Real Estate Prices on Bali

peterk

May 17, 2004
Victoria Aust
Location is as already mentioned the key factor in determining the price of land. We spent a few years looking for land and settled on 20 are' in the Tabanan regency. It offered us fantastic views, close to beach , 20 min drive and access to central bali, Ubud etc. We're very happy and with the high wall arround the pool running around naked is a possibility.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
DCC, I enjoyed reading the synopsis of your article on this topic and I agree wholeheartedly that sobriety is essential when considering any real estate endeavor in Bali.

Who among us can forget our first encounter with this seductive mistress we call Bali? Who among us were not overcome with a lust to have a part of her? I can easily see newcomers to Bali as cannon fodder for slick villa developers fueled, as you point out, by a lack of regulations and laws governing real estate activity or marketing ethics.

Uluwatu, I understand your sentiments regarding foreign land ownership in Indonesia, however, it may surprise you that the vast majority of expats support that law, especially as it concerns Bali.

At the root of this issue is the aspect that with ownership goes the right of passage of that ownership to heirs. That is simply not acceptable to Balinese, and I personally support them in any efforts they undertake to preserve their land for their heirs. Among the Balinese, land ownership is directly linked to the adat dharma as it concerns ancestors. Some would say, and I would agree, this is all tied into the animist roots of Balinese culture.

Who can argue that even with land ownership laws as they currently exist, Western cultural expansion and real estate development has reached frightening levels in Bali. Can you imagine the horror of what would come if those laws were modified to typical Western laws? How long would it take, if those laws were changed, before Bali became another Disney Land or just one huge theme park?

Any foreigner who wants to make Bali their home can do so quite easily under the current laws as they apply to land ownership. I for one, pray those laws never change to allow foreign ownership of Balinese land. That would be the beginning of the end.

Peter, I hope you don’t have too many coconut palms on the other side of your high walls!

charlie

Aug 9, 2005
unhappily in sydney
Uluwatu, I understand your sentiments regarding foreign land ownership in Indonesia, however, it may surprise you that the vast majority of expats support that law, especially as it concerns Bali.

I'm with you there Oom Roy.. the minute they change that law is the minute that Bali changes as we know it ...

Look at the coast of Queensland (Aus)... look at my own little world here in Manly (sydney) ...

You don't want Bali turning out like that do you????

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
I don't know about the law change issue as there may be some benefits to amending it. I MAY (saves me from personal attack :)) argue that permiting limited ownership to individuals, as in 1 sertifikat per person for max 10 - 30 are and 1 living unit, would not be bad. Those that want to "own" now do so but still are exposed to risk. Home ownership includes membership in the community and Western individuals may help speed improvements relating to roads and waste. As it is corporations may own land and they tend to have undue influence. The one on one relationship tween the Balinese and expats is healthy and treasured, strengthening this relationship may also encourage a more controlled change that will continue with or without. Western home owners I believe would wish to help insure that the characteristic value here is preserved as that's what they want to be a part of. My opinon is that unchecked growth in tourist oriented developments (rentals, complexes, hotels, etc.) is the threat.