm waiting....