Roundup of ISP's Internet Service Providers in Bali

nomad4ever

Jan 2, 2007
Bali
I was recently in the situation to assess the existing internet options in Bali, to chose what is best to spend my bucks on.
Spent quite a lot of time and effort to check it all up and compare the different providers and options.

If anyone is interested, here is the roundup:

http://www.nomad4ever.com/2007/01/03/roundup-of-isps-internet-service-providers-in-bali/

If you know of any more providers and cheaper/better options, please let me know!

I'm heavily interested to reduce my internet expenses.

Thanks,

nomad4ever

Jan 2, 2007
Bali
RE: Roundup of ISP

I'm sorry for that mistake. My english doesn't work that well in combination with red wine or beer bintang. Will change that right away! ;-)

matahari

Mar 8, 2005
Oslo

My first post in a long time now.. =) Maybee an odd question... but is there anyone who tried to download from DC++ or Bittorrent? what speed (Kib/s) is possible to obtain? I guess it won´t be any fast but it would be interesting to know anyways.. =)

Lee

Nov 4, 2004
Bali
I had a look at the Indosat M2 web page and it says that there is a Rp 100/minute local tariff fee for the dial up access. From what I can see this isn’t accounted for in the total cost breakdown given, so would bring the hourly rate up to close what Telkom charge per hour.

Please correct me of I am wrong.

nomad4ever

Jan 2, 2007
Bali

From my perspective this is only, if you dial the nation-wide number 0809 88 001. For the local number (Bali's is 20456) and when using the packet deal, it shouldn't be the case. Even for the plain dial-up service (not package deal, the hourly rate is stated at 2.850 Rp.) If they add here another 100 Rp/minute, that would look suspicious for sure.

As I didn't receive a bill yet (just signed up a few days ago) I can't say for sure of course.

I will monitor that and will update the info, when getting my first bill.

Lee

Nov 4, 2004
Bali
I’m not 100% sure, but I think that the 100 Rp / min is what Telkom charge and not Indosat. Even if you call the local number in Bali it is through a telkom line to get the Internet access, so therefore there will be a charge by them.

Anyway I hope you’re right and I am wrong.

Lee

Nov 4, 2004
Bali
As I said I’m not 100% sure on this, I checked the same web page as you and it only mentions the access fee of 100 rp a minute (no mention of Telkom). I just assumed it would be them and not Indosat making the extra charge.

Keep us informed.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur

Hi nomad4ever

It's a sad fact that the quest for fast, reliable and affordable internet services in Bali, (for home users), will be an uphill battle for a long time to come.

Indonesia still has a very piss-weak "pipeline" to the rest of the world. The Indonesian government has some pie-in-the-sky idea of rolling out fibre optic cables throughout the archipelago but it doesn't have the money to do it. It's trying to find foreign investors to pay for it. The whole archipelago is one thing, but one running from Jakarta to Bali might be more realistic. I'm still holding my breath.

I just had a quick look at your website...when I have more time, I'll look again. As far as dial-up connections go, potential users should be aware that whichever ISP they use and whatever they're charged, they still have to pay Telkom for the amount of time they're using their phone-line because Telkom has timed charges for calls. It's a bummer but it's a fact of life.

When I lived in Jogjakarta some years ago, I used Indosat as my ISP for a dial-up connection to my house. It got pretty expensive and was often extremely slow. When I asked them why it was so bad, they put all the blame on me and my existing telephone line. It turned out that my phone line was actually pretty good and Indosat was simply ripping me off. I know that for sure since, in desperation, I tried Telkom Instan and often managed to get 45.2Kbs. I then tried another ISP called Centrin, which turned out to be much cheaper than the other two.

When I returned to Bali, I continued using Centrin for several years and didn't have any major problems. My only beef with Centrin happened one day when I was paying my bill and asked the staff why I was struggling to get 33.6Kbs (actually a bit less). It was only then that they told me Centrin has two numbers for logging in...one in Denpasar for a maximum of 33.6Kbs, and another one which is "digital" for an actual maximum of around 44.6Kbs. I always found Centrin to be considerably cheaper than using Telkom Instan.

I left Centrin some time last year. Not because I was dissatisfied with their service but because I thought it was time for me to take on what I call the "kiddie's broadband" that Telkom Speedy offers. It's no great shakes but I haven't found a more affordable alternative in Bali, so far. (I mean, without buying expensive antennae and other peripherals to go wi-fi or satellite.)

The basic Telkom Speedy package costs Rp 330,000 (incl. tax)/per month for a total download + upload of a measly 750MB. Going over 750MB costs Rp 770/MB (incl. tax). The stated maximum speeds are 384/64Kbs. The maximum speed I seem to get, (in Sanur), for downloads is around 345Kbs. Still, that's faster than typical dial-up connections so I'm not complaining. Telkom Speedy has other packages, of course, like 512Kbs, but they're too expensive, in my opinion.

