Renting a small villa

Theo

Sep 10, 2007
Holland
I am looking for a point in the right direction to renting a villa in south of Bali. I heard it was possible to get a nice villa for around 200$ a month but while searching the web I keep stumbling upon villas that are more like 200$ a month. Is it better to get a deal when being there? Get a local to arrange this for me? Anyone?

Thanks,

Theo

Theo

Sep 10, 2007
Holland
Theo said:
I am looking for a point in the right direction to renting a villa in south of Bali. I heard it was possible to get a nice villa for around 200$ a month but while searching the web I keep stumbling upon villas that are more like 200$ a month. Is it better to get a deal when being there? Get a local to arrange this for me? Anyone?

Thanks,

Theo

Ups, i ofcourse meant to say 'more like 200$ a night'....

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
Definately the sort of thing you need to do once you are there. If you get a local to assist then you can expect their 'commission' to be built into the price.
Also, for that type of budget, mostly you will find you need to pay 6 to 12 months in advance for the rent.
My advice - stay in a hotel/homestay for a month or so while you look around - take a good look around and decide which areas you are interested in - ask around those areas for any rental homes (ruma kontract - excuse my Indonesian..).
You can also check the Bali Advertiser.

Good house hunting! (wish it was me :( )

Theo

Sep 10, 2007
Holland
Thanks Freogrl, luckily the local that will assist me will be my girlfriend, so a commision is no problem :D

Theo

Sep 10, 2007
Holland
Right now i'm looking into an appartment that is mainly used for locals. 2 million rupi for 1 month, with kitchen, AC, tv..

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
200m per month... is the grout in the bathroom mouldy? that's the thing that always frightens me about cheap accomodation, dirty / old bathrooms and kitchens.. i'd have to shower with sandles on and cook with gloves on... i'm not a germaphobe or anything, but if i'm in a bathroom other than my own, i want it to look like a bathroom at the conrad in benoa :p

hey on that note, i heard one can rent long term at some of the big hotels like hardrock, etc.. does anyone know anything more about this?

ct

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Hmmmm

I live in Bali but I also have a house contracted in Bali.

I pay Rp7 million per year! :lol:

Its a simple 2 bedroom house. There were a couple of leaks in the roof but they cost me rp50,000 to fix (though I havent replaced the stained triplex on the ceiling yet)

And although the bathroom wasn't moldy I did get the floor regrouted for next to nothing too.

Definity not a villa but great value for money for a temporary base.

BTW - Hi everyone, been a while ;)

dahlia

Oct 4, 2005
Seattle, Washington
Hi Theo,

There is a big apt building in Jl. Sakuta Sanur. It is on the right hand side (if you are coming from Jl. By Pass - across the street fm Mc Donald). The building was built in 1999. A Studio apt with kitchen and bathroom cost $100/mo. No TV though.

You can also rent a simple house for less money. Renting a villa will cost a lot more :)

Local newspapers also list houses for rent.

Good Luck with your search.

Regards

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Hi Bobby

I should update that seeing as I havent been in London since March and at the moment dont have plans to go back. (though I may go back in March again just to not lose the return half of my ticket) I live in Lombok, where my home and business are but I spend some time in Bali too, where we have a contracted house.

Off to edit my prorile now. Id get a pic on again but I dont have any small enough - unless someone can explain to me how to resize them :p

Gemma

Theo

Sep 10, 2007
Holland
Dahlia, thanks, I will look into it. Always good to have second options.

Manuel, Yes, I will drop you a mail, looking forward drinking a beer with you.

Right now, there is an apartment available, my girlfriend arranged sth very near to hear own house (still living with parents) in Kuta, so that's more comfortable.

baambaam

Nov 19, 2007
NYC
Can anyone post some good resources for finding a cheap house for a native? Or are the local newspapers the only way to go? My girl wants to find a 2 room house or apartment for 7-10 million rp per year, hopefully in Jimbaran area. Are there any online resources? Newspapers only? This too hard to find? Just saw a nice new one for 7 million but extra charge to install phone line and electric and Speedy doesn't serve there.

G

If you want to find a house for that price, the best and probably the only way is to ride around the small gangs (back streets) by motorbike.

You could walk but in that heat you would have to be crazy. :p

baambaam

Nov 19, 2007
NYC
Yeah she has a motorbike and keeps telling me it is very hard to search for apartments. Of course, I am sure it is a lot different than the pain in the ass that is my Manhattan apartment search lol.