register marriage

Nel_son

Jun 8, 2005
Canada , winnipeg
I’m a Canadian citizen who wishes to marry someone from lombok.
I know they have Canadian embassy in Jakarta not in Bali.
WE wish to register and be legally married for the purposes of me sponsoring her to my country without any marriage ceremony, Can’t afford it right now we both have children of our own. Can we simply register at the Canadian embassy in Jakarta, and what else do we need to register in Indonesia, for me I’m not aware of the procedures she to is hung up on this issue. Do we need letter of recommendation?

can any hlep and explain the process and fees!
thank you all so much!

Sergio

Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
Hi Nel_son,

Welcome! :D

It just so happens that I am Canadian, married to a Balinese and dealing with Canada Immigration. Let me just say get EVERYTHING you can!

Canada Immigration (any Immigration) is no fun and they can be really anal about stuff like this!

- Birth certificate

- Criminal record check form Lombok

- Education records

- Employment records for the last 2-3 years

- Medical reports

If she already has work lined up in Canada what ever you do, do not mention it to Canada Customs or Immigration! not even if it is volunteer work!

I would call up an immigration lawyer in Winnipeg (not an immigration officer!) they usually give free consultations of about an hour in which time you can milk him/her for as much info as possible!

Good luck!

Nel_son

Jun 8, 2005
Canada , winnipeg
Sergio are you Portuguese by any chance I am, well my parents are form faro, Algarve.
Thanks a lot for the head up! Well I’m going to Lombok , Indonesia this October for 3.5 weeks. We are getting married there by ceremony. So tell me what was your experience as you know I need as much information. So when I return I can begin the sponsor of spouse, so she can immigrate her into Canada. Nice baby it’s a boy? well this lovely women I’m very much in love has a daughter 6 years old I my self have a son my self.
So did you have to travel to bail to go ahead with the ceremony?
We would like to know your experience. And any advice would help.

Sergio

Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
Oh are you in Lomok right now? Humm in that case calling a Canada Immigration lawyer is not so easy... maybe a family member or friend in Canada can do it for you.

Also wonder if it would be easier to get her a visitors visa and not even mention sponsoring her to the Canadian Embassy in Jakarta... then apply for her immigrant status in Canada... you could then even appeal on humanitarian and compassionate grounds if her application gets turned down for what ever reasons.

Just an idea...

Sergio

Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
I see I you already got a post in as I was in the process of adding an after thought to my first post. :)

Sure let me tell you a bit about me...

Nel_son

Jun 8, 2005
Canada , winnipeg
no i,m from canada winnipeg , going to lombok to hook up with my soon to be wife. Can you marry through mail document , bcs we are not sure of that. she lives in Lombok, i want to bring her here to live with me in canada, so when i go there e are getting marriied.

Nel_son

Jun 8, 2005
Canada , winnipeg
yes that makes sense but she tried that in spain once with her ex and they refused her bcs she was not legally mairred
but yoru right . We thought of that but she doesnt want to risk that and be turned away it happend once. So this time we want to do the right way

Sergio

Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
^ I understand... I will dig up the immigration files for you tomorrow (sorry don't have time at the moment or I would do it now)

-------------

Sergio... lol... well to be honest it is actually Serge but some how in Indonesia it became Sergio. I am neither Portuguese or French, I am Dutch-Indonesian by blood (father-mother) and Candian by birth (the name Serge actually came from Sergei as my father seems to really like Sergei Rachmaninoff)... next year it iwll be Bob... lol

I had lived in Indonesia before moving back to Canada and my girlfriend from Bali came to visit me in Victoria B.C... we got married here. We are very luck to have two beautiful boys Arjuna (2) and Sadewa (7/m) (http://balidragon.com/album/family)

Sorry Nel_son... I have to go for now... will post more tomorrow.

Cheers.

Sergio

Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
Hi Nel_son,

Nice pictures! It will be nice for your son and her daughter to have a full family (for you and her as well of course) ... I am happy for you!

Well I thought about your situation and getting married in Indonesia does not really help much (other than the fact that it would be nice for her to have her family/friends there of course.) If you declare your intentions are for her to immigrate to Canada at the Canadian Embassy in Indonesia they will give you more hassle then the Immigration office here. I would still sit down with an immigration lawyer and discuss all your options. An other thing is are you thinking of getting married there and then moving here within a couple of weeks?... cause that will never happen even if she had all the paper work ready. It take a very long time which is an other reason why I think she should try from with in Canada so you can be together during that time. I would try and reassure her that what happened before will very likely not happen again. If all her documents are in order and she is in Canada it should be ok BUT be sure to talk with a lawyer and do not just take my word for it. Immigration are still and always will be hard asses but at least once you are IN Canada you have more leverage and access to various benefits such as legal aid and so on. If money is an issue I would defiantly try to apply on humanitarian and compassionate grounds in which case a lawyers help would be advised. If money is a problem as it could cost $3000+ I would go to legal aid and they will be able to help with a payment plan or even cover all expenses, depending of course on your financial situation.)

I would give you a full list of documents we needed but I am scared to leave some thing out. Anyway you have some time so go speak with a immigration lawyer.

lol... did I mention to go speak with an immigration lawyer?... lol (making fun of myself as I tend to repeat myself way to much)

Hey all the best and feel free to email me as well.

Sergio

Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
The Ironic thing is we are trying to move back to Indonesia which means all this hassle with immigration we are going through is just for us being able to be together in the mean time.

You wife to be and her daughter will be in for quite the culture shock coming to Canada! How do you think she is going to handle that? It is actually a very serious issue! Lombok vs. Winnipeg well I am sure you can understand she will feel very lost and very far away from home! As we both know Canada is truly a wonderful Country but for her it will be very difficult at first... while some people get used to it just fine others never do and become very unhappy to the point where it will cause stress between you and her...

Don't mean to scare you Nel_son... just wanted to make sure you realize how big of a move this will be for her! My wife for example would be perfectly happy hear as long as she could go back to Bali once a year for a visit... obviously that is quite an expense and since I love Bali so much we naturally decided to move there.

All the best!

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Please check out what documents you will need to get married. Indonesian certificates require many proofs in advance. I would suggest you look at this site and spend some time there as it has a lot of very useful info.

http://www.expat.or.id

It is essential you read this before going to Lombok as you will need documention for the Kantor Cipil before they will marry you. You normally will require 2 ceromonies one in the civil office and a religious one. You will have to produce your divorce papers for example and have them translated into Indonesian. Once married you are also advised to have all your indonesian papers translated into English and notorised.

I cannot speak for Canada but when I took my wife back to the UK (including 2 children born in Indonesia) it took a long time and money before getting her a stay permit for the UK. Sergo's advice about the culture shock is very valid so Good luck to you.