One advantage of ADSL is that the phone-line is not tied up and/so you don't have to pay Telkom for the length of time you're using the internet. I reckon that's a big plus.

Who knows? Maybe one day in the hopefully near future, ordinary people in Bali will be able to have fast(er) and cheaper connections than what's available right now.

I might add here that when I need to download a big file, I go to an internet cafe down the road from me which has a 1536Kbs connection and it only charges Rp 10,000/hour for the privilege.

I can understand how and why Indonesian telecommunications is just waking up...I hope it grows up a lot faster. We'll all see.

:roll:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Well, as an eight year internet user and resident of Ubud, relying on the internet for our business, I have can only say that in the end, Centrin and Telkom, with only dial up connections, have always, in the end, found for me what I needed to get the job done. Very early on, even Indosat was occasionally “employed” out of total desperation.

While that means that very often I was working on-line from 1 to 5 AM to get a better modem dial up speed for all my uploads, and downloads, the undeniable fact is, I was able to get it done.

I guess what bothers, or frustrates the dickens out of me is that I only regard the internet and e-mail as a tool. My mentality on this is based not unlike that of a carpenter. For him, if his hammer worked, and worked well, why consider a new or modified hammer?

Moreover, I will freely admit that I do not embrace changes to my routine with open arms, and I am immediately suspicious of new hardware/software, that are sometimes presented to me as a means to make my “computer life” easier.

My computer “guru” a Chinese/Indonesian friend in Denpasar, who I have known for many years seems to embrace the psychology of each and every computer user that he can call a client. He is brilliant in that he listens very intently to what his clients say they need, maybe think they need, and he can tell the difference.

As when dealing with any increase in over-head costs of doing business, my computer is not regarded beyond any other over-head expenses. “Keeping up with the Jones’s” has no appeal to me, especially when it comes to the tools of my trade.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur

Hi Roy (belated seasons greetings to you and yours and best wishes for 2007).

...I guess what bothers, or frustrates the dickens out of me is that I only regard the internet and e-mail as a tool. My mentality on this is based not unlike that of a carpenter. For him, if his hammer worked, and worked well, why consider a new or modified hammer?...

You're exactly right, Amigo. We all buy and use different computers for different outcomes. If your dial-up connection(s) are more than adequate for your needs, that's great. For you. Others use the internet for more than just e-mail, etc. Some want to download songs, videos, even large software. That can be a huge hassle on a slow dial-up connection, no matter what time of day or night it is. And all dial-up connections are slow compared with the other options which may be available in one's area.

For example: have you ever tried to download a rather small-sized file by today's standards of say 3MB on your Centrin connection? If so, how long did it take you? Now try something like 500MB...how many days (or weeks) will that take?

Maybe you could take an adz to a block of wood and build a very funky-looking computer. You'd still need to buy electronic parts somewhere along the line. And you'd still need to "connect" somehow.

I wonder what your internet bill + telephone time actually costs you? For some, the total bill is neither here nor there. For me, the frustration of painfully slow downloads is extremely annoying. So much so that buying an ADSL modem, for example, for between Rp 500,000 - 1,000,000 and having access to a system that can be 6-10 times faster is worth it. That's what I would consider to be a "modified hammer".

What's that old phrase again? Oh, I remember: "Horses for courses".

If I had a hammer, I'd hammer in the morning...
Do you get driven around in a Model T Ford, by any chance? I didn't think so. Still watch B+W television? Use a crystal radio for your world news?

:shock: :D

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Lots of laughs Phil reading your post, and happy new year to you too.

In reality, my e-mail is set to block all incoming e-mails with an attached file greater than 500k in size. If I am really curious, I can have a closer look on the Centrin internet site at my blocked e-mails and decide if it’s worth the time (to download) or not.

As I said, the internet is primarily business for me...no songs, no video, and no 3d photos (sorry Bert). I pay no more than approximately 200 thousand rupiah a month to get the job done...including lots of posts here.

For me, the internet means business, except of course for my time here and other places! :p

To each his own, and my hammer is working just fine!

nomad4ever

Jan 2, 2007
Bali

Hey guys,

thanks for the valuable information of longterm residents. Makes me a bit more concerned about the coming monthly bill.

Maybe am just a bit spoiled with my last accomodation in Phuket/Thailand, where I practically had 512K Wireless access included in the rental price of my apartment, which was per se very low. So I had basically "always on/unlimited bandwidth". So it's even harder right now to accept, why I should shell out 1 Mio. Rupiah/month for a mere sh*tty dial-up service.

I can't have Speedy, as I have a digital (modern!) phone number. Haha!

But okay, guess for my blog, e-mail and the occasional picture download I will somehow survive with it. Arglglgglg! :)

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur

Roy wrote:

...As I said, the internet is primarily business for me...no songs, no video, and no 3d photos (sorry Bert). I pay no more than approximately 200 thousand rupiah a month to get the job done...including lots of posts here...

Does that figure include your telephone costs while you're on-line? Maybe you should check your receipts. And just out of curiosity, which of the two available Centrin log-on numbers do you use? One has a maximum of 33.6Kbs, the other is 56Kbs. Both of these figures are the theoretical maximum download speeds on a dial-up connection. In practice, they don't reflect the reality of what users get (in any country). There are many factors involved which can seriously compromise one's received service.

Many people get confused about how modem/down-load speeds are represented. The basic piece of "information" on a computer is called a bit. A bit represents a zero and a one. Eight bits make up one byte. Adding the prefix K to bits or bytes multiplies the basic figure by 1000 (actually, 1024, because of the nature of binary arithmetic...if you multiply 2 by itself 8 times, you get 1024, not 1000). The convention in writing these figures is like this: 56Kbs (note the small case "b" and means 56,000 bits/second), an equates to 7KBs (Kilo Bytes). So far, so good. But in reality, nobody achieves maximum rated modem speeds because of the myriad "other" factors involved.

Normal network overheads take 10% off straight away. For example: Telkom Speedy's basic broad-band service offers 384Kbs download speed. Dividing that number by 8 (to convert from bits to bytes), gives 48KBs. Taking 10% off that gives an actual, realistic download speed of 345.6Kbs (43.2KBs). Then there's this thing called a "contention ratio", which refers to how many people are actually using/sharing a connection at the same time.

"Typical" contention ratios in the west vary between 10:1 and 30:1. ("Dedicated connections" should be 1:1 but cost a lot more.) I have no idea what they are in Indonesia (service providers here don't really tell us), but they can be much more than in the west. There may well be ISPs here shoving 100+ users on one modem/port. If you dial into one of those, your speed slows down to a crawl. Sometimes, disconnecting and reconnecting might get you to one that doesn't have as many users on it.

So - how can you tell what speed you're actually getting?

There are many utilities available that can measure both your download and upload speeds in real time. My personal favourite is called DU Meter. It even has a stopwatch feature which you can start to find out exactly how much traffic has occurred on your connection, both up and down. And you can even run several stopwatches at the same time.

Network/internet congestion also takes a toll on how fast various sites download. There's no cure for that apart from trying troublesome sites at different times of the night or day. And for those of us who do want to download "bigger" files, a download manager is essential. I use Download Accelerator Pro (which I paid for). There is a free version with some advertising called Download Accelerator Plus. What they do is search the internet for the fastest available download sites for the file you want to download, download the various pieces and put them back together. In other words, they make the best possible use of the available bandwidth you have. And if your connection drops out during downloading, you can (usually) resume an interrupted download at a later time.

And nomad4ever

...I can't have Speedy, as I have a digital (modern!) phone number...

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by that. If you've got the time, please tell me some more. I still maintain that Telkom Speedy is the most affordable "broad-band" option available to (some of) us in Bali. I would dearly love to hear of something better and cheaper.

8)

nomad4ever

Jan 2, 2007
Bali

@ Sanurian,

I think as well, that Speedy is the best value for money around. Naturally I wanted to apply for it, but am not eligible. As posted on my website, you can only have Speedy, if your telephone line number starts with a 7. Not an 8.

The 7xxxxxxxxx numbers are connected to an old analogue interchange and therefore eligible to use with ADSL (Speedy).

The newer 8xxxxxxxx numbers are basically fibre optics lines, which go to a digital interchange, which don't allow ADSL to be send over those lines.

I only found out about it, after I rented our house for 1 year.
Tough luck! ;-)

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Oh gee Phil, I guess what you are about to tell me is that which has worked for me in all these past years has somehow not worked for others...meaning you?

Our average monthly telephone bill runs about 100K a month...internet use and all else considered including my wife’s family compound.

We use both Centrin numbers in our dial up modem. Even on the worst of days, one works sooner or later. Again, as I wrote before, for me this is all about getting the job done. So long as that happens, I am happy and that is it.

Funny it is, to me anyway how so many folks have opinions on this topic, and don’t even live here in Bali.

Sorry Phil, but we live in Ubud, :p Things in Sanur are totally diifferent, and it's your world, to be sure.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur

I'll look into it further, nomad4ever, when I can.

But my phone number starts with a 2. So what does that mean in the scheme of things?

No problem - I get more confused on a daily basis. In fact, if I wake up one day un-confused, I'll start to really worry.

:D

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
No problem - I get more confused on a daily basis. In fact, if I wake up one day un-confused, I'll start to really worry.

This is of course very easy to do when one is surviving on a disability pension. :shock: