Rabies, how serious is this in real life on Bali?

MiSO

Jul 29, 2009
I received a newsletter about Bali and rabies was a major topic.
I know media like to exaggerate, so i am asking you guys: how serious is rabies on Bali?

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
The problem only seems to be getting worse and spreading more around the island. The solution seems simple enough to me, to try and vaccinate all dogs. The government seems very slow to act.

I just got a dog and have been taking him to the vet to get vaccinated. I said to our neighbor I would pay to get their dog vaccinated and they said it would be too hard to get him, there because he hates to be touched by anyone.

I read the vaccine only costs 30 cents, so it isn't necessarily about money. It seems like another problem is that people only start to think about it after someone gets attacked.

JUDY

May 11, 2007
seattle wa campuhan bali
My question is: How did rabies come to Bali? IN the past, there was no rabies in Bali? Has the government ever find out how this disease originate in Bali? Such a tragic state of affairs. i am an animal lover and feel just awful regarding the entire situation. we had three dogs poisoned in ubud , Campuhan ....made me sick...

chilli

Apr 24, 2008
To Spicey, just a thought, i wonder if you rang BAWA if it only costs .30cents for the vaccine,
and make a donation maybe they would send someone out and vaccinate the entire street.
:|
just my humble suggestion.

lumumba

Sep 17, 2008
Bandung-Bali-Jakarta
Hi,

What the hell did they use to kill your 3 dogs? It is not easy (I think) to find really strong poison on the market to kill a dog (quickly) and in one go. :roll:

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
People who can not afford to get their dogs vaccinated can have it done for free. My vet was part of the original team that went around the bukit vaccinating dogs. She did ours but I paid for it Rp100,000.

It would have been easy for rabies to come in from another island on one of the ferries. I used to bring my dog back and forth between Bali & Lombok with no problem and there are plenty of other people carrying all sort of animals.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Rabies is a very serious disease.
There is no known cure.
If you've been licked or bitten by an animal, you could contract it.
If you seek medical attention promptly, you might survive.
Death by rabies is a horrific affair.

Right now, rabies has spread all over the island.
I spoke to a veterinary professor earlier today and in his opinion, "It's out of control".

Rabies exists all over Indonesia. How did it get to Bali?
Some idiot either brought an infected animal here, or, an infected bat managed to fly over from a neighbouring island. Doesn't really matter.

Rabies is well and truly in Bali. The "authorities" didn't listen too carefully to advice from international experts on how to contain it when it first appeared. Sound familiar?

As usual, Indonesian knee-jerk reactions to this problem are unlikely to be successful. It's a worry.

:shock:

MiSO

Jul 29, 2009
If money is the problem, I'd open my small wallet to donate for a few who can't afford it.
But this solo action wouldn't solve the problem.

I feel a bit disappointed, I was hoping you'd spread some better sounds but thanks for the real story. I was planning to spend 6 months on Bali, but I am rethinking my plan :cry:

It's a big :?: why the government doesn't handle this with care, it will affect (or affects already) tourism.

bambang

Jan 4, 2009
"how serious is rabies on Bali?"

If put into perspective - not serious at all. No tourists have died from rabies or even contracted rabies as far as I know. According to reports than have been a dozen or so deaths from rabies in the past year, far less than from dangerous driving, malnutrition, suicide, overdoses, other easily treated medical conditions and preventables causes.

You have absolutely nothing to worry about. Notwithstanding the exaggerated analysis above, there is a treatment for rabies which is 100% effective if administered within the first couple of weeks of exposure. Exposure is usually by dog bite so any bite should be treated.

I suggest you seek a professional opinion of the risk rather than from unqualified and anonymous posters on an internet forum. Some of the hysteria seems to be another beat up by those who have long held axes to grind.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Well, MiSO

It's like this. You did start this thread by calling it:
Rabies, how serious is this in real life on Bali?
I wouldn't change my plans to visit Bali just because of rabies. After all, rabies exists in most countries of the world...Europe (including the UK), the USA, India, China, almost everywhere. The only countries I know of that don't have it, (so far), are Australia and New Zealand.

What the existence of rabies on Bali means is that you have to be careful with any animals you come in contact with. Given the huge dog population here, that can be difficult, but certainly not impossible.

I'm sorry if I've disappointed you with a truth sandwich. There's no reason to panic - just keep things in perspective and be careful.

I'm not good on answering rhetorical questions such as:
It's a big :?: why the government doesn't handle this with care, it will affect (or affects already) tourism.

So? The "government" had its chance to take appropriate measures but did things its way.

Reading a bit further, I see that bambang has this to say:
You have absolutely nothing to worry about. Notwithstanding the exaggerated analysis above, there is a treatment for rabies which is 100% effective if administered within the first couple of weeks of exposure. Exposure is usually by dog bite so any bite should be treated.
If, by the "exaggerated analysis above", he's referring to what I just wrote previously, he's a little wrong in some things.

Yes, there is a cure, if you act fast enough. It's not pleasant, but works most of the time (not sure about "100%").

To say that:
You have absolutely nothing to worry about.
is way too optimistic, (IMHO).

Sensible precaution and vigilance is what's needed.

If you get bitten, scratched or licked by a rabid animal, you have a big problem. Bali is not renowned for offering prompt or efficient medical help.

The fact that no tourist has contracted rabies, so far, is plain luck. As the disease gets an even stronger grip on the island, the risks for tourists increases as well. It's only a matter of time, especially if they believe it couldn't happen to them.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
If you get rabies, you're dead.
If you think you've been infected, there is a "cure".
IF you act quickly enough AND you can get access to it.

I'm not "qualified" to give "advice".
Unlike yourself, bambang, who seems to enjoy misreading things and telling people there's nothing to worry about based upon what? Are we to believe your assessment of the situation?

Either wake up to yourself, or POQ.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Hi mimpimanis
I always understood that UK was rabies free - but having checked it seems there was a reported case in Scotland in 2002 and nothing since.
Maybe Mel Gibson fixed it during the filming of BraveHeart. :D

Seriously, the authorities in the UK might have taken realistic and effective measures at the time. Perhaps the Indonesian government and Balinese authorities should have invited Scotland Yard, MI5/6, etc, to help out here.

The "responses" I've been seeing here remind me of Mr Bean. Apart from the fact that Mr Bean always seems to muddle his way through anything and everybody is happy in the end. (Like a typical Hollywood movie.)

I have near zero confidence in the "measures" in place here. I hope I'm wrong.

Nothingatalltoworryabout...blah blah

I wish.

8)

bambang

Jan 4, 2009
If you get rabies, you're dead.
100% wrong.

Even if you are infected, you can be cured if treated within the first couple of weeks. You are obviously misusing the word "get" for "displaying symptoms". Even if you aren't displaying symptoms you can be infected and you have "got" the rabies virus.

there's nothing to worry about based upon what
Based on the probability of contracting or dying from rabies in Bali which is far far lower than other more probable causes of which there is a long, long list.

Worldwide deaths from rabies each year: about 1500
Worldwide deaths from aircraft crashes: about 1500

Either wake up to yourself, or POQ.

LOL

udayana

Nov 21, 2009
Correction

Bali deaths from rabies each year: 0
Bali deaths from road accidents: 3000

Do you walk everywhere?

aquaman

Apr 6, 2009
udayana said:
Correction

Bali deaths from rabies each year: 0
Bali deaths from road accidents: 3000

Do you walk everywhere?

perhaps introduce yourself before jumping in "boots and all" :roll: well not quite "all " but you get my meaning.

3000 is a bad figure although if everybody walked there would be a hell of a lot more dog bites!

bambang

Jan 4, 2009
To make another comparison - you have more chance of being murdered than dying of rabies. Tourists have been murdered in the recent past in their beds, outside bars, on the beach. The thought of being murdered hasn't stopped the millions of tourists visiting every year. It's not something I have ever worried about.

In fact tourist numbers have rebounded despite rabies if the official figures are accurate.