Retirement KITAS

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
I return to Australia each 12 months and buy the Travel Insurance there to last 12 months whilst I'm in Bali. It will cost about A$1,000 for budget cover which includes evacuation.
I think they'll probably pick up that you're repeatedly getting a new policy every 12 months, and if you ever made a claim, I'm pretty sure they'd enquire about what visa you're using while staying in Indonesia.

Because of your age, there's just no cheap and easy option. Sucks to be old, I guess.

You could revert to using a Sosial Budaya visa, and add a 6 month visa run to your yearly schedule. Just a thought.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I think they'll probably pick up that you're repeatedly getting a new policy every 12 months, and if you ever made a claim, I'm pretty sure they'd enquire about what visa you're using while staying in Indonesia.

Because of your age, there's just no cheap and easy option. Sucks to be old, I guess.

You could revert to using a Sosial Budaya visa, and add a 6 month visa run to your yearly schedule. Just a thought.

Many Canadians buy travel insurance to go south for shopping as USA medical insurance is so expensive.... but the annual travel insurance determines you have to be back in Canada for periods of time as it is NOT a continuous insurance.
I'll get back to my own situation where I don't have any medical or life insurance but have had a Kitas for 3 years and now a Kitap for 18 months. My agent sorts things out.
I've also had two major surgeries in Prima Medika in the last year which I paid out of my self-insured medical fund....I'm 80+

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
My last renewal of KITAP was April last year and at that time I provided my agent with details of my Australian Medicare membership and details of my BIMC membbership (which is not really insurance). So it's all depends on the interaction of your agent with the Immigration people. I think you need to depend on your agent but maybe you can encourage the agent to explore more options.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Hi ronb. I don't think it's wise to broadcast those kind of details on a public web forum.
Some things are better left unsaid.
I know that you're trying to be helpful and that's much appreciated.
Just my opinion.

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
Depending on age and health pre-condition specific medical insurance may not be affordable. I self-insure and my agent managed to have that accepted for my Retirement Kitas/Kitap.
Hello Davita,could you explain how self-insurance works?Giving proof of sufficient funds for healthcare bills?
Thanks in advance,Hermit

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Hello Davita,could you explain how self-insurance works?Giving proof of sufficient funds for healthcare bills?
Thanks in advance,Hermit

There isn't any formal system. I just opened a savings account and called it 'Davita's Medical Insurance' and deposited the same amount as the last insurance proposal I had when I was age 75 and was rejected by Insurance Companies due to age. I added the same amount every subsequent year.
There are some Companies that will insure the aged but very expensive. If normal insurance is accepted it expires after 12 months and a new insurance required. My way allows the funds to build when fit and become available when sick. In Bali, last year, I had 2 operations and my funds covered most of the costs....and I had a choice of what care I wanted. Sometimes Insurance Companies are a bit mean with the medical care they are willing to pay for.
As I had a retirement Kitas it was essential to use an agent and he convinced Immigration that my 'self-insured' Insurance covered their requirement. I'm now 18 months into a Kitap so hopefully that question will not return for another 3.5 years.

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
There isn't any formal system. I just opened a savings account and called it 'Davita's Medical Insurance' and deposited the same amount as the last insurance proposal I had when I was age 75 and was rejected by Insurance Companies due to age. I added the same amount every subsequent year.
As I had a retirement Kitas it was essential to use an agent and he convinced Immigration that my 'self-insured' Insurance covered their requirement. I'm now 18 months into a Kitap so hopefully that question will not return for another 3.5 years.

Thanks Davita for the quick reply
.I am at the end of my five years Kitap,so now i seem to have to choose to take a Kitap for life,or start all over with a one-year Kitas.I have retirement visa as well.
Do you mind sharing the name of your visa agency?(or by pm if that is confidential.)
Does anyone know if it is really impossible to extend a retirement visa for a second five year period,or is that something agencies have decided together?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks Davita for the quick reply
.I am at the end of my five years Kitap,so now i seem to have to choose to take a Kitap for life,or start all over with a one-year Kitas.I have retirement visa as well.
1. Do you mind sharing the name of your visa agency?(or by pm if that is confidential.)
2. Does anyone know if it is really impossible to extend a retirement visa for a second five year period,or is that something agencies have decided together?

1. My agent is Bali Mode (Didik Supriadi, owner) Kuta Office Jl.Sriwijaya 7 Legian. 0361-765162. 0361-767126 www.balimode-biz.com
he also has offices in Ubud and Jakarta.
2. I've been told its a gov't reason and the only way would be to go back to the annual Kitas. I'm over 80 and it will be an issue for me in 3.5 years if I'm still around...They don't make provisions for Octo's.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
My last renewal of KITAP was April last year and at that time I provided my agent with details of my Australian Medicare membership and details of my BIMC membbership (which is not really insurance). So it's all depends on the interaction of your agent with the Immigration people. I think you need to depend on your agent but maybe you can encourage the agent to explore more options.

Ron B, what is BIMC? I have a medicare card and will see if this can be used if the issue comes up with conversion to Kitap.

Thaiman

May 15, 2014
The travel insurance will probably will cover me if I buy it for 12 months and then return back to Australia at the end of the 12 months, as I do each year. But the problem is if I leave Bali during the 12 months period isn't then voided. But it is a way of getting the box ticked for the Retirement Visa and certainly less expensive then paying $5,000 for Health Insurance.
When living in LOS,I would take Oz travel ins for the time I think I will be in Los before returning to Oz for a visit, if decided to stay in LOS longer, I would renew it, before it expires, over the phone, or internet. At 70 the cost was just over 3K Pa.

Thaiman

May 15, 2014

For 15 years in LOS,land of smiles, Thailand,I would take out travel ins and the ins. Co never once queried me about repeatedly getting a new policy every year.And I had made two claims, eye operations, not cheap.

Thaiman

May 15, 2014

You could revert to using a Sosial Budaya visa, and add a 6 month visa run to your yearly schedule. Just a thought.[/QUO

How old are you, what cover do you get for 1K?

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Does anyone know if it is really impossible to extend a retirement visa for a second five year period,or is that something agencies have decided together?
I have two years left of my second round of retirement KITAS so it is definitely not "impossible".
However, I don't use "agents" any more and my wife is my sponsor.
I now get it done by a retired Immigration official (for the last five years or so).

Obviously, I am not at liberty to name that retired official publicly. "He" is not doing it for money - (hard to believe, but true) - more as something to keep himself occupied and help some of his family members who work in various Immigration offices in Bali. ("Keep them on their toes"?)

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I have two years left of my second round of retirement KITAS so it is definitely not "impossible".
However, I don't use "agents" any more and my wife is my sponsor.
I now get it done by a retired Immigration official (for the last five years or so).

Obviously, I am not at liberty to name that retired official publicly. "He" is not doing it for money - (hard to believe, but true) - more as something to keep himself occupied and help some of his family members who work in various Immigration offices in Bali. ("Keep them on their toes"?)

Johnny...hermit was inquiring about extending the 2nd 5 year KITAP, which used to be available but not any more as it is now indefinite..... but does cost a lot of money especially using an agent.

You are talking about a 2nd round of applying for an annual KITAS..... which is different.
I take it you never applied for a KITAP?

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Johnny...hermit was inquiring about extending the 2nd 5 year KITAP, which used to be available but not any more as it is now indefinite..... but does cost a lot of money especially using an agent.

You are talking about a 2nd round of applying for an annual KITAS..... which is different.
I take it you never applied for a KITAP?
Yes I’m aware of that but he also said:
I am at the end of my five years Kitap,so now i seem to have to choose to take a Kitap for life, or start all over with a one-year Kitas. I have retirement visa as well.
Reading it again, if he doesn’t go for a KITAP for life, does he have to revert to a Retirement KITAS and start all over?

Then again, I don’t understand how he could have a KITAP and a retirement visa simultaneously.
Oh, and no - I have never applied for a KITAP (various reasons - long story - and basically not interested).

davita

Mar 13, 2012
1.Reading it again, if he doesn’t go for a KITAP for life, does he have to revert to a Retirement KITAS and start all over?

2. Then again, I don’t understand how he could have a KITAP and a retirement visa simultaneously.

1. I don't yet know the answer and will face that when my first 5 year Kitap expires...I'll be 83.5 then so don't wish to pay those big bucks and find I only need the indefinite Kitap for a few months.....:rolleyes:
I'm guessing that returning to an annual Kitas is the only alternative.

2. There is confusion.....he wrote two separate sentences...the 2nd sentence was writing to say that he was also on a retirement visa, similar to myself. i.e. his KITAP is a retirement one.

Last edited:

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
@#36
Jonny Cool said:
Reading it again, if he doesn’t go for a KITAP for life, does he have to revert to a Retirement KITAS and start all over?

Then again, I don’t understand how he could have a KITAP and a retirement visa simultaneously.
Oh, and no - I have never applied for a KITAP (various reasons - long story - and basically not interested).[/QUOTE]

Hermits answer:
That is quite simple,my first Kitasses and Kitap where all on the base of retirement(Lansia),that can be arranged only by an agency that has the permission to do that.(And charge accordingly,as they most likely had to pay a lot for the privilege.)
I have chosen the lifetime Kitap for peace of mind,but now i should start living more healthy to make it worth wile.
There is another catch:On the e-Kitap it does not say any more valid until...,but report at..(after five years.)Nobody seems to be able to explain what you have to do to report.Showing all paperwork again that you are eligible?Your guess is as good as mine.
Maybe Johnny's retired immigration friend knows or can find out.

Last edited